Class C upper bunk modifications

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenwrite

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a used Class C for full-timing.  As I browse ads while I save up, I see some possible Cs that have cabinets and entertainment centers up in the over-cab space.  I would want to take all that out and make it my sleeping space.
How complicated would it be to remove a built-in storage unit?
Would it be hard not to screw up the walls and ceiling?
Any warnings?

Usually when they have cabinets over the cab they don't have enough space above the cab for a bed.  The rigs with a bed space above the cab usually require a larger nose on the rig.   I'm not sure I would attempt doing this.  If you don't care for an entertainment center, you could consider removing that and using the space for additional storage.

My concern would be ventilation in that area if converted. I googled and there are many links on how people have accomplished doing that. Knowing RV construction, I would rather find one with the bed rather than mess with and cause damage. RVs are not easy to mend.

also remember that with the overhead bed you must climb up and down. it's a pain when you are feeling under the weather or are older. this is why many people don't care for the overhead bunks. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
with the overhead bed you must climb up and down.  it's a pain when you are... older.  highdesertranger

I turn 65 this month (March '18).  I would look forward to the exercise.  LOL

You should be able to find what you want without having to convert something you don't want.

The upper berth is closer to an actual bed than a fold out couch. I use a regular mattress and sheets in the upper berth.

I also like the separation of the sleeping area from the day use area.

Look for a model you like that has a bed up there. There may be a permanent bed in the back or the kitchen and bathroom are in the back and the middle area is very open. Looking at it logically it is easier to make a sleeping area a storage area over making a storage area a sleeping area.

I’m 54 and have a 1990 class c with a overhead bed . I have a rear bathroom as well . I am going to use the couch bed and use the overhead for storage. After you age and have surgeries you don’t want to climb . If your young and full of xxx then get a overhead . haha