Cocooning heat inside a van by creating a wool enclosure.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arashi

Reaction score
Im looking to make this in the next few weeks.

K9Bufhg.jpg

[video=youtube]

I would love to speculate, but think it would be taken wrong.

Care to explain in detail using words, what's going on there?

For sure  :) Im going to wrap around a wool rug over a custom wood burning stove to trap the heat inside it. 

rKauezF.jpg

please be very careful. in my book a minivan is no place for a wood burning stove. so you are going to build a wood stove and some how use a wool blanket to trap the heat? have you ever built a wood stove? if you could get a wood stove to burn correctly in a minivan I don't think you will need a wool blanket, it's going to be hot as hell in there. highdesertranger

For sure the dangers of carbon monoxide will be great. I want to use a gasification stove to burn a limited amount of wood at a time and trap this heat for maximum efficiency.

My previous BBQ.

It seems you only want to keep your bottom half hot?

The smaller the area, the better the heat is contained... and since our blood is constantly pumping, the rest of the body is kept warm.

Is this just an experiment or your full-time rig?

If (experiment) {
send_encouragement();
} else {
discourage();
}

whoaaaa I would be super careful on this contraption. wrap a blanket around wood stove. doesn't sound like a good plan to me. So much can go wrong so easily but I am sure you will experiment and find a good fashion somehow to make this work. Best of luck on this experiment.

what is that pic?
a toaster oven and turkey pan with lid on top?
LOL I am kinda lost on this wood burning stove being made even. Can't comment much more cause it seems way left field as a 'contraption' that seems scary if ya think about it :)

I respect your creativity and ingenuity, but you should plan things out more carefully and consider the opinion of experienced dwellers over your own (nothing compares to "in field" experience).
For starters, I am now spending my second winter in Wisconsin. Trust me when I say that I tried wool. I recommend using various materials in layers. I use an outer layer of blackout material, middle layer of fleece blanket, and inner layer of canvas tapestry for my curtains. 
Also, maybe test out the stove by lighting it up and placing strips of paper near and around it to determine if any wool-to-stove contact could start a fire. 
Good luck, don't die.

As a woodstove owner of 33 years, safety requires a perimeter around the stove of nonflammable materials, and wool would not fall into that category.

The stove you plan looks oversized for a van, too, it seems to me. You could not only set the wool on fire but melt or possibly inflame other items in your interior.

If you really want a woodstove, the little marine ones are quite small and work well, but having one in a van may still be an issue.

Your plan looks downright life threatening, I must say.

Im hoping the toaster will dissipate the heat to be none threatening...but I will be monitoring it for sure.

thurm said:
Is this just an experiment or your full-time rig?

If (experiment) {
 send_encouragement();
} else {
 discourage();
}
My goal is to make micro homes to sell.

RoamerRV428 said:
whoaaaa I would be super careful on this contraption.  wrap a blanket around wood stove.  doesn't sound like a good plan to me.  So much can go wrong so easily but I am sure you will experiment and find a good fashion somehow to make this work.  Best of luck on this experiment.
Thanks... it will actually be a thicker wool rug.  

highdesertranger said:
that's not a gasification stove.  highdesertranger
Inside the computer case will be a SoloStove brand stove.

RoamerRV428 said:
what is that pic?
a toaster oven and turkey pan with lid on top?
LOL I am kinda lost on this wood burning stove being made even.  Can't comment much more cause it seems way left field as a 'contraption' that seems scary if ya think about it :)
Yes, I have to make sure all the seals are tight so it doesnt leak smoke... its multi chambered so that there will be two places to cook.

RVTravel said:
Get life insurance if you have a spouse/children.
For sure this is risky.

CalciferTheAstro said:
I respect your creativity and ingenuity, but you should plan things out more carefully and consider the opinion of experienced dwellers over your own (nothing compares to "in field" experience).
For starters, I am now spending my second winter in Wisconsin. Trust me when I say that I tried wool. I recommend using various materials in layers. I use an outer layer of blackout material, middle layer of fleece blanket, and inner layer of canvas tapestry for my curtains. 
Also, maybe test out the stove by lighting it up and placing strips of paper near and around it to determine if any wool-to-stove contact could start a fire. 
Good luck, don't die.
Thank you, Im hoping I can keep insulation light but use little wood to keep the van warm. Im looking to use Burlap in other areas and try layering.

Are you trying to create a sauna? That wood stove is going to create more then enough heat to warm your van. I could see your approach is you had no heat source and were trying to retain more body heat. You also have to remember your body gives off a lot of moisture and wool likes to absorb it. I used to wear wool work clothes and they were great until it gets wet.

I have burned a large woodburner for 25 seasons now in my old farmhouse, and can tell you that mistakes sometimes happen. Red hot coals do spill out of the door, chimneys get clogged, and allow smoke into the living area, ANYTHING within 3 feet of it will eventually dry out, and ignite, or god forbid...a chimney fire.

Safety is paramount when you have an open flame. My woodstove is surrounded on 2 sides with a metal coated heat shield, and underneath with tile, and no flammibles withing 3 full feet.

I wouldn't try this for fear of invisible gasses killing you in your sleep.

Latest posts