Cigarette lighter in van not working

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGrrl57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. Please let me know.

My cigarette lighter does not work in my van. Therefore, i am wondering how i can fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

VanGrrl57

VanGrrl57 said:
Hi.

I'm not sure if this the right place to post this or not. Please let me know.

My cigarette lighter does not work in my van. Therefore, i am wondering how i can fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

VanGrrl57

Usually it is the fuse.  

In order of probability,

1.  Fuse
2.  Lighter 
3.  socket
4.  Wiring unplugged or burned.

Some vehicles the key needs to be in and On for the receptacle to work.

Accessing the wiring to check it, 'Could' be a lot of effort, possible taking the dashboard apart.

As most ciggy receptacles are not wired from the factory with sufficient thickness wiring for passing much more than 30 watts continuously, So

One could run some dedicated 10AWG wire, to a new higher quality receptacle.

Fuse at battery:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...id=1460436809&sr=1-5&keywords=atc+fuse+holder.

Use 30 amp fuse for 10 awg wire.

This could be useful, but more basic 12v receptacles exist:
http://www.amazon.com/Astra-Depot-F...qid=1460436856&sr=1-6&keywords=12v+receptacle

Do Not try and use one of those plug in inverters into a Ciggy receptacle.  Best case scenario they might pass 120 watts for a few minutes before you start smelling melting plastic.

Ciggy receptacles are pretty poor electrical connections.  Convenient, but not reliable when higher currents need to flow through them.

Ciggy plugs that come on many appliances are truly horrid designs.

I once bought a bunch of inexpensive ATC/ATO fuses. They were absolute junk, not blowing anywhere near their ratings. So I started testing various rating fuses and 1 out of 5 actually was within an amp of where it was supposed to trip.

My final test was one 3 amp fuse which passed 10 amps for 5 minutes before I took it out and smashed it with a hammer, then threw the rest of the fuses away.

Good fuses are not cheap. bad fuses can = electrical fire

http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-NO-8...d=1460437551&sr=1-2&keywords=bussman+atc+fuse

x2 on staying away from the cheap fuses. I blew a tail lite fuse put one of those cheap fuses in, it actually melted my fuse box before blowing. now I need to rewire my whole truck. highdesertranger

Well,

I guess I won't be ordering the fuses, then. SIGH! I guess I will let my mechanic check it out for me, since I know nothing about anything electrical or mechanical. LOL! Maybe I can meet up with people living the lifestyle and can learn from them.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

vanGrrl57

VanGrrl57 said:
Well,

I guess I won't be ordering the fuses, then. SIGH! I guess I will let my mechanic check it out for me, since I know nothing about anything electrical or mechanical. LOL! Maybe I can meet up with people living the lifestyle and can learn from them.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

vanGrrl57

Checking the fuses is easy.  Most vehicles have a list if what fuse controls what circuit. 

Never be scared to try.

I don't think anybody said don't buy fuses. just get good ones. Bussman and Little fuse are good quality fuses. highdesertranger