Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dust-In-the-Wind said:
Here's another approach that might work for you.  REI sells something called:  "EVRGRN CRASH SACK".  Take a look:

[attachment=]

Well, right there you have a solution to not wanting to get out of the warm covers on a cold morning (or in the middle of the night). LOL

I don't know if there are any old backpackers here but in the 60's and 70's the go to backpack guru was a guy named Colin Fletcher. his advice was to pick out the best bag you could afford and buy the next best one above that. that advice has served me well though the years. highdesertranger
btw his books are great reads.

Mont bell makes a stretching bag (the stitching is elastic) so tossers (like me) can move freely and still stay warm. I have hD mine for. About ten years and love it. The model I have is called 'down hugger'. Don't know if they make a synthetic model.

frankly there is nothing like down. I know the OP said no down but I have to say there is nothing like down and it's 100% organic and natural. synthetic is well synthetic, not natural, made of out of oil, what harm does that cause to the environment. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
frankly there is nothing like down.  

HDR, I love down as well and I still utilize wool outer wear for inclement weather, however, I will never buy a down sleeping bag. In the Pacific Northwest, down just don't cut it unless you don't mind a clumpy sodden bag. I have always used synthetic bags. My current bag is made from 100 % recycled material (Re Meow). Synthetic bags are also handy if you make stupid mistakes as I once did. I setup my tent and tossed the bag inside to stake my claim on a camp site. There was no wind at that time so I only used one tent stake. I returned from a walk to not find my tent??? It had blown into the nearby lake with my bag. After an early evening swim to retrieve the tent and contents, I was able to wring the heck out of the bag and sleep in it fairly comfortably. Can't do that with a down bag.
kelly

Down sleeping bags are only for very cold conditions, Poly fill is much better when moisture is expected. Save $$ and try the Wall Mart brand first. They are very good.

oh I know all about synthetics being superior in wet conditions but most people here are inside a vehicle. highdesertranger

Sleeping bags are great when you need them and I couldn't count how many nights I've slept in one.
Although I find them somewhat claustrophobic, if your feet get hot you can't just poke a foot out.

If you're sleeping in a van wouldn't blankets and such be more comfortable ?

Those microfibre/microfleece blankets are cozy as hell and very affordable these days.
Each to their own.

I use a three tier system. I have a fleece liner that is good by itself in temps around 50. I put it inside of a sleeping bag rated for 30 when it gets colder. if it gets real cold I put both of them into a still larger sleeping bag. Any of the three can be used solo depending on the temps.

I have a 25 year old synthetic bag, mid range, easy to wash, It is rated differently on both sides, I think a great idea, one side is for 15 c the other for 5 c ,I am not sure anymore but I think those are the numbers, I bought it at MEC and it has been washed in a machine many times, used a lot, and still going strong, I sometimes get cold in it and need an extra blanket, my wife has a quality, high end mac pac down sleeping bag that she has had for 30 years still in excellent shape, been washed many times, used a lot, she never gets cold, neither are mummy bags, both can be unzipped completely on warm nights.

ccbreder said:
Down sleeping bags are only for very cold conditions, Poly fill is much better when moisture is expected. 

Disagree with your first statement.  I have two down mummy bags: a 2 lb, 30° bag comfortable to ~ 70° and a -40° that is comfortable up to ~ 40°.  Down has a very wide comfort zone.  None of my synthetic bags have nearly that much range.

I agree synthetic fill is much better in wet environments.  First time I went to Mt. McKinnley, my -40 down bag was 20 oz heavier at the end of three weeks and barely able to keep me warm at +10°.  It had absorbed over a pint of water.

Any of you old backpackers tried an elephant foot bag (full or half bag)?

-- Spiff

This is great info, but I'm assuming he would rather be a little colder rather than use down. It's kinda Like the "i'd rather go naked than wear fur" campaign. Collecting down from abandoned nest is very cool though. Oneawesomeinch here's a link I found super helpful, I'm personally a bit fan of marmot and they have a wide range of sizes and temps. I know they cater really well to petite women's sizes, I was able to get a bag made for women 5'6" and under, that wasn't a kids bag, so I'd assume they have a lot of options for larger sizes also. Also mine is a mummy bag and there's plenty of wiggle room, I can curl my legs up laying on my side and everything. but I know they make other kinds too if you don't like mummy bags. And I would get the lowest temperature rating you can.

http://www.veganoutdooradventures.com/vegan-sleeping-bags/

Latest posts