Coleman catalytic heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp

Reaction score
<P>Has anyone here used&nbsp;a Coleman catalytic heater in a van? I have read several posts where&nbsp;people on this forum&nbsp;have&nbsp;used them&nbsp;in trailers, but I haven't seen a post regarding&nbsp;them being used&nbsp;in a van. Some have said they plan to use them, but haven't actually done&nbsp;so yet. &nbsp;My concern is the 35 gallon gas tank directly&nbsp;under&nbsp;the floor. Is it safe to use one of these&nbsp;in&nbsp;a van? Is it safe to&nbsp;leave it on all night in such a small space?</P>

<P>Thank you, She. </P>

Which Coleman Catalytic Heater?<div>The Propane or the White Gas one?</div><div>The propane is fine in the van, I have used them before.&nbsp;</div><div>The White Gas/Naptha Gas is too expensive now. Up here it is $17 per Gallon, and the catalytic will go through that in 2.5-3 nights!</div><div><br></div><div>Just make sure you have ventalation.</div>

<P>Thank you WR. I plan to use the small Coleman&nbsp;Pro Cat propane heater. </P>

Blk,&nbsp;<div>Since I hate using those tiny disposable propane tanks,&nbsp;I was thinking (when I get mine), to use a 1-foot section of 5" wide PVC to use as a replacement for the little propane tank (to act as a stand), so I can use my 7lb propane tank w/10foot extension. &nbsp;I would drill a whole in the side of the PVC to run the extension hose into the side and up into the heater.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Another option was using a swing-arm type setup (bolted to heater handle, and would use just an extension hose) and hanging it from the side of a wall, pointing upward.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Now that I'm thinking about it, the latter would provide a safer mount setup for Gunner... That tail of his...lol&nbsp;</div>

I like the size of the small Coleman, but wonder if 1500 btu is enough for my bus? I know someone on another forum that has one in her pleasureway ( roadtrek clone) so I might try to get ahold of her. I know my mr buddy works fine on low (4400 btu) in my 14" travel trailer, so it might be just be enough to take the chill off.
Les

Hey Les,<div>I have a small 1500&nbsp;Coleman&nbsp;as well, it is older and I put it in my 14ft camper/truck as well. It take the chill off, but when it is very cold or the wind blows it was not enough, so I had to pull the curtain across and divide the inside by half to keep warm. When it was warmer it was all I needed and it heated up the inside nice and fast, but now that it is colder, below freezing, the answer is no.&nbsp;</div>

Les,<div>sorry I have not set up the 4000 btu Big Buddy yet as it has not been cold enough for that one yet. Right now I am still using the little Coleman, 1500 btu or the kerosene 4000 btu unit. I like it right now because I can choke it right down to just a glow, so it is not so hot when it is milder out.&nbsp;<br></div><div><br></div><div>The problem with the Buddy heaters is that the minimum setting is 4k btu and that is too hot and will waste too much propane just yet. It is only down around freezing right now, so I will drag it out until it hits about -5&nbsp;Celsius&nbsp;or so on a regular basis.</div>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">The problem with the Buddy heaters is that the minimum setting is 4k btu and that is too hot and will waste too much propane just yet. It is only down around freezing right now, so I will drag it out until it hits about -5&nbsp;Celsius&nbsp;or so on a regular basis.</span>
<div><br></div><div>Agreed, which is why I'm going to stock both, but mount the smallest one on a scissor-type wall mount. &nbsp;I had the small coleman in my 30 foot Suntracker Party Hut, and the cooling area was larger than my Van's, and also had canvas sides and top (you know those open lake cold nights). &nbsp; The small coleman kept it warm enough to take the chill off, much how Seraphim describes necessary...</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial">I'm just posting my Coleman Cat heater set up now on my thread, "Simple Survival Expedition". Take a look</font>

<div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4">This is the answer I posted on my thread:</font></span></div><span id="post_message_1270960299" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><br></font></span></div>My cap is not insulated. I have no intention of doing so. I know the important thing is to have proper&nbsp;ventilation. A 3 wick survival candle will keep you warm enough in your stranded car at -20.</font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><br></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4">Having said that, 1500 btu's will keep me warm in very cold temps. I think a lot of people make the mistake of trying to heat a&nbsp;vehicle that is almost impossible to insulate. Nothing can beat a good cold weather sleeping bag. I don't use one though. I wear thermal underwear, fleece jogging pants and hoodie, cotton socks with acrylic winter socks. Also a pair of those white cotton gloves that you can buy in a bundle of 10. These are great when sleeping or just relaxing. I use a 0 degree bag with a bed comforter. I don't like a sleeping bag because I turn a lot when I sleep and have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Also this heater lasts 14 hours.</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4"><br></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" size="4">The Golf cat looks good, but I like the extra hours I get with the Sportcat. Also it heats&nbsp;straight&nbsp;up so there is less chance of it burning anything. Just make sure you have a fan for air&nbsp;circulation. &nbsp;The fan I use draws only .3 amps and runs well over 24 hours on one of my power packs.</font></div></span>

WildernessReturn said:
Les,<DIV>sorry I have not set up the 4000 btu Big Buddy yet as it has not been cold enough for that one yet. Right now I am still using the little Coleman, 1500 btu or the kerosene 4000 btu unit. I like it right now because I can choke it right down to just a glow, so it is not so hot when it is milder out.&nbsp;<BR></DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>The problem with the Buddy heaters is that the minimum setting is 4k btu and that is too hot and will waste too much propane just yet. It is only down around freezing right now, so I will drag it out until it hits about -5&nbsp;Celsius&nbsp;or so on a regular basis.
&nbsp;&nbsp; Hi WildernessReturn, &nbsp;I have a 3000btu Coleman Blackcat in my TC and it puts out too much heat for such a small space. You mentioned choking your heater down to a glow. Can I do this with the Blackcat and if so, how do I go about doing it? Thanks</DIV><P>&nbsp;</P>

Starman,<div>i was tired sorry. The message was not written the best, the Kerosene can be chocked down, playing with the dial. The Propane I have not played with yet that way and not sure if it is safe to do so.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The way the Catalytic works best is by the saturation glow. I have a smaller, 1500 btu propane heater, but the knob is not working properly so it is either on high &nbsp;or I use a clamp to keep it from going off, and I think it is in the 3/4 to 1/2 range on the dial, if the dial worked properly. Right now, this little piggy heater, guzzles the small bottle in 6 hrs, so not anywhere near the 14 that Johnny gets.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Look on online ads like kijiji.ca of for the US folks, craigslist, &nbsp;for used kerosene heaters, but if your not so high up in the cold belt like us, maybe just heat up before going to bed, then turning it off. Another option would be some of the&nbsp;set-ups&nbsp;that Johnny posted in his very popular message there. My Kerosene heater is a bit too big, the smaller ones I picked up are problematic, one has a glass cover that is broken, Sunbeam Model, and I can not source a globe for it, so can not use it. The other has some issues with the wick and the mechanism.&nbsp;</div>

WildernessReturn said:
Starman,<DIV>i was tired sorry. The message was not written the best, the Kerosene can be chocked down, playing with the dial. The Propane I have not played with yet that way and not sure if it is safe to do so.&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>The way the Catalytic works best is by the saturation glow. I have a smaller, 1500 btu propane heater, but the knob is not working properly so it is either on high &nbsp;or I use a clamp to keep it from going off, and I think it is in the 3/4 to 1/2 range on the dial, if the dial worked properly. Right now, this little piggy heater, guzzles the small bottle in 6 hrs, so not anywhere near the 14 that Johnny gets.&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><BR></DIV><DIV>Look on online ads like kijiji.ca of for the US folks, craigslist, &nbsp;for used kerosene heaters, but if your not so high up in the cold belt like us, maybe just heat up before going to bed, then turning it off. Another option would be some of the&nbsp;set-ups&nbsp;that Johnny posted in his very popular message there. My Kerosene heater is a bit too big, the smaller ones I picked up are problematic, one has a glass cover that is broken, Sunbeam Model, and I can not source a globe for it, so can not use it. The other has some issues with the wick and the mechanism.&nbsp;</DIV>
&nbsp; Thanks Wilderness. I think I'll&nbsp;stick with&nbsp;propane and downsize to the Coleman Sportcat, which puts out only 1500 btu's (this may be the one you have). Half of what the Blackcat puts out and it's supposed to go 14 hours on a bottle. Also, I'll turn it off before going to bed. Not sure about the Sportcat, but the instructions for the Blackcat says you must have a fresh air opening of at least&nbsp;6 sq. in. for ventilation and to turn it off when sleeping.

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial">The Sportcat has only 2 settings, on and off. It does last 14 hours, just like the box says. One of the reasons I chose this one is the 14 hours. I won't run out of fuel at 3 in the morning. If your Sportcat gets fewer hours of operation, get a new one.</font>

<P>Bought a new Sportcat heater and fired it up to burn off the oil, etc. to get rid of the stink. It's been running for 5 1/2 hours now and still smells bad. Guess I'll just go ahead and&nbsp;let it keep burning until the propane cylinder runs out, as someone here suggested. Maybe by then the stink will be gone.&nbsp;I'm wondering if it takes longer to do this with the Sportcat since it only puts out 1500 btu's.</P>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial">I did get rid of the smell &nbsp;towards the end of the 14 hour burn. I think the smell comes from the metal guard over the flame pad. It has to be a pretty high quality paint that is baked into the metal. When I did my reviews research on the net this was a common complaint. I did my first burn outside a friend's place.</font>