Cleaning dishes with cider vinager

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraOak

Reaction score
Howdy, all.

I want to travel with no sink, even in two years when I upgrade to a van. I'd really like to see some examples from others without a sink who keep their dishes and counters clean with little to no water and using apple cider vinegar. Lots of recommendations for that method but no visuals.  :(  I realize that for grease I'll need to use a bit of hot soapy water but for the rest of the kitchen mess I'd like to see a video. Also, apple cider vinegar attracts gnats. Does anyone who primarily use this method have gnat or other bug problems? 

Thanks much!

I use paper towels for a preclean (and paper plates/bowls) and 90+% alcohol in a spray bottle to cut grease and sanitize my stuff.  After the preclean is the spray bottle to finish what the preclean doesn't get and sanitizes.

My cookware is either stainless or ceramic.  Easy to keep clean.  Spray counter and wipe with a paper towel.

Curious why you're stuck on apple cider vinegar and not just regular vinegar given the concerns of gnats?  I like the alcohol as it cuts everything and evaporates rapidly as well as sanitizes.  Smell dissipates rapidly.  Others seem to like what I presume is regular vinegar.

If I have let my stainless sit too long before cleaning, I use soap and water to soak and a scrub sponge to scrape anything thick and crusty from the stainless.  The ceramic cleans easily no matter how long I put it off :).  Key is cleanup right after cooking.

I'm curious: why apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar?

First I get the big stuff with paper towels. If greasy I spray vinegar then heat slightly before wiping off. Finish with Alcohol. If not greasy just use alcohol, no heat as is flammable.

I once set a room on fire after cleaning it with 95% alcohol. Didn't wait long enough after cleaning a stainless steel work bench (in a lab), lit a Bunsen burner, the whole place went WHOOSH! Fortunately I didn't catch on fire...but now I'm very careful to air the place out very well before I strike a light....not that **anyone else** would ever do this....just sayin' ;-P

The Dire Wolfess

I use white vinegar for cleaning almost everything. I keep the apple cider vinegar refrigerated for health and healing purposes. Yes, apple cider vinegar attracts gnats... if I have them I mix apple cider vinegar with a little dish soap and a tiny bit of sugar, and set it out in a jar on my countertop.

Yeah, don't get near a heat source with alcohol residue.

I use all methods above, plus the backpacker's LNT method: a bit water in a pot or bowl, then use your spoon to scrap/wash all food bits into the water, then drink the water with food bits.

I finish with a splash of Everclear (190 grain alcohol sold in liquor stores) - it's the ultimate liquid multi-tool and also my dehydrated vodka, alcohol stove fuel, alcohol candle heater, mouthwash/deodorant, hand sanitizer, spot/glue remover, wound prep, etc, etc.

I have a travel trailer that I travel with and I still use a spray bottle with white vinegar/water solution that I use to clean my dishes. Works great.

travelaround said:
I use white vinegar for cleaning almost everything. I keep the apple cider vinegar refrigerated for health and healing purposes. Yes, apple cider vinegar attracts gnats... if I have them I mix apple cider vinegar with a little dish soap and a tiny bit of sugar, and set it out in a jar on my countertop.

This is good to know, thanks.  We often get gnats around here and they're almost impossible to get rid of.  I'll try it!

I too wonder about why bother using cider instead of regular vinegar.

Another thing, re pots/pans: I got a ceramic frying pan a couple months ago and it is the easiest thing to clean imaginable. Very very non-stick even when stuff like onions start to burn or eggs brown, and it's just a wipe clean. If anything, it's almost too non-stick: oil tends to bead up or swirl around rather than evenly distribute. Once cool, wipe with a paper towel.

They work with induction heaters too, if you ever want to use one.

Dingfelder said:
 I got a ceramic frying pan a couple months ago and it is the easiest thing to clean imaginable.  Very very non-stick even when stuff like onions start to burn or eggs brown, and it's just a wipe clean.  If anything, it's almost too non-stick: oil tends to bead up or swirl around rather than evenly distribute.  Once cool, wipe with a paper towel.
Botta bing. I've been doing exactly the same thing. After cooking in the ceramic fry pan, I just boil some water and then wipe it clean. I only cook in olive oil, and the only residue I've ever seen after boiling water is if I used cheese in the meal. Ceramic is cool.

I tend to not like to use soap to wash dishes, as it takes so much water to rinse properly, so my on the road meals are very simple. Only ever boil water in the pans, so there is no cleanup, and use the ceramic fry pan for actual cooking. I had seen earlier about using "white" vinegar for cleaning, so I'll start using that in the fry pan after the boiling water.

BobBski said:
First I get the big stuff with paper towels . . . 

I prefer the beagle prewash.  Keeps the beagle happy, he gets them really clean and he does the disposal discretely in the woods.  Sanitize and wipe with vinegar/water spritz.  Might have to try 180+ proof vodka.

travelaround said:
Good idea, to drink the water before adding the alcohol... :)

Got that backwards: drink the vodka before adding water  :p

Hey spiff, how many toes on the happy Beagle do you need to count up the number of people who have actually ever taken your advice, LOL?

Another fan of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Preckean by my pups.

I see 90 something % alcohol used. Why not the more multi-use 70% rubbing alchy?
Wonder which is cheaper. alcohol or white vinegar.

max+sophia said:
I see 90 something % alcohol used. Why not the more multi-use 70% rubbing alchy?
Wonder which is cheaper. alcohol or white vinegar.
I figure white vinegar is edible, but I don't want isopropyl alcohol on my dishes. Ethyl alcohol, maybe.