Chevy Express Van Conversion Log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb111

Reaction score
Hello All!

So I know I said I was going to start this awhile ago... and I have actually been working away at it for a couple of months.  I've taken a few pics along the way and I figured I would get going on this log before I get too far behind!

1-van-rtb160718.jpg

The Backstory:
I purchased this van partly used from a dealership.  It is a 2016 Chevy Express 2500 HD model and only had about 9,500 miles on it.  Originally I had hoped to sell my previous vehicle outright and find something more used... and less expensive.  But given my recent history of vehicle switcheroos, which I wont get into right now, I felt it was okay to trade my Subaru Forrester in on this.  And while I will still have a fairly hefty payment for awhile, at least I'm paying on something that will be suitable for my new lifestyle.  Not to mention there are some distinct advantages to having a basically new vehicle.  I still have a warranty for some time, and I shouldn't have to worry too much about mechanical issues for awhile other than routine maintenance.  Plus it gave me a clean slate to start my buildout!

2-van-rtb160718.jpg

3-van-rtb160718.jpg

Attachments

• 1-van-rtb160718.jpg
    1-van-rtb160718.jpg
    212.5 KB
  • 2-van-rtb160718.jpg
    2-van-rtb160718.jpg
    163.4 KB
  • 3-van-rtb160718.jpg
    3-van-rtb160718.jpg
    174.9 KB
continued,

I got the van on 4th of July Weekend and started planning the layout.  First I just loaded it up and used it a bit to see how things would end up.  One thing to know is that I am a professional photographer/videographer, and I also practice a few equipment intensive sports, such as SCUBA Diving.  So the plan is to set up a semi modular system where I can have containers set up for different missions and then load on or store as needed.

I decided to go with the platform across the back, and slide out drawers underneath that will fit interchangeable containers depending on the equipment needed at the time.

But first things first....

Insulation!

4-van-rtb160724.jpg
(Van load out for my first trip: A photo and video project for www.deep6gear.com who manufacture SCUBA Diving equipment. This photo in Marianna, Fl. at Cave Adventures getting ready for some cave diving!)

Attachments

• 4-van-rtb160724.jpg
    4-van-rtb160724.jpg
    256.5 KB
Can't wait to see how you build it out. Good looking van to start with. Which motor did you get?

Step 1: Insulation

After reading and watching too many posts and videos to count... I decided that I did need insulation.  I wasn't sure what to use, and it seems that keeping the heat out is at least as important as keeping it in.  I've seen numerous builds that include a layer of reflectix basically over the entire inside surface of the vehicle, followed by some sort of insulating layer, and finally a finishing layer, or not.  So the first thing I did was go and but a roll of it (reflectix) and cut out pieces for the windows. I already had a windshield piece from a truck I used to have and it fits pretty well so I used that for the front, then cut pieces for the side and back windows that are just a bit oversized and are just held in by tension...

Now I do realize that this is not the ideal situation since these are installed inside the van, thus the heat is already there... but as much as you can't argue with the science... we use what we have to the best we can. And I will say that even being inside just the addition of these panels did help the inside temperature...

Next came the floor, walls and ceiling...

Floor. For this I went around and around.  I found a few materials that I thought would work great for a surface, but for insulation I didn't want to take up too much additional space.  I don't feel putting reflectix down would make a bit of difference since there would be no airspace, and no light energy to reflect.  Being a new van, the factory installed insulation and rubber mat are in perfect condition, so I just left it at that.

Walls and Ceiling. A trip to Home Depot found a plethora of options.  I decided on a 1" rigid polyiso.  I cut it to size and fit it in between the ribs.  It is foil covered with a shiny side that I put towards the outside.  I didn't use any adhesive as it stays in fine by itself.

Ribs and inside Frame.  Most of this is still empty.  I would like to put some insulation in but haven't found anything I like yet.  For the larger spaces I've just used some scraps from the polyiso sheets.

I was sure I took some pics, but can't seem to locate them at the moment.  Here are a couple that show after the insulation was installed:

9-van-rtb160814.jpg 10-van-rtb160814.jpg

Attachments

• 9-van-rtb160814.jpg
    9-van-rtb160814.jpg
    207.4 KB
  • 10-van-rtb160814.jpg
    10-van-rtb160814.jpg
    187.3 KB