Coleman thermoelectric cooler worth saving?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimotos95

Reaction score
Long story short is I saved it from taking a trip to the dump. both fans are seized. They are off the shelf 60mm and 92mm computer fans so it will be about $10 to replace both of them.
When I plug it in the heat sink inside gets cold and the one outside gets warm so I think the problem is only the fans.
IMG_20150321_143531_zpsc6cf140f.jpg

So what do you think, invest $10 to see if it works? toss it? I figure power use and noise can't be worse than my large 110v compressor mini fridge, plus if it works it saves me having to buy a bigger inverter.

minimotos95 said:
Long story short is I saved it from taking a trip to the dump. both fans are seized. They are off the shelf 60mm and 92mm computer fans so it will be about $10 to replace both of them.
When I plug it in the heat sink inside gets cold and the one outside gets warm so I think the problem is only the fans.

So what do you think, invest $10 to see if it works? toss it? I figure power use and noise can't be worse than my large 110v compressor mini fridge, plus if it works it saves me having to buy a bigger inverter.

Be warned that the cooling capacity is a maximum of 40 degrees below ambient air temperature.

I also understand that they are a bit of a power hog so that most people end up using them only while the vehicle is in transit as opposed to overnight while the vehicle is parked.

Sooo, whether it's worth the $10., hard to say. Time for a cost/benefit/use analysis... :)

I used one last fall and it performed very well but I did unplug it when I stopped for the night.It kept things cool overnight and had nothing spoil;including my insulins. I also did like I do with ice coolers and know what I'm getting out before I open it to keep it as cool as possible.If I remember correctly..$99.00 at Walmart new.Got mine from a dumpster just like new!I did sanitize it first though!!

Well I just ordered fans. $7.28. I figure if it doesn't work I have some extra fans for much needed ventilation. If it does I either can sell my mini fridge or sell the coleman for $10-20.

HDR- care to elaborate on why, please. I'm interested in knowing.

I was thinking the same thing, just could use as an ice box if it doesn't work. Peace!

I know I don't use my thermo electric fridge due to the 8a @12v continuous power draw. It cools fine and is well insulated but it will take the group 27 deep cycle down to 50% in 5 or 6 hours. As an emergency back up the solar can easily run in the day and battery at night but it's a lot of power for a small fridge.

basically what jim said. they draw to much power and the don't work. well if it's below 70 degrees they kinda work. highdesertranger