Chevy Express - AWD or no?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ452

Reaction score
I've read posts where folk seem to really like their AWD system but I took notice that Bob did NOT opt for AWD for his new Express.  He plans to put in a locker, but I believe that one can add a locker to an AWD van as well.

If that is the case, then why would one NOT want AWD to begin with?  Are they not very robust?  Is it just "more stuff to break"?  Or are they just more expensive to buy?

Thanks for any insight!

AWD is only on the 1500 vans, which many find to not be able to handle the weight of their setups

the AWD's are no longer in production haven't been for awhile. I am not a fan of AWD and I am not a fan of 4x4 conversions. highdesertranger

Lost in the world said:
AWD is only on the 1500 vans, which many find to not be able to handle the weight of their setups
Great point.  And it hadn't clicked with me that Bob did in fact buy a 2015 2500.  I've heard of a 2003 AWD 2500 but they seem quite scarce.  I wonder why it was only for the one year?  Hmmm...

highdesertranger said:
I am not a fan of 4x4 conversions.
But dang they sure do look sexy with a lift!  LOL

May I ask what you don't like about them?

2003 was the only year they did it in the 2500. Not sure why.

My friend is an electrician with an 2012 AWD Express, he loves it, mainly for use on New England Roads in the winter not so much going off road. But if you go on other forums they seem to have a very loyal following and others love the AWD Astros as well. I've been considering one or converting a new van to 4x4 or just adding a locker and see how it does. But i'm all over the place trying to decide on a rig. Can't do anything about it until a property sells i'm part owner of so in the meantime I just keep looking, researching and changing my mind a lot.

the reason I don't like 4x4 conversions is they contain parts that are custom made(never came factory). if/when you break these parts you are SOL until the company can make you a new part, assuming they are still in business. highdesertranger

AWD half tons are nice to have and forget about the conditions one encounters (pro) but they are more $ spendy (con), rarer/harder to find (con), light duty half-tons (con) and its (AWD) a complicated thing to fix as opposed to a locker of some kind (con).