Chevy Express 6 or 8 cylinder?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babz

Reaction score
OK, So what type of mileage can one expect for the Chevy Express.  I am thinking of a cutaway and either the 6 or 8 cylinder.  (actually in the mix is the Ford Transit Cutaway, too).  

I won't be towing, nor carrying heavy stuff -- clothes, bed, kitchen -- very little water.  Solar and batteries, but no tools, motorcycles, no generator.

I am a light foot and do not like to go very fast!  And very careful about jackrabbit starts, and such.

I am asking about GAS MILEAGE. What have you experienced?  

And you can add more comments in general about these Cutaways...
Cheers!
Babz

The minor difference in MPG is not IMO worth the loss of functionality and longevity.

But if you don't need the horses, and 6's are much cheaper to buy in your market, then that justifies it.

Towing and/or hilly country is where you feel the difference.

John61CT said:
The minor difference in MPG is not IMO worth the loss of functionality and longevity.

But if you don't need the horses, and 6's are much cheaper to buy in your market, then that justifies it.

Towing and/or hilly country is where you feel the difference.

For a full size van, I would go with a small V8. I really appreciate the highway driving and hilly areas with a V8. Any kind of hill, speed, or weight will hurt the power, the longevity, and the mileage of a V6. The tranny probably won't be as strong, either.

I'd look for a van with the 5.3L V-8. The 4.8L or the V-6 just doesn't have enough power IMO. You'll be working either of the smaller engines harder than you would the 5.3L making the fuel economy pretty much a wash.

I've had both, Chevy 5.3 great motor almost 400k on it now (2004) with your driving style (same here) 15/16 mpg highway,12 city.

Now have 2015 ford van with 3.7 V6 weight 7,200lbs 18.6 highway mpg, 14.4 city only have 60K up till now with no problem. these new generation V6 motors are pretty amazing.

Only problems with Chevy were all electrical, alternators,gauges,fan motors, all relatively easy fixes ( i was electrician )

We just got a 2006 v6 express and drove it up from Apache Junction AZ to Puget Sound. We averaged 20 mpg, despite all the mountain passes and having to go 80 mph for much of the journey. But then, the van was almost completely empty, so build out weight will probably deliver differently. Haven't bought gas since we got home, so I don't know what the small amount of city driving at normal (thank god) speeds will come out to. I generally drive like you do. I will report later.

Ok, so I just filled up, and in city driving netted 17.3 mpg. Total avg mpg for the 1666 miles we have driven since buying this van is 19.23 so far.

Mind you, it's an empty van. But we aren't going to be putting in a bunch of heavy stuff -- I don't understand people using heavy contertops etc in their vans. Why expend extra fuel just to haul it around?

ChezCheese:-) said:
Ok, so I just filled up, and in city driving netted 17.3 mpg. Total avg mpg for the 1666 miles we have driven since buying this van is 19.23 so far.

Know you said V6 but what engine is that? Nice mpg. 

Agree about extra weight. We removed the propane tank, piping, furnace from 88 chevy van and it jumped 2+ mpg.

Latest posts