Chevy vs. GMC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
I know that both Chevy and GMC are General Motors products.

What I don't know:

• Why are there two brands for what is probably essentially the same product?
  • What is the general reputation of one vs. the other?
  • In the case of vans, any significant differences worth thinking about?
Thanks,

Vagabound

Strange that most differences were appearance packages but insurance used to cost more for GMC don't know now!

same old same old. all the differences are cosmetic. they have been the same since the late 60's. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
Strange that most differences were appearance packages but insurance used to cost more for GMC don't know now!

It is like the VW / Porsche deal.  Basically the same parts, but you are paying for the name.

I had a number of Buicks, and many parts were interchangeable with Cadillac.  Same story.  You pay for the name.

GotSmart said:
It is like the VW / Porsche deal.  Basically the same parts, but you are paying for the name.

I had a number of Buicks, and many parts were interchangeable with Cadillac.  Same story.  You pay for the name.

So, for the uninitiated like me, does that mean that GMC was considered the deluxe version of a Chevy, like with Mercury and Ford?

Vagabound

Vagabound said:
So, for the uninitiated like me, does that mean that GMC was considered the deluxe version of a Chevy, like with Mercury and Ford?

Vagabound

Most of the difference is in trim and price.

Originally, GMC was a truck division that made things that Chevy didn't, including heavy commercial trucks, fire trucks and ambulances, school and transit buses, etc. 

Eventually, the GMC dealerships were allowed to sell re-badged Chevy light trucks as a way of increasing their business, to make it easier for them to stay in business.

Currently, they have been merged with Pontiac to allow Pontiac dealers to offer a line of light trucks like Chevy dealers can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_(automobile)

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Originally, GMC was a truck division that made things that Chevy didn't, including heavy commercial trucks, fire trucks and ambulances, school and transit buses, etc. 

Eventually, the GMC dealerships were allowed to sell re-badged Chevy light trucks as a way of increasing their business, to make it easier for them to stay in business.

Currently, they have been merged with Pontiac to allow Pontiac dealers to offer a line of light trucks like Chevy dealers can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_(automobile)

That is my understanding too....GMCs, like Pontiacs were just a bit fancier trim etc than Chevys........Now that Pontiac is made no more, its kind of a moot point. I am surprised the GMC name wasnt discontinued also.

GotSmart said:

The difference between a WV and a Porsche?  lock washers! :D

I used to have a late 70s Buick that was a Chevy Nova with a Buick name attached.  One of the Buick names got hit by debris. The Bu fell off. Then it was just an ick.
At that time the same car was also available as a Cadillac Cimmaron.
In the 1950s there were differences between Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, and Chevrolet.  They actually competed.  During the 1960s they homogenized.  I think the late 60s appearance of the GTO was the last of the differences in new products.

Summarizing:

Q:  Was / is GMC considered to be the more deluxe of the two, regardless of degree or method of implementation:

a.  Yes

b.  No

Vagabound

Yes, GMC was/is branded as a premium/light upscale offering when they entered the light truck market segment.  The term for this practice is called product differentiation and is intended to reduce price competitiveness and instead move consumers to purchase or prefer a brand based on other perceptions of the product like feature set, brand status, etc.

The subtle word I heard was GMC was more of a trucky truck. If there can be such thing. Chevrolet has in the past represented middle class austerity
like getting a green coleman canoe "the Chevrolet of canoes" I need to add my all time favorite van was a 1986 GMC 1 ton with a duromax 6..2

gsfish said:
?? Bad analogy! I don't remember any Porsches that were VWs with different trim. Also Porsches are much more magnetic for chicks.

Guy

Didn't the 914 have a VW engine?

Continuing:

Q: Other than insignificant parts like body trim, etc., for the same year vans from both product lines, are major parts interchangeable between Chevy and GMC vans?

a. Yes

b. No

c. I want to make this more complicated and say crap like "It depends".

Vagabound

Yes.

If you want to test it go to a used vehicle dealer and without looking  at the labels, try to find the differences!

Or go to a part supply place and ask for a mechanical part for a specific Chev. Now ask for the same part for a GMC, compare part numbers! They'll be the same.

I want to replace the cargo doors on my GMC because the windows don't open. I need to get my hands on a pair of Chev doors because most of those  were built with ones that do.

gsfish said:
?? Bad analogy! I don't remember any Porsches that were VWs with different trim. Also Porsches are much more magnetic for chicks.

Guy

One sister still races Porsche in her 70's.  She had a Vanagon with a porsche engine in the 70's.  Many of the undercarriage parts came off the same assembly line.   The big difference is in the shell.

Just like the 60's camaro and firebird.

GotSmart said:
One sister still races Porsche in her 70's.  She had a Vanagon with a porsche engine in the 70's.  Many of the undercarriage parts came off the same assembly line.   The big difference is in the shell.

Just like the 60's camaro and firebird.

Porsche Smorche ... this ain't about Porsches! (or VWs).  Anything on topic to add?

Vagabound