Chevy vs. GMC?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like everyone else said, mostly differences in the trim packages. I always thought GMC's were FANCY Chevy's. Now that I own one, I'm amazed at how many vehicles I spot with the big GMC logo on the front, I never really noticed before.

The differences between Chevy and GMC are slightly more than just trim packages but you have to pay attention to the year(brought it up just in case you found a decent older vehicle)!

Mechanically and other than a few years here and there where there were different motor, 4x4 and suspension options , they are identical.

Chevrolet advertises their products as entry level and offer more models, there are less options to choose from and the prices reflect this.  GMC has less vehicle models to choose from but offer MORE options on those vehicles and you also pay for it.  More Chevys are sold than GMCs.  If you want a good foundation for smaller price go Chevy.  If you want more choice in the bells and whistles you'll find it with GMC.

GMC had a 6.2 in their motor options and Chevy didn't(max was the 6.0) but I forgot which years and models this occurred with and I believe this was prior to the mid 2000s so you might run into it.  Also there have been various years where 4x4 offerings were available to some models but not to others.  Recently GMC has been offering different fenders and bed side panels on their trucks and camper manufacturers had to adjust because of the different bed sizes so now not all campers are interchangeable.

You also have to pay attention to the years of the product you buy when it comes to classic metal.  Way back when Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmopile, GMC and Caddy had many interchangeable parts but Chevy did NOT until the 70s maybe(I think it was the early 70s IIRM).

Oh almost forgot, I think it started with this model year but the dash trim GMC offers is aluminum, an upgrade to the plastic on Chevy models.  The Escalade now offers Magnetic Ride control and if it pans out economically I'm assuming well see a basic version of it appear for GMCs in the future.  Just a guess of course.

As far as the differences between the Savana and the Express; it's claimed the Savana rides better(not sure how) and there were a few years where the Express had a different wheelbase than the Savana.  The Savana has more standard options.  That's pretty much it.

Yes the GMC is considered more deluxe and the parts are not only interchangeable, they are the same.  Both model vans are built in the Wentzville Assembly plant, MO.  I've pretty much always preferred the look of the GMC over the Chevy but when it comes to finding one I'm going with condition, mileage and price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Express

A serious good luck on finding your dream ride.  Vans don't grow moss for long even a lot of junkers I've seen and sellers know it.

Headache said:

A serious good luck on finding your dream ride.  Vans don't grow moss for long even a lot of junkers I've seen and sellers know it.

Lots of good info, and attention to detail re: my questions. Thanks a bunch.

Vagabound

The VW/Porsche parts-swapping lore is exaggerated substantially here, Dr. Porsche's Gmuend pre-Kaefer years notwithstanding. Certainly nothing like the badge engineering we see in modern Chevy/GMC comparisons.

Interesting (and telling) note: The 914 and 924 were sold in Germany as Volkwagens in VW shops with VW emblems. As for parts use, normal 914 did have a vw transporter engine (not the flat four 356 mill as in the 912). The /6 models had the early flat-six 911 motor.

The 924 had Golf ("rabbit") door handles.

My money, having been a "car guy" for some fortyplus years, say the Chevy and GMC are essentially identical. Just different grills, headlights and tail lights.
Sometimes, through the 70s, some mechanical differences existed. My 1975 Pontiac Firebird had the specific Pontiac 350 engine. Chevy, Buick or Caddy parts would NOT interchange. At some point, the big corporations went to the "corporate motor" concept, to ease logistics and save money across the makes. This is also why they eventually killed some makes. Too many products competing for sales in the same class. So no more Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth, Saturn, etc.
Dodge has dropped the Grand Caravan minivan, as they and Chrysler are each aiming for different markets.
Sometimes these decisions by the top brass seem to make no sense to us.

Headache has the right of it, the basic platforms are the same, with GMC being the upmarket brand, and having more bells and whistles
GMC is also the guinea pig brand; any time GM has some fancy-shmancy system they want to test on trucks (magnasteer, rear wheel steering, active ride control, etc), the GMC gets them, as an option, first, then, if it's popular, it'll eventually find it's way into the Chevy lineup
Also, GMC still has a heavy, or at least medium, truck division, last I heard

Love my Chevy Van
Look at floor plan in Conversion
My floor plan has back King bed. It is where the dinette is but I dont use it as such. Also, overhead bed I use for storage. Some vans dont have overhead storage or bed.
Hope this helps.

ArtW said:
Also, GMC still has a heavy, or at least medium, truck division, last I heard

Not since 2009 when they killed off the Chevy Kodiak/GMC Top Kick line.  Both Flint and Montreal closed that year.  However, just this year Chevy is releasing the medium duty "Low Cab Forward" which I think is an attempt to thumb their noses at Isuzu for not buying the Kodiak/Top Kick lines and plants.

I keed I keed!  They are rebranded Isuzu's.  The marriage is still intact.  Not sure where the diesels are being built but the gassers are being produced in Charlotte, MI.