Cocooning heat inside a van by creating a wool enclosure.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the advice... Im hoping the need to continually restock twigs into the stove, in 10 minute intervals to keep it lite, will fool proof some of the dangers.

Im wondering if I should use tubing to feed the stove fresh air from the holes in the vans floor... previously used to bolt seats in.

WanderingRose said:
Be aware, too, that when you open the door of a woodstove to add wood to an existing fire, it is common for sparks to fly out of that open door.

Thanks, Im going to need a mesh cover or something for the sparks... I already have an extinguisher.    

John61CT said:
in the US?
In Canada, specially living in Vancouver where the cheapest house start from 1 million Canadian dollars.

Mattkcc said:
Are you trying to create a sauna? That wood stove is going to create more then enough heat to warm your van. I could see your approach is you had no heat source and were trying to retain more body heat. You also have to remember your body gives off a lot of moisture and wool likes to absorb it. I used to wear wool work clothes and they were great until it gets wet.
I hate the cold so much... it would be nice to sweat in this weather. Im hoping the dry heat the stove creates will keep everything dry except the windows which will be sweating too Im betting.

phLGiTC.jpg

hCg6xWC.jpg

Price out your commercial liability insurance before letting anyone else use / test your setup.

About the correct size of stove for a van would be something I was researching today for my small 8'x16' home shop. Google the videos of a DIY 50 cal army surplus ammo box that people have converted to a nice little stove about 12"x6"x8".