Cleaning conversion van floor, dealing with rust

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkltoes

Reaction score
So glad the forums are back  :D I had been following the forums for a few years now and the week I buy a van the forums went down so I've been flying blind for the most part.

I bought a 1995 chevy conversion van and a few days after I bought it found out it had several different water leaks. I gutted the interior, found and fixed the water leaks, now I'm about ready to put the floor in.

First, there is a bunch of spray adhesive and foam stuck to the floor. I assume I need to clean that up before putting a floor down to limit the chances of mold and bacteria growing under the floor. I cleaned a small section but getting the adhesive up is very time consuming. 
Next there appears to be some fairly small rust pockets under the paint, mainly just a few pinhole sized cracks in the paint with some rust underneath. There are those and several large holes from the seat bolts, the holes are fairly rusty. Should I use a wire wheel to grind down any spots with rust, cut out the rusty holes, repair the holes (fiberglass/epoxy?), and then just paint the bare metal with primer and paint? Should I just strip out all of the old paint and apply a new coating of bedliner/some sort of rust inhibitor?

Lastly I assume it is from the water leaks evaporating behind the walls, but on the interior, along  the top of the ceiling walls behind the supports I see some surface rust. Normally I would try to sand it down and paint over it but that isn't really an option due to the location. Should I spray some rust converter on them and be done with it? Really my only other option is to cut out the supports and have someone weld them back in.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Depending on how bad it is I would probably paint it with rust converter.  The expense of removing the supports and welding them back in would not be cost effective.  Rust never sleeps.

closeanuf said:
Depending on how bad it is I would probably paint it with rust converter.  The expense of removing the supports and welding them back in would not be cost effective.  Rust never sleeps.

If only I knew how to weld/had a welder, I have the tools to cut at least portions out. A spray converter is my only option really since I can't sand them or brush on normal rust converters.

If it hasn't perforated the metal then I'd probably just coat it and be done with it.  Rust converter only works when the chemical comes in direct contact with the rust, and only to a few thousandths depth.  You'd still need to paint over it to get a good seal.  So if the rust is just little bubbles under paint, I'd knock down the big stuff with a grinder/flap wheel and spray bomb some undercoat, use Peel-n-Seal or Eternabond over any questionable areas, and just live with it.  If you can treat both sides of the metal and cut off oxygen and moisture you can stop most rust in it's tracks.  Welding is the nuclear option... takes a bunch of work, burns surrounding stuff, and probably way overkill.  Rich obsessive compulsives would strip and dip the entire body in electrolyte to remove the rust, and treat with etching primer... but that's high dollar 100 point concours restoration stuff.  I have walnut blasted and leaded over rusted areas but that's a whole 'nother deal too.  Just don't overthink it, seal it and go have fun.  Rust adds character!

I have a loan 2014 sprinter that just hit the lot a week ago, they gave it to me with 299 km and the while paint is already showing rust all over it (very fine dots, but all over) much like my 2008. I was going to take a close up picture for all those that preach the wax. These vans come with terrible paint from factory or they are shipped with zero care. Maybe tomorrow if i remember.

I grew up in southwestern Michigan so I know about rust.  In 1967 I joined the USAF and got stationed in West Texas and appreciate the relative absence of rust.  I don't know where you plan to spend the majority of your time but you might buy yourself some time with your rust situation if you stay in a dry climate, but if you stay where moisture is high your rust problem ain't gonna improve.  I would suggest saving up to find a van in an area of the country where rust isn't a problem.

Latest posts