Code name "Journey"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
I know, I know- I've been gone a while.
RL stuff and things.. - you know..

I have a new project.  

Journey is a 6x10 Interstate  (much better than the last attempt..!)
Journey.jpgOkMomNowWhat.jpg
Came with 3/8 walls, 35oo Dex Axle, Welded doors.. etc.. Suuuper nice.
Been busy this last month or so, trying to get it ready for this season's RTR.

Put in a window..window 0-5.jpg
FloorFLooR.jpg
Painted, found a kitchen-desk, and insulated walls/ceilingTrimUp.jpg
Interior door locksecurity.jpg (goes through the Steel Frame of the Trailer..)

Kids approve of the new bed..comfyBed.jpg

working on ventilation.. Central air.. lolCentAir.jpg
(actually just the fresh intake)

will eventually have draw fan, solar, 12v/usb plugs here and there, trim around the window, peeps in the other 3 sides, and other stuff...
Not sure if I can make it to AZ this season.... so much to do...

Attachments

• Journey.jpg
    Journey.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 20
  • OkMomNowWhat.jpg
    OkMomNowWhat.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 19
  • window 0-5.jpg
    window 0-5.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 14
  • FLooR.jpg
    FLooR.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 19
  • TrimUp.jpg
    TrimUp.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 22
  • comfyBed.jpg
    comfyBed.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19
  • security.jpg
    security.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CentAir.jpg
    CentAir.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 19
Found and installed my floor vent cover.
Goodwill had it mislabeled as a 'baking pan..'  pfff

Should do a fine job keeping road-spray/dirt/stuff out of my floor vent air intake.
FloorVentCover.jpg

(and HI Doug)

Attachments

• FloorVentCover.jpg
    FloorVentCover.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 26
Never thought of putting a floor vent in...interesting idea. It may help with cross ventilation, and keep the condensation down when cooking. I like the idea of pulling cool air from underneath the camper on a hot night (it might be a few degrees cooler than ambient air temps).

yep- that is why.
(before I put the lino in..)
CentAir.jpg
and it is right at the edge of the bed, so I can utilize the cool in summer if I want.

I also painted the edge of the hole with bedliner.. to help protect the plywood from moisture incursion.

Attachments

• CentAir.jpg
    CentAir.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
GypsyDogs said:
Found and installed my floor vent cover.
Goodwill had it mislabeled as a 'baking pan..'  pfff

Should do a fine job keeping road-spray/dirt/stuff out of my floor vent air intake.

(and HI Doug)
adaptable concept for a hidden litter box....if you can train your cat to push a lever to open and close it, then another lever to empty it out ;)

Do you have a way to close it off to prevent vehicle fumes from getting inside your cargo trailer while moving?

Um.. Don't have a cat, have 2 dogs.

And I'm pretty sure 'vehicle fumes' won't be a real problem because

A- the trailer does not have the stupid 'scoop-vent system' you usually see on cargos, so it won't have active draw when in motion

B- vent is at the rear of the trailer, not the nose--where the vent is, the air should be well stirred. Should be no worse than all the other air in the vicinity.

And if i need to, i can just Close the vent...

More stuff..
mounted the spare.. rubber bungies and a hefty cable/padlock..
spare me.jpg
it'll do for now..

Got the battery 'nailed down'
BatteryDown.jpg

Ambient lighting for the kitchen area..
KDAmbience.jpg

and figured out how to Not get locked inside..
Add a ring around the lower post, and a padlock through both. (oh, and some JBweld on the pivot point of the D-ring)
OutSecure.jpg

Attachments

• BatteryDown.jpg
    BatteryDown.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 13
  • spare me.jpg
    spare me.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 10
  • OutSecure.jpg
    OutSecure.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 20
  • KDAmbience.jpg
    KDAmbience.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 17
I love that you are re purposing the desk for a kitchen, looking forward to seeing the end result!

I love your floor vent idea! My trailer has a small hole in the floor that he came with that the last owner used as a portable A/C exhaust, but I like your idea even better! It won't take much to make that change to a regular floor vent. And I'm SURE that I can come up with a similar bottom cover. I know I've got one just like it in somewhere in my kitchen right now. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I'm at least 16 months away from beginning my travels, but it's pretty much on my mind full-time right now. I want my trailer to be fully ready when I retire. I don't want to spend the first 6 months trying to get my trailer ready. That's why I'm gradually making purchases right now when I find a good sale.

Looks like a great project. I especially like the floor vent idea. Don't step thru it by accident. I remember having one in my van years ago when doing surveillance. 120 inside, pop open the vent and wham it was like air-conditioning! In my case I used a bait hatch for a boat and added a screen.

moved battery to rear, and fuse panel.. sigh.. good thing I haven't gotten the ceiling in yet..

fiddling with wiring ends and bits..
wwt.png

Attachments

• wwt.png
    wwt.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 23
***alleged TOUR video***

Not everything is covered in this vid.. but gives you a good nutshell..

GypsyDogs said:
***alleged TOUR video***

Not everything is covered in this vid.. but gives you a good nutshell..

IM a bit late to your build thread here. Really nice  place you have there. Looks super homey and much larger than I thought. The windows are great and your "helpers" look super content. Are you full timing?

I absolutely love that fan install idea using the formed metal pan parts. Looks really cool like a pro did it... Now all it just needs are some copper or brass parts and you'd have your steampunk wall art. I mounted two small trucker style fans over the bed in my class C. I used a pulse width modulation (PWM) speed controllers that work super good. The ones I used were 10 amp but Amazon has various types rated up to 60 amps for under $20. If you hook one up, you can dial in any speed you want from 0-100%. I find the fans make much noise at lower speeds while still moving a bunch of air, and the PWM speed control saves on battery power.