Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I want to buy a good quality sleeping bag that will be a great fit for vandwelling.

I have three criteria:

I don't want a down filled sleeping bag as what happens to those animals to get those feathers is absolutely horrifying. Thus, it has to be filled with some sort of alternative. I know down performs very well, but its just not an option for me.

The most difficult question for me it what temperature rating should I get? If its rated 0C to 21C that may not be warm enough for sub zero temps. However, if the sleeping bag is too warm it may make me uncomfortably hot. I suppose I could get one rated from 0C to 21C and then just add another blanket if it gets super cold, but as we know space in a van is precious and storing it when not in use is not ideal.

The third consideration is that I want a large bag. "Big and tall" would work better for me as I am not small and don't like to be confined as I sleep. Mummy bags are not something I care for.

So with those considerations in mind, can anyone one make recommendations?

One Awesome Inch said:
I want to buy a good quality sleeping bag that will be a great fit for vandwelling.

I have three criteria:

I don't want a down filled sleeping bag as what happens to those animals to get those feathers is absolutely horrifying. Thus, it has to be filled with some sort of alternative. I know down performs very well, but its just not an option for me.

The most difficult question for me it what temperature rating should I get? If its rated 0C to 21C that may not be warm enough for sub zero temps. However, if the sleeping bag is too warm it may make me uncomfortably hot. I suppose I could get one rated from 0C to 21C and then just add another blanket if it gets super cold, but as we know space in a van is precious and storing it when not in use is not ideal.

The third consideration is that I want a large bag. "Big and tall" would work better for me as I am not small and don't like to be confined as I sleep. Mummy bags are not something I care for.

So with those considerations in mind, can anyone one make recommendations?

The only advantage down has over modern synthetics is that it's lighter, so I suppose it will continue to the choice of mountain climbers and go-light backpackers.  The disadvantages are that down is useless if it gets wet, while synthetic will still keep you warm, and it's Much easier to wash and dry a synthetic bag than a down one. 

I don't see any reason why extra blankets or even a quilt couldn't be folded and placed under the sleeping bag when not needed, so they wouldn't have to take up any real space for storage.  They would actually be more padding used that way.

I like the Slumberjack bags, but they are pricey:  http://www.slumberjack.com/c-sleeping-bags.aspx?gclid=CJW5qLHxv8cCFdcXHwod3LIMhg

You can find some less expensive, but still good quality bags at Cabelas: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp.../Ne-4294733647?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Regards
John

I can't recommend a specific sleeping bag because I don't use one.  I use climashield quilts for backpacking and canoeing.

BTW, not all down is plucked, it is available humanely harvested. You'll have to hunt the internet to find it but it is available. Also available now is water repellant down.

Most outdoor enthusiasts employ multiple sleeping bags with different temp ratings for comfort but since you want to have only one sleeping bag it's more practical to think in terms of layering. A sleeping bag that's comfortable at 32F is definitely not going to be one that's comfortable at 60F. It's not going to happen. If you pick one that's half way in between it is likely to mean that you're uncomfortably warm or darn near freezing in all weather that's not at the half way point, which means most of the year... :rolleyes:

For summer use I just use a fleece liner that is designed to go inside my quilt for cold weather camping.

A sleeping bag can have it's useful temp ratings lowered by about 10 degrees F by utilizing a silk liner - these are available at MEC and other outdoor sporting goods stores. The next defense against cold is thermal underclothes that are available in different weights. The nice thing about both of these is that they are easy to launder unlike the sleeping bag.

Most of us who spend a lot of time in the backcountry always wear clothing to sleep not only for midnight trips to the closest tree but also for cleanliness of the sleeping gear. The clothing varies by the season from a t-shirt and light shorts to microfleece thermals and a hoodie when it's snowing out.

Also, keep in mind that the temp ratings supplied with sleeping bags are SURVIVAL temps only, not comfort ratings and that North America does not have mandated rating qualifications - what the sleeping bag is rated for is the manufacturers best estimate for survival - as in you might be cold at that temp but you won't die!

Despite making an effort to research and shop quality bags, last fall I picked up a wally world ozark trail 40f bag, about 2.5lbs and the size of the big coffee tins when in it's bag. I read some reviews that called it a 60f bag, I don't know about that as I had no problems staying warm in the bag down to 32f in a tee shirt and pants before I felt the need to start layering. everybody is different with what they consider cold and also how much heat their body puts out.

If you are looking to use one bag in all seasons an extra blanket or two works great in winter, even with no heat or insulation I slept warm in Colorado at 6000ft last winter(only dropped below 0f once) combined with a queen size comforter. A couple nights the comforter slipped up and I woke up with cold toes but other than that I was warm enough in the bag under the comforter that I didn't want to get out of it in the morning.

Yup, layering is what it's all about. I have a cheap big and tall bag but only use it when it's below 40°. Most of the time a light blanket and/or comforter is all I want. Also have wool socks, sweats, and hoodies for cold nights. A warm blooded girlfriend helps too. :) Though a good one can be hard to find.

Personally, I hate sleeping bags. I just spent the night in one on a backpacking trip.

The most comfortable ones are the coleman flannel ones, but how do you clean them? They are also too heavy to backpack with. Not an issue in a van.
The down ones usually are nylon or some other petroleum based fabric that makes you sweat. Again. how do you clean them?

Better off with sheets and a thin comforter covered in a duvet. You wash the duvet and sheets. Need more warmth? Add a blanket or comforter. Thin comforter too hot for summer? Use only a sheet or light cotton washable blanket. You can get humanely sourced down. Down is the most comfortable.

Sleeping bags for full time living is not a good idea.

Dirty sleeping bags make for stinky vans.

my 2 cents.

Some of the young backpackers i know have switched to 'quilts' (or rectangular sleeping bags without the zippers, if you prefer).  More versatile and lighter: roomy when wanted and you can wrap up tight if cold.  I use a quilt in my camper even though I have a number of good sleeping bags.

As to temperature ranges: No synthetic is going to have a very large temperature range (that is one advantage of down).  You can add blankets to supplement, wear more clothing at colder temps, add heat (e.g. a hot waterbottle), add a liner (light fleece liners can add 10° C to a bag).   I find that a stocking cap, fleece shirt and pants, wool socks, and a light fleece throw over the top makes a 0° C bag comfortable to ~ -15° C (and I sleep cold).

Most hunters don't like mummy bags either, so any hunting supplier (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Gander, ...) will have a selection of rectangular bags (and bags for big guys).

-- Spiff

There are sleeping bag liners and outer sacks to add warmth. I use a silk liner to keep my bag clean and so I can use just it when I get too hot and have to unzip the bag. I bought an LL Bean Switch 35/50. One side is thicker than the other. With hot flashes, my need for temperature control can change several times a night! I can throw a blanket or two over it if I get cold.

For temperatures close to or below freezing, I'd want a mummy bag. The less space your body has to heat, the easier it is to stay warm.

Note: whatever bag(s) you buy, don't store them stuffed in the sacks. They will last longer and stay warmer if you leave them spread out or loosely packed in a bin.

Reading all this about cold weather sleeping is giving me a chill.

Tho the nights can dip down at times, I'll hang in the Southern desert where the weather is mellow.
I know not everyone can do that but I hate cold and have no use for snow.

where to start. 1st off like others have said you can get down that they don't pluck off of geese. they collect it from there nest after the geese leave. the geese pluck their own down to line their nest.
2nd full mummy bags are kinda rare, most mummy bags are what are called a modified mummy. they are a little roomier, not as tight fitting. mummy bags keep you warmer because your body heat has less bulk to warm up.
3 it's your body heat that keeps you warm not the sleeping bag, the sleeping bag retains your body heat. the better the insulation the better it retains your body heat.
4 just like layering with clothing works. layering works with your sleeping bag/blankets.
5 for vehicle camping synthetic works fine.
what ever you decide remember to be prepared for the coldest temp you will be in. I have 2 sleeping bags a winter and a summer, I also use a fleece blanket. my summer bag fits inside my winter bag for extreme cold. I seldom zip my bags up, I use them like a blanket. o yeah both of my bags are modified mummies. highdesertranger

second on not liking sleeping bags,have you investigated 12v electric blankets? not sure if its feasible on solar/batteries but i'm sure someone here would know

I haven't used mummy bags since I was a backpacker.
Not just confining but a pain to wash without destroying the loft of the down.

I just get fairly cheap (Coleman) rectangular bags at Wally's. Cheap to replace too.
Just go to a laundrymat and use the big washers and dryers when you need to clean 'em.
Like HDR I use an extra large and a reg size that I can put inside the extra large.
Unlike HDR my warm one is the inside one so I can use the extra large most of the time.

I'll just sleep on top if I'm too warm adding layers as it cools off.  Zipping one or both if needed.
I wear whatever else I need to supplement as it gets really cold , compression undies in summer all the way to fully dressed with a fleece hat  and fleece jacket (s) and even a down jacket could be added in winter .
This system will keep me comfortable down to way below freezing if needed or just sleep on top at 80-90*+
Oh yeah , My mattress is 9" of memory foam so I'm pretty well insulated from underneath..........

I used this system in Maine last winter with temps 20 below zero and this summer in 90* nighttime temps.

YMMV

REI has a yard sale periodically. I went to the store tried different bags. Then at the yard sale went through and purchased one from my list about half price. Not sure if you are near a store. I actually tried a number of bags out in the store with mats.

I have a 10F Coleman from WallyWorld. I use it opened up like a big comforter. I do not buy those pouffy comforter stores sell. They are not worth it. I have found that a "full/double/queen/" sized duvet cover will fit a sleeping bag like mine in width (cover might be a little long). Nice thing about the duvet cover it that I can just wash the muddy dog paw prints off the duvet cover (takes up the space of two sheets) instead of washing the sleeping bag in the triple load washers. It also helps the sleep bag interior side last longer.

I have a wall mart brand bag. I zip two of them together. Way much room. the zippers are trouble sometimes. But it is like sleeping in silk comforters. You definite want one lower than 20 C. that is almost 70 F.

im not a full time van dweller but when I'm out in my van or out on the trail hiking i use a 20 degree down quilt from enlightened equipment now i know you said no down but they also have some options with synthetic insulation.  i have been very pleased with mine i like the fact it has a sewn footbox but it can be opened up at the top like a blanket. they also make one that opens completely and closes around the foot box with a drawstring. i have used mummy bags before and had no problems with them but the quilt is so much more versatile and actually makes sleeping a lot more comfortable for me.
ymmv but i would at least give them a look.

Attachments

• EnigmaElite_Main__27591.1409168401.90.90.jpg
    EnigmaElite_Main__27591.1409168401.90.90.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 86
  • EnigmaElite_Back_Open__18362.1409168401.90.90.jpg
    EnigmaElite_Back_Open__18362.1409168401.90.90.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 85
A tip I read from a Class C inhabitant, where using the cab-over bed can make sheets a tangled PITA, is to buy a Queen or King sheet, double it over, sew it together at the bottom and a couple of feet up the open side. This makes a "pocket" to sleep in with the sewn-together bottom and partial side keeping your feet covered and the sheet more "in place" without having to stuff the edges under a mattress. It mimics a SleepSack that another poster mentioned, but is much cheaper.

Make the doubled over sheet a roomy size, remembering that your body is going to need some wiggle room inside. As others mentioned with duvet covers and such, the sheet sack is easily washable.

With no access to a sewing machine, I have not tried this but know it would keep my platform bed less messy when I can arrange to get one sewn.

I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag. I got one of the wide ones because my dog likes to sleep with me when it is cold. They have the unique (I think) feature of not having insulation on the bottom. You slide in a pad of your choosing in a sleeve on the bottom. The idea is that insulation in the sleeping bag needs to be fluffed up to work. If it compresses when you lie on it, the insulating ability is far less effective. The pad provides the insulation. Since many of us use a pad anyway, they incorporate it into the sleeping bag. This also keeps one from sliding off of the pad during the night. I find the brand to be of good quality as well.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag/filters/6