cleaning solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05kas05

Reaction score
what do you guys use to clean your solar panels? do you just wash them with soap and water as you wash your van?
i washed my van today and wanted to wipe the panels down at the same time, i use a 50/50 mix of vineger and water to wash my windows would it be ok to wash/wipe down the panels with the same solution.

yes vinegar is fine. I use it for all kinds of general propose cleaning. if you have hard water vinegar will stop the water spots. highdesertranger

Before using anything other than mild detergent and water, I would check with the panel manufacturer, to make sure that your intended cleaner didn't remove any coatings.

you have a safe and happy xmas too sir, sorry if my post was not a great topic or it was a bore to you.
i just wanted to be sure before i ruined or messed up something on my new panels
i was wanting to use vinegar because it always gets my windows sparkly clean but the soap and water i use always leaves a film from the hard water. again sorry for my newb questions i'll try to find a better more exciting topic next time.

Sorry,,, not my intention. I apologize, mine get so dusty in the years when it rains I just wipe. These are fairly hardy even the Chinese ones. I have never cleaned the panels at my stix.

Solar modules are pretty tough, but then they have to be. They have to endure the elements for decades. As long as one doesn't get to crazy by using solvents or abrasives there shouldn't be a problem. I use water or water with a little ammonia and wipe gently with a long handled squeegee and paper towels.

GREAT question. mild cleaning solutions such as vinegar water is perfect. Just be sure all the grit is rinsed away before wiping or squeegeeing.

wagoneer said:
Sorry,,, not my intention. I apologize, mine get so dusty in the years when it rains I just wipe. These are fairly hardy even the Chinese ones. I have never cleaned the panels at my stix.

no worries man when you have been on a forum as long as it looks like you have I could see where the topics or threads could get old after awhile. I normally use the search to make sure I'm not bringing up a topic that's been talked about over and over but in this case I just posted away without looking first. Thanks for the info it is appreciated .

Completely off topic but... My aunt used to clean almost everything with vinegar. To this day my cousin can't eat a salad with vinegar on it. Says she doesn't want cleaning solutions on her food!!!

yep, vinegar mixed with water or strait is a great all purpose cleaner. I also use it mixed with bleach to clean/disinfect water jugs, canteens, and water tanks. highdesertranger

Acid with hypo-chlorate equals gas chlorine release. Many have been injured in close spaces. That would be vinegar and Clorox. Also ammonia containing products with clorox produces a deadly gas that has killed people in kitchens and baths.

Here's an eHow video, produced by someone with Earth Wind And Solar Energy, that suggests using deionized water (this will prevent hard-water deposits) and liquid detergent. Note that he recommends the use of a squeegee after rinsing to remove any remaining water.

this is for water containers. I have seen the bleach/vinegar recommended on several rv sites, it was also on yahoo and in my local paper. I have used it for years. at first I would do it separate, bleach then rinse then vinegar and rinse again. read that in a backpack magazine in the 70's. although lately I have read to mix together, there is a certain ratio. I have it saved somewhere I will see if I can dig it up. highdesertranger