Coating/Covering plywood suggestions for my build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm 85% done with the build in my 2016 RAV4 hybrid using finished plywood (not CDX or sheathing).  Two things to address, one more serious that the other.

My primary concern is protecting all the plywood I've built out in my SUV from liquid spills and just general wear and tear (the edges are a little rough in places and I don't want the plywood to cheap away over time).  I'd like to hit the easy button and spray paint the entire thing black to match the interior of my car and preserve stealth, but I'm not sure if it would be better to carpet it.  Carpet adds more cost and weight, but perhaps more sound deadening, nicer touch, and doesn't get as beat up aesthetically over time.

...and secondly, the car smells like a wood shop.  Not a horrible smell, but does it diminish over time if I do not coat or cover it?

Does anyone leave their plywood naked?  How as it done over time?

Other ideas to address the structure?  Use poly to seal in the wood smell and protect it, but then it's not as stealth?

Thanks!

I'm no expert and my experience ins probably not going to help you but I coated mine before I installed it in my truck camper renovation. Used 3M 5200 fast cure marine sealant on the edges than then two coats of heavy duty outdoor paint/sealer on flat surfaces. I used CDX though and my used with not be in the stealth genre and more in the remote/wilderness arena

Using a liquid waterproof glue like TiteBond III thinned slightly just enough that it spreads and self levels painted on covering the complete surface with cloth or canvas embedded in it will make it super strong and pretty much seal it from absorbing fluids, sheets for smooth and canvas for textured, then paint it black. It is a lot of work but it will last many years. It is basically done on boat decks this way.

I painted mine with oil-based enamel, but semigloss or gloss latex would have probably worked just as well. After all, it's plastic. I also used self-adhesive vinyl flooring squares on the countertop.

the smell is the plywood off gassing. it's best not to close up the vehicle when you are in it while this goes on.

spray paint doesn't work good on wood. there are several options to seal it up. kinda depends on what you want. you can paint it with a good latex paint or my favorite is to clear coat it. I love the look of wood and see paint as a cover up of the beauty. but in the end it's your choice. highdesertranger

The smell will go away, park it in the hot sun and leave the windows partially open for some air movement. The heat will accelerate the off gassing process. But if you want an easy to wash surface just buy some self priming floor paint. Get the indoor paint formulas because the exterior formulas will off gas mildew preventing chemicals that are a long term paint ingredient used in outdoor paints and varnishes. You can purchase eco friendly, no smell, paints at Home Depot and paint stores.

I have covered plywood with very thin carpet/ fabric that they use to cover speaker cabinets. I used spray contact cement to hold it down. A staple gun would probably work as well. Home Depot had it in grey.

Just use rubber backed throw rugs. Much easier to clean than a permanently installed carpet.

I believe the smell of the wood will dissipate over time. I see you used finish plywood. I used rough plywood on my floor of my van. I painted it with deck paint. It is holding up pretty well even though I did not prime it and it only has one coat. It has lots of scratches and such from use. I will give it a second coat this summer. 

But before I painted it, I was having trouble with splintering. The paint has stopped that. 

I really liked the suggestion above about embedding cloth into the paint. It may be overkill because how strong does your plywood have to be to sleep on it. But if you need the strength, wow, what a way to go!

I did not paint or seal in any way the plywood I used for my bed. It is covered with mattress and sleeping bag so I am not worried about it coming in contact with liquid spills. Just never thought about sealing it. It may be different in your vehicle.

I covered a lot of my wall panels with 1/16" thick closed cell foam and then marine vinyl before the panels were installed. The rest of the cabinetry and wall panels were painted (primer first) with a good kitchen paint. Flooring is vinyl laminate (wood texture) that is easy to keep clean and looks great.

After 3 1/2 years of full-time living it's about time for a repaint but considering the amount of wear and tear I put this van through, it's held up remarkably well.

My plywood is bare. I never smelled any fumes. Sometimes over thinking is the enemy. If you go full time I guarantee you your setup will not look the same in 6 months.

I realize my sister will change over time, but I definitely don't want to leave it there as I want to be as still as possible to match the black interior. The other thing about leaving it fair that worries me is what if I spill water inside? I guess that could lead to swelling of the plywood?

Moisture is your enemy. Whether from spills or from leaks or form condensation, water will find you and your unsealed surfaces.
I sealed every surface of every piece of wood in my build with urethane. Top, bottom and all four edges of every sheet and stick, with surfaces sealed BEFORE assembly.
That is what you do in boats.

That might seem excessive but consider that not only has this saved me from a few spills and a minor leak, it also means my wood is more stable to changes in humidity, less expansion/contraction and less ambient humidity in the vehicle.
The less your interior and belongings can absorb humidity, the less change of air you need to reduce ambient humidity in your rig.

Your best long term option would be to use a polyurethane, you can get tinted ones even black. Carpet won’t prevent water damage just hide it.