Coleman stove/grill combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadBob

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these and if so thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/h3errr8

Seems like a good stove at least from the sales pitch.
I really like the idea of a grill.  I *think* I can basically live on a single burner, with the grill side as an aux.

Nope,
When I see that I see nothing but a slimy greasy mess that needs to be cleaned with available cold water.

Once cleaned It will sit mostly clean and the residual grease will go rancid and stink.

Not for me.......

Carry a small propane grill, the grease burns away.
It is still a mess but slip it into a plastic bag and tie it on the roof.

Dave

Almost there: The only long term non stick is cast iron.

Djkeev: Yup. sounds bout right.

Gonna check one out at a local outfitter (who charges 2x the price literally) and decide.

In all honesty, been loving my Lodge cast iron charcoal hibachi for grilling.

James at Enigmatic Nomadic has one and he loves it. We made a video comparing it to my Weber portable propane grill and it was close, they work surprisingly well. (The video is no longer available, but conceivably could come back)

I have this stove and have used it on several recent trips to Crater Lake and eastern Oregon

Pros:
The stove is powerful; I was able to bring a pot of ice cold water to a rapid boil in around 6 minutes in 30 degrees.
Didn't use as much fuel as I expected -- a small can lasted for several days

Cons:  
Electronic Ignition failed me almost every time I tried it in cold and/or altitude.  
Wind block panels were hit and miss -- one side kept disengaging for me in light breezes
It's bulky.  

If I was buying a stove today, I'd go with something more compact and probably a single burner, but if you must have a grill and a stove, this is an OK choice.

I have one, I honestly wish I'd just gone with a double burner tho.

I have one of those too.  It is great for grilling outside and has a handy place to heat up a side dish too.  I won't grill inside.

If you don't plan on grilling anything, a two burner stove would probably be a better fit.

NomadBob said:
Has anyone used one of these and if so thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/h3errr8

Seems like a good stove at least from the sales pitch.
I really like the idea of a grill.  I *think* I can basically live on a single burner, with the grill side as an aux.

I had one of those a few years back.  It worked OK.  It's doesn't have a cover and is a little small for serious grilling.  IMHO, you'd be better off with a two burner stove.

I have a Camp Chef 2 burner stove that I can put a griddle on, or a grill. so I can go back and forth. actually I am thinking of adding a pizza oven. yes all these are available for my stove. highdesertranger