Choosing A Dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
choose dog.

are you active and wanting to hike, move, DO for a high energy type dog and this IS YOU then get that dog that suits your life....mirrors you.

not wanting to move much, hike, take the dog biking with you and you are 'a loner' who wants no intrusions and 'keep simple life' then get that smaller dog you can wipe out on a shorter walk to suit the dog and you.

Make the dog match you and how you live, simple as that.

Pain in the azz issues hit when mismatched about you....breeds require energy and movement, smaller easy dogs can be wiped out of energy and more pocket sized are more apt to be cuddly and will never require what the energized breeds need..............SO WHO ARE YOU and match just that :) you can never go wrong doing 'you' in all this and match what is 'you' to suit your life and their life as being great vs. being annoying as heck :)

I've owned about 10 dogs over the last 50 years or so.
From my personal experience I'd say avoid shepherd and cattle dog breeds like Australian shepherd, border collie, blue healer etc.
They are very smart, very loyal dogs. However they are bred to have an enormous amount of energy and motivation.
If these breeds are not exercised constantly they tend to get mischievous and chew things up.
With my last two border collies I would walk them 3 times a day. Then once a week do a 'adventure' where I just walked, ran and played with them until they were pretty much worked out. (and my throwing shoulder was burning).
Labs, Spaniels and such are good. American Staffordshires and similar can be good, so long as they aren't from a breeder that is trying to breed dogs for a mean temperament.

Personally I think for some people a dog is a good idea for safety reasons, and companionship.
That all said, please look in to adopting from a shelter. There are thousands of great dogs in shelters that would love a home.
Though many shelters these days are very scrupulous about who they give a dog to.
You may have to fake it with a street address of a friend if you are already living in a vehicle.

jimindenver said:
Small dog has no energy?

This is a person that has never met Max.
LOL, no I didn't mean it like that.....they can be wiped out easier and faster and could suit a person who doesn't want to take longer time to exercise a big, high energy breed dog :)

My Papillion dog is full of energy but I can 'hike him' and in no time he 'has his fill' cause being shorter and little doggie steps etc. he won't ever require what a full size dog can handle.....but I have to say I do hike him up mountains but I keep it around 3 miles tops on the length cause at some point I don't want to carry his overworked azz back down a mountain trail :)    I hit 4-6 mile trails in mountains I don't bring my little dog, he can't handle it, plus he is older now  tho.

Hmm, I’m on my 3 rd Pit or Staffie (sounds less dangerous and vicious LOL) and they are high energy because they were bred from several working dogs. They are exceptionally strong and either you must be physically fit or the dog well trained (we are neither) They need lots of energy and mental stimulation. All three of mine had insane prey drives but that’s not necessarily true of the breed.
I suggested a small breed because I’ve had several 25 lbers who I could pick up and move. My Pits ranged from 80 to the current 71 (and she’s a mini) and since they all failed training and my first trainer who trained guide dogs for the blind for a living said it was almost impossible to get rid of prey drive. It’s not easy but I get shelter dogs and they tend to be euthanized so I take them.
Each dog has a different personality.

RoamerRV428 said:
LOL, no I didn't mean it like that.....they can be wiped out easier and faster and could suit a person who doesn't want to take longer time to exercise a big, high energy breed dog :)

My Papillion dog is full of energy but I can 'hike him' and in no time he 'has his fill' cause being shorter and little doggie steps etc. he won't ever require what a full size dog can handle.....but I have to say I do hike him up mountains but I keep it around 3 miles tops on the length cause at some point I don't want to carry his overworked azz back down a mountain trail :)    I hit 4-6 mile trails in mountains I don't bring my little dog, he can't handle it, plus he is older now  tho.
If the papillion is toy size, what about converting a backpack so he could ride along?

@LERCA kudos to you for your work with pits.
-crofter

jimindenver said:
.....Schnauzers of all sizes are hypoallergenic and do not shed. They do have to be groomed.....
Such cute pups. Do you groom them yourself or able to find groomers on the road? If you DIY, what's in your grooming kit?

My German Shepherd put up with everything, but hated having his toenails trimmed. That thing where they stand there and offer a paw for trimming? Not happening. I did try to work him on surfaces that would naturally wear down his claws.
-crofter

I have groomed my schnauzers for 30 years but am not above having Max done if I can get it for a decent price. The groomers in Quartzsite charge $35 to $40 and do a decent job. Certainly worth it considering the time and effort I put into grooming Max.

My kit is a basic Wahl grooming kit from Walmart. Around $40 I believe. I have several sets of nail clippers with guards to keep me from taking too much off at once. (clip only until you see the dot starting in the middle of the nail. That is the beginning of the cuticle) I also have a pedi paws grinder and another that I do not know its brand off hand.

Max takes care of his own teeth chewing on sticks and bones. The vets always comment on how nice and white they are.

Crofter it is a good idea but I don't bother if I am doing long hard mountain hikes....I just wouldn't wanna backpack him, ain't worth it LOL

He gets moved alot so I am never worried to leave him sometimes and he doesn't get to do all the hikes but that is the beauty of small dogs, I can walk him a few miles....come home, he sleeps in the comfy rv and I go off finishing a mt or tougher trail hike without him. As much as we take him everywhere, there are times honestly I am thrilled he isn't with us LOL He is work ya know.....some days I need dog free :)

Jimindenver
very good price still on that groom

my little dog was $45 and then the groomer called and said across the board general groom, bath, nails is going up to $85 and other groomers I called in my area are slam booked and ya can't get in and they are in that $80 range for small dogs now.....omg I said nope.....I hit petsmart and got hair trimmer for the 'tiny bit I have trimmed on my papillion cause they really don't get trimmed' and I bought good dog shampoo and conditioner and a nail clipper. $35 and out the door and I have him looking so darn good now at such a cheaper price.....$85 to groom a little dog, yikes, too rich for my wallet truly

I'm a big dog lover and have had several different 'breeds' and mixes. The best dog for running with me as we biked was a little kerilin Bear dog she could go out and then back up to about 6 miles and she would be quietly 'on duty' any time she felt the need and she meant it too. Then the 120 lb mutt that shed like crazy, killed 2 vacuums. He was a very sensitive dog and always guarded anything he found to be fragile, sometimes whether they wanted it or not. The new born baby in the carrier when Daddy came to get him, the dog had to be told to move and Daddy was told to be nice as he was grumbling about something (not the baby, but something) Had one mutt that was so happy all the time he wiggled from tip to toe any time someone looked at him. But hated the school bus that came and stole his kids every dang day! Had one tiny sweet little dog for a few weeks (she was dumped on me) but she didn't like all the rowdy kidos in my care every day so found her a quieter home. This latest dog loves kids and the daycare kids could maul him to death and he loved it. But hated the parents who came and again stole his kids everyday. Never did anything but bark at them, but still you could see he just did not like them taking his kids. One of the parents was a cop and understood dogs enough to be happy the 120 lbs of dog was also protecting his child. I had no doubt what he would do if ever the need came. That short fence would not have contained him.

As for needing to leave a dog for awhile there are some great kennels out there that can take care of doggos while you need to do something. There are some not so good ones too. Do your research.

If you have never had a dog before you are going to be amazed at how fast they wiggle into your heart and how much they give back. Just be aware they do require daily care and expenses' whether you 'want' to or not if you don't think you can do that do not get a dog.

I have never had a dog that needs to be groomed, that sounds expensive! I have never paid that much for my own hair cut! But if you want a dog that does not leave their dog hair all over the place that is what you want. I'm not sure what food would taste like with out the special seasoning of dog hair.

It is good you are thinking about this stuff before you get a dog and I hope you do get a dog. They are love, bundled in fur and dirt

Thanks Crofter. I know I keep saying this but shelters do temperament tests and Pits/Staffies more stringent than others. My current nugget got two 45 minute tests with 13 giant (but sweet goofy) Pits. She was trembling but stood her ground. They pulled her ears and tail, lifted her legs and lips, touched every part of her body then cut her loose with these goofballs. The volunteers and shelter workers will privately tell you which dogs have the most gentle or sweet (or anything) temperaments.
Every single guy who did any work on my house had a Pit. But many people are afraid of them. So many times people who wouldn’t go near my dogs ended up in love with the breed. You can get micros, minis and regular size and yes traveling with an 80 lber requires room.

My last dog was a Bluetick Coonhound. A 90lb dog. When I got divorced the dog parked itself in the bed of my truck under a camper shell that was insulated with a couple of windows. She knew I would always return there when other things became less certain or routine. Although a large dog that could run for days when on the scent of an animal, she was very chill as long as she got a couple of walks every day. As far as hiking, which I like to do, it was a bit annoying. She had such a strong drive to track and tree varmints that I always felt like a prison guard tracking convicts with a hound baying and pulling on the leash. Very stubborn but very sweet dog. A lot of comic moments. I think most pure breeds do what it is they are bred to do. So you have to be prepared to provide an outlet for that. The Border Collies, Cattle Dogs, etc. will rewire your van or remodel your upholstery if not provided with a more appropriate job. Mixed breeds tend to mellow out some of the extremes. I really like Pit mixes, very sweet and loving, enthusiastic and playful. However I've seen the other side having the hound mauled by an out of control pitbull. The bond you get raising a dog from a puppy can't be beat, but its a tremendous amount of work. But I've had good luck adopting from shelters. But spend some time observing behavior, particularly around other dogs, before adopting. Dogs are wonderful companions, force you to get more exercise, are good for your outlook and health. But you need to be able to make the commitment of time for training, spending time working with them, keeping them engaged, meeting their needs, and being prepared for occasional expensive vet bills and other maintenance.

I just had to put down my best friend for the last 15 years and feel the emptiness even more keenly now that the grief has subsided. Like all of the best dogs that have come into my life, it was unexpected, and rather than going out and looking for a dog he became a part of my life when a pet was the last thing on my mind.

I am seriously thinking of getting a doggy to keep me company. The problem is that I know very little about dogs.
Any tips would be welcome.

Late to the party, but: folks near near a shelter could volunteer there and get a lot of quality time with all different sizes and breeds. The dogs need socializing (people sitting with them and interacting), outdoor potty walks, etc.

I volunteered at a shelter about a year before i started snowbirding. Learned a lot about myself and about dogs. I was a little surprised to find the calmest dogs, and the ones that craved human touch most, were the pits and pit-mixes. Once you got past the fierce appearance they were lickmonsters and lapsitters. Even {trigger warning} abused pibbles wanted to be touched and would press into your hand.

I took a pit/boxer mix with me when I hit the road. She is gentle with other animals and has helped many shy dogs come out of their shell. Strangers do avoid her because sometimes she looks like a hyena.

Adopted this little guy almost a month ago he is the sweetest little guy and most loving dog I've ever seen. He was a stray on the streets of Tampa bay. I got him from the Tampa Bay humane society. They aged him at 12 years old he's mostly blind. He's the best companion I could ask for. Meet Barney he has been groomed since this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_185729.jpg
    IMG_20211205_185729.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 2
In my experience, a dog gives a lot of love and comfort, and gives you something to do and talk to, but it's also constant work, messy, and a loss of freedom. It's like having a 2 year old who never grows up but it's worse because some places don't allow them. I would think carefully about what kind of traveling I did, my level of cleanliness in both how much I did it and how much I needed to be comfortable, how much money I had, how much room I had inside my vehicle, and my activity level.

I love doing everything and going everywhere whenever I feel like it, in the city and in the boonies. That's why I'm heading out in my SUV. My dog restricted how long I was away from my car, where I could go, and when I could go there. Think about all the people who have to rush home to let the dog out or plan trips around the dog or have to find someone to keep the dog. Having a dog in the car is like that times 100.

I hate cleaning and I couldn't deal with all the dog hair over everything, including me, my clothes, my food, and my drinks. A lot of dander and hair in a small space can also cause lung problems. In a house it's usually no biggie but in my little car, it was a concern. That stuff floats in the air if you're not constantly using a lint brush. Plus I really resented going out in the cold or rain to walk it or let it use the bathroom and I definitely wasn't leaving my vehicle after dark to let it out because it wasn't safe (my ex did that). And a wet, muddy, or just stinky dog in a small space is beyond awful to me. There's limited space in a car to wash a dog, even just it's feet.

Dogs require food, medical care, and dental care and there's a lot of ways they can get into trouble running free in nature or even in dog parks. One girl took her dog to the vet 3 times because it kept eating crap outside and she kept letting it run around. Even without them getting poisoned, they need shots, checkups, and toys, they get diseases, and I bought mine the best food available to hopefully delay health problems down the road.

Dogs need to be able to walk around. It's not fair to have them couped up in a little vehicle 8 hours while they're sleeping and then numerous hours while they're awake. A car is just a big cage when you can't get out of it. People do it and they justify it in their minds because the dog can't complain and they feel fine, but it's still not right. There are days when I didn't want to be bothered or rainy days when I just wanted to do nothing. Having a dog meant I always had to do something.

Dogs attract a lot of attention. The cuter or bigger the dog, the more attention they attract. Plus my dog barked at sounds outside the car at night. If I was in the boonies, that may have been great. In the city, it was an annoyance and eliminated any chance of being stealth.

Plus there's extra moisture at night inside the car which means extra condensation to deal with.

Thankfully the ex took the dog when we broke up. For the reasons I mentioned, having a dog right now is not for me. I think if I was someone who primarily stayed in nature, did things like hiking all the time, didn't mind the mess, had a "been there, done that" attitude when it came to this life, or was maybe older and less active, a dog would be great.

Lots of people think about the benefits of dog ownership but there's not a lot of real discussion about the negatives so I wanted to give my 2 cents. Take care.

Thanks Crofter. I know I keep saying this but shelters do temperament tests and Pits/Staffies more stringent than others. My current nugget got two 45 minute tests with 13 giant (but sweet goofy) Pits. She was trembling but stood her ground. They pulled her ears and tail, lifted her legs and lips, touched every part of her body then cut her loose with these goofballs. The volunteers and shelter workers will privately tell you which dogs have the most gentle or sweet (or anything) temperaments.
Every single guy who did any work on my house had a Pit. But many people are afraid of them. So many times people who wouldn’t go near my dogs ended up in love with the breed. You can get micros, minis and regular size and yes traveling with an 80 lber requires room.
Unfortunately different shelters do different things. There are too many horror stories about pits and mastiffs being brought home from shelters and then killing their new owners. The vast majority of dog attacks are just 2 breeds of dogs, pits being one, and there's a reason for that. When someone doesn't know a dogs history, they need to be cautious. I ADORE rottweilers but under no circumstance would I adopt one if I didn't know how it was raised. Animals are not people and what they consider a threat might not be what a person considers a threat. With a dog that can inflect significant harm, that needs to always be kept in mind.

he vast majority of dog attacks are just 2 breeds of dogs, pits being one

Depends on what we mean by "attacks".

The vast majority of attacks (bites) are by small breeds. Powerful breeds bite far less often but are responsible for most of the damaging/fatal incidents. There are something like 4.5 million dog bites a year, 750,000 treated medically, and ~40 fatalities.

Anecdotally, I worked with hundreds of dogs at shelters and was only bitten/injured by small breeds (chihuahuas, shih tzu, and lhaso apsos overrepresented). A Dane did stomp on my toe once but did not break the skin. :) My leashed ScaryBreedDog has aggressed zero dogs in the years I've had her, and on average is aggressed 2x/day by unleashed small dogs during our walks. So far she has exhibited remarkable patience and has not eaten any of them (to my knowledge).

My advice is don't.. but if you MUST, then start a test first. Buy a temperature monitor you can record the temp at all times and track your rig to see if it's well in the safety zone at ALL TIMES!

I did minivan life for a year with my chihuahua and while I adored it and loved the experience it was so stressful. I felt CHAINED to that minivan I don't think I spent more than 18 hours combined away from that thing in a year's period. I was always stressed about my dog and if she was OK. Granted I had a usb fan on her at all times since I had 200watts of solar I had the electricity plus on warmer days I also put the 12v fan on her as well.

The stress about being in a new city and not knowing what would happen while I was shopping for groceries always made me on edge. If I could do it again I'd probably plan my stays around a doggie daycare place where I could keep her for shopping trips or an afternoon so I could go explore the city and relax. Maybe even a 2 day hotel stay once a month to also give me extra time to have away from the minivan.

I know I know that adds up, but if you can't afford that... then can you really afford a dog? Maybe you have a close-knit of friends who wouldn't mind doggie sitting. I didn't but that might be enough to help you through the experience.

I went during the peak of a pan-a-rific dem pizza so social distancing was more important...

Think of it like adopting a child cause it.. really is kinda the same I'd say... Make sure you can care for the new dog comfortably and in a way that YOU still will be OK and able to care for yourself.

I had some terrifying moments over the last year... many of them was during the summer heat in Southern Texas. Yikes! I still wonder how did we make it out of that experience alive! There were times when I was OK and warm at a picnic area in Texas but my dog started to worry me as if she was getting heat stroke. I had to drive around for an hour or two so she could cool off in the AC cause it was just to hot for the cool water spray and other tips given it was in the low to mid 90's.

Think of the worst possible weather you experience and imagine doing that again but with a dog... what are your options and what can you do to prevent that pet from overheating?

Do you have an AC unit on your rig to bring the temp back down into the 80s or upper 70's? Do you have the funds to drive around and enjoy the AC during the heat of the day... which in texas seemed to be 2PM - 6PM if I remember correctly. That makes it difficult to plan your LIFE around...

No running away to a public Library or shopping mall to cool down inside. I can tell you the most guilty potty moments of my life was in Texas summer heat when I didn't time my hmmm's correctly and I had to take a number 2 at a Texas rest area when my dog was in the Hot Minivan with the fans, while I was sitting down on a cold toliet enjoying the AC... Dang... just thinking about that brings tears to my eyes..

Especially with global warming summers are getting hotter. Just look at Oregon the new phenomenon of "heat domes" where the temp is 100+ degrees. Yikes!

The only rig I'd feel safe bringing a dog with me during summer is a skoole where I could put an AC in the back and line up the solar on the top like crazy! Wouldn't worry about batteries since as long as the sun was out during the peak of the day then the AC be working. but if it was cloudly then likely the heat of the day wouldn't be THAT bad..

but yea, if you can truly provide a safe and comfortable home free from worry and stressing about a dog for the most part them I'd say go ahead and enjoy! Plus a Chihuahua can be very loyal and great guard dogs to wake you up if sombody gets near your rig... unless it's super cold out and they sleep under the blankets haha then the watch dog is to busy staying warm and cuddling to notice them until they get really close to the rig.

Back to adopting a dog - a lot of rescues will help you pick a dog if you explain your lifestyle. Spend some time with the dog, see if you like their personality. I've volunteered a lot with rescues and the Humane Society. I wasn't a fan of small dogs but am now, it's the personality, not the size of the dog. Puppies and younger dogs usually have a lot of energy. If you're more laid back, look for a relaxed puppy (hard to find) or an adult dog that's not high energy. There are also hospice dogs - a shorter term commitment which would be very rewarding and possibly more expensive.