Choosing A Dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are too many horror stories about pits and mastiffs being brought home from shelters and then killing their new owners. The vast majority of dog attacks are just 2 breeds of dogs, pits being one, and there's a reason for that.

That's not true and not my experience. I have a few hundred hours in volunteering with dogs with rescues, the Humane Society, and fostering. I don't know of any rescues that don't screen a for aggressiveness because a dog like that would cause a lawsuit that could destroy a rescue. Most rescues are well aware that they can't help every dog. The one dog I've seen brought in for attacking and hospitalizing its owner (in the few hundred dogs I've experienced) was a golden retriever. Pits are some of the best dogs I've experienced. That said, know your rescue and make sure they're reputable. The local Humane Society does a thorough job of checking for aggression, they have to to stay in business.

That's not true and not my experience. I have a few hundred hours in volunteering with dogs with rescues, the Humane Society, and fostering. I don't know of any rescues that don't screen a for aggressiveness because a dog like that would cause a lawsuit that could destroy a rescue. Most rescues are well aware that they can't help every dog. The one dog I've seen brought in for attacking and hospitalizing its owner (in the few hundred dogs I've experienced) was a golden retriever. Pits are some of the best dogs I've experienced. That said, know your rescue and make sure they're reputable. The local Humane Society does a thorough job of checking for aggression, they have to to stay in business.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.su...fffgxvcbv7b5qybecj4-story.html?outputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/75910376

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...th-attacked-rescue-dog-oklahoma-1642669?amp=1

I can post stories of newly adopted dogs that killed somebody all night. I don't just make stuff up because I have nothing else to do. People need to be cautious about what dog they bring into their home, especially larger, more assertive breeds that can easily kill them or their child.

Depends on what we mean by "attacks".

The vast majority of attacks (bites) are by small breeds. Powerful breeds bite far less often but are responsible for most of the damaging/fatal incidents. There are something like 4.5 million dog bites a year, 750,000 treated medically, and ~40 fatalities.

Anecdotally, I worked with hundreds of dogs at shelters and was only bitten/injured by small breeds (chihuahuas, shih tzu, and lhaso apsos overrepresented). A Dane did stomp on my toe once but did not break the skin. :) My leashed ScaryBreedDog has aggressed zero dogs in the years I've had her, and on average is aggressed 2x/day by unleashed small dogs during our walks. So far she has exhibited remarkable patience and has not eaten any of them (to my knowledge).
Understood but I've never heard of anyone running for their lives from a Chihuahua, mailed to death by a Chihuahua, or who needed to undergo plastic surgery to recreate their face because of a Chihuahua. Small dogs are aggravating, not life threatening. And I'm not against any dog, especially not Pits. I've seen some of the sweetest Pits anyone would ever want around any member of their family. I'm just not doing the head in the sand thing either. Pitts were breed to fight, just like hunting dogs were breed to hunt, and they were excellent at their job. Does that mean every pit is going in the attack? No, but it's something to consider when looking at a dog with an unknown upbringing and known history of only a few weeks or even months. I wouldn't marry someone I only knew a month but they determine dogs are fine in a few weeks and expect you to keep them forever. I'm just telling people to be cautious.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211228-183551_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211228-183551_Chrome.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 1
  • SmartSelect_20211228-183750_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211228-183750_Chrome.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1
Dogs can share your thoughts with you!

I took a class that taught about mentally sharing thoughts with dogs. The teacher said that dogs see images of the thoughts we hold behind our words, and they respond to what they see and feel far more than the actual sounds of our words. He then gave the example of how one might say, “Don't jump up on me!” to a dog who has muddy paws and then the dog immediately jumps up on that person. This happens because the person speaking to the dog is visualizing those mud-covered paws smearing mud all over their lovely white dress. The dog sees the image and thinks that's what it's supposed to do! Similarly, words like “don’t” are meaningless to dogs because dogs can't mentally picture the opposite of what they see in your mind. Even humans would have a hard time doing that. How do you picture the opposite of what you're already picturing? The point being relayed to us was to say exactly what we do mean―not what we don't―while mentally picturing the true intent of our words.

I soon got a chance to test this teaching on my neighbor's dog as the dog and I went for a walk. Three times she pranced out into the street, oblivious to oncoming traffic. Each time I screamed and chased her back to safety as quickly as I could. Then I remembered what we had discussed in that class.

I got down on my knees so we would be face-to-face, looked into her eyes, and explained slowly and carefully―in full graphic detail―what it would be like if a tire ran over her body, mentally picturing in bright colors how her bones and blood would respond as I spoke those matching words. That one little talk worked amazingly well. Starting with the next car that approached, she would then stop, lay her head on my shoes, and keep her eyes pinched so tightly shut they quivered. She wouldn't move again until the car had passed. And after that, I never again saw her step out into the street―ever!

That dog was found as a stray, not vetted through a rescue org. Did you read the whole article?

"The family told the news outlet that the rescue dog hadn't shown any signs of aggression since they brought it home as a stray three weeks earlier."
No, but I read the other 2 and got disgusted with dog attacks. I've also read several other ones where adopted dogs, from shelters, killed their owners so at this point, I'm over it. Someone said it doesn't happen. It 100% does happen and any Google search will pull up plenty of stories where it did happen.

But since I didn't read that one, here's a link to one I have read to replace it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...egas-woman-mauled-to-death-by-family-dog/amp/

No, but I read the other 2 and got disgusted with dog attacks. I've also read several other ones where adopted dogs, from shelters, killed their owners so at this point, I'm over it. Someone said it doesn't happen. It 100% does happen and any Google search will pull up plenty of stories where it did happen.

But since I didn't read that one, here's a link to one I have read to replace it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...egas-woman-mauled-to-death-by-family-dog/amp/

Nobody said it doesn't happen. There are probably as many deaths by non-pitties and non-rotties and also many stories of rescue dogs saving their owners/families. There was a dog brought into the local Humane Society by the police for attacking and hospitalizing the owner - it was a golden retriever purchased from a breeder as a puppy. Like everything in life there are risks - you can get killed crossing the street, driving a car... probably even brushing your teeth. Exercise common sense, mitigate risks, adopt from a proven rescue. To suggest an adopted pit bull/rottweiler will kill you is fear mongering.

I think the discussion on adopting pit bulls has played out. Please post continue the discussion about other breeds that may be good traveling companions.

A great question and I am seeing a lot of good feedback.

In 3 weeks I will on the road. I have been planning for a while. My dog Daisy is 11.5 and I have had her since adoption when she was 5. She is a big dog... 85#'s... and I lover her... but, I will likely not get another dog when she passes. Living in a house a dog is a fine thing, but in an RV it will be a challenge. Nothing happens without considering how it affects the dog, staying in or going out they will have needs that will have to be met, especially pee and poop breaks, which you will have to clean up and manage. If it is a puppy, it ups the demand and requires a lot of your attention,

So now that I and others have tried to talk you out of it, when you go ahead and do it anyway, visit a local shelter. Visit with the staff for a bit. Ask to tour the dogs up for adoption. Do not make this visit with the idea that you are adopting a dog. You are just visiting. If one this visit there is one that you are attracted to, go back to visit in a day or two, and ask to walk the dog. It is important to choose a dog that is capable of bonding with you, and you need to be a person that can take control of the relationship. A dog that is in a shelter will likely have trust issues, and you need your dog to trust you. Take your time choosing. Go binge watch the Dog Whisperer... you must be the pack leader. If you do not take the position, the dog will.

Good Luck.

I think the discussion on adopting {banned breed} has played out. Please post continue the discussion about other breeds that may be good traveling companions.

It's the forum equivalent of a municipal breed ban. I will comply by unwatching the thread and placing the most agitated voices on the forum's ignore list.

I am seriously thinking of getting a doggy to keep me company. The problem is that I know very little about dogs.
Any tips would be welcome.
Living in a van or RV is not much of a good place to raise a dog without experience. If you do want one any shelter will probably have a senior dog that will need a home. Their behavior is already known and you don't have to worry about a puppy phase with them chewing up everything or the young adult phase where they begin to challenge your authority like a teenager. There are so many older dogs that need a home since most people want a young dog.

I have a schnauzer poodle mix (schnoodle) who has been with me in the van any time I go anywhere. He’s very smart and is still very active (at 15). I’ve taken him up to Alaska 3 times so he does fairly well in a limited space area.

They are highly socialized to their owner and will do anything they can to be close to you. As Jim mentioned, they don’t shed or cause an allergic reaction, but do require periodic grooming because their hair keeps on growing.

90F79D3A-92BD-40C8-83E8-C34B8A8C4794.jpeg

This is Sam, I didn't so much choose him but the other way around. Some friends of mine found him dragging a huge choker chain and limping down Main Street (in my town that's the old Victorian house district). He had badly healed wounds all over him and was very skinny. He looked to be half Pit and half Lab but he has the Lab's goofy personality. He may have been used as a bait dog for training fighting dogs (a hideous thing which very unfortunately seems to be popular among a segment of our population). He badly needed a home and my wife had just died so they decided (unknown to me) to "hook me up" w Sam. I came over for a couple of drinks on their porch and they introduced us. He came up, gave me a couple of sniffs, a couple of licks, turned around a few times and then laid down on my feet and went to sleep. I had been officially adopted. :D It was fate I suppose. You couldn't ask for a better dog. Quiet, well behaved, great on the road, friendly but NOTHING gets by his attention. Quite protective too. Must have been fate...KIMG0660.JPGKIMG0592.JPG

Cheers!