CO2 sensor beeps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiTown2SD

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 92 Ford E150 Econoline conversion. I took her out on her maiden voyage under new ownership. We went on a trip from Southern CA to northern Utah. She performed better than expected after I got used to white knuckling the drift especially when dealing with Semi trucks.

I had purchased a fire extinguisher and a CO2 detector. I didn’t do much research before leaving and was unsure where I should attach my detector. I temporarily placed it In the overhead storage. At least twice on my travels the sensor went off while I was driving. Both times it occurred after about an hour on the road. The overhead doesn’t really have ventilation and is covered by the fiberglass roof.

Was I in any danger? Should I be concerned? What is the proper placement in the van for a CO2 detector? On my way back from Utah I placed the sensor in the cabin and did not experience any alerts. Any words of wisdom for a newbie? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CO detector = Carbon monoxide. CO2 is what you exhale. sounds like CO is building up in your overhead storage. highdesertranger

Thanks for clarifying that... let me see if I can remove the 2 from CO2! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, CO, not CO2...

Your thread title says it 'beeps'....

Did the alarm just 'beep' occasionally? (indicating a weak battery)

Or did it go into full alarm mode? (loud repeating alarm siren)

The CO detectors made for S&B house do not do very well with the high temperatures sometimes found inside vehicles. But any time a CO detector sounds a alarm, it should be treated as an emergency. Until it is proven otherwise.

Check the date on the detector.  CO detectors have a life of 5 - 7 years.  I had one that started giving false warnings at 3 1/2 years.