Checked out some new Promasters...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
So the short roof one, I can almost stand up in. I'm just under 5' 8" and it's maybe a 1/2" to short to stand in, but I can basically stand and walk around. Of course that's without a floor or insulation in there. Too bad it wasn't just a couple of inches higher. This was the short wheelbase one too, the smallest one, but it was really large inside especially considering it's 6' wide which would allow me to sleep the short way across.

Also, they had a black long wheelbase high-top... no windows, or so I thought. Went inside it and there were windows all around! All sides and back, it was really cool. Because the van was black and the windows had such a dark tint you literally could not tell the windows were there. I was standing right next to it and did not even notice... Unfortunately though, I don't think any of them opened.

I am intrigued though with the small one, short wheel-base, short roof.

We came -> <- this close to going home with a Ford Transit yesterday, but the low top is much to low for me at 5'10", and the next higher roof is 8" to tall for the carport. *sigh*

Better get on the forums for each vehicle to make sure you like what you'll get. I'm not knocking the Promaster however they had some issues that are all over their owners forums. I posted a thread some months ago about the Promasters.

Too bad it didn't fit you. Always a compromise somewhere. And yes, adding flooring and ceiling insulation will lose another 2-4 inches... You'd want it at least a foot higher...maybe that 8' Transit is looking better now?

Keep us posted on what you find. If you want new (ish) and more computerized and updated mechanicals, that's the trend. always have to balance acquisition cost, depreciation, repair ability, fuel consumption, parts costs and comfort. Nothing is good in all areas. That or make friends with a Russian or East European hacker kid who can make you a lifetime gas card...

Queen said:
We came -> <- this  close to going home with a Ford Transit yesterday, but the low top is much to low for me at 5'10", and the next higher roof is 8" to tall for the carport.  *sigh*
The Transits are cool in that they come in 3 roof heights. The medium roof I think is prefect, it has 6' interior height. And I think they are the best looking of all the new larger cargo vans. But it's weird the battery is under the drivers seat. Also, the Promaster gets better mpgs from all I've read. Plus the Promaster is FWD and is supposed to handle nicely.

dusty98 said:
Better get on the forums for each vehicle to make sure you like what you'll get.  I'm not knocking the Promaster however they had some issues that are all over their owners forums.  I posted a thread some months ago about the Promasters.  

Too bad it didn't fit you.  Always a compromise somewhere.  And yes, adding flooring and ceiling insulation will lose another 2-4 inches...  You'd want it at least a foot higher...maybe that 8' Transit is looking better now?

Keep us posted on what you find.  If you want new (ish) and more computerized and updated mechanicals, that's the trend.  always have to balance acquisition cost, depreciation, repair ability, fuel consumption, parts costs and comfort.  Nothing is good in all areas.  That or make friends with a Russian or East European hacker kid who can make you a lifetime gas card...
Supposedly some are getting low 20's mpg in the gas version PM which is really good. I have been on the forum and most seem to really like their PM's. There are some minor issues, but most seem to give them the thumbs up. But, I am used to Honda and Toyota quality and compared to that the PM seemed sub-par quality wise.

Well, what's the van you are looking for and what's the budget? The 2005 era Sprinter Diesels are excellent, (older engine) but most have too many miles on them and questionable service and parts availability. They are somewhere around $8-12K, YMMV.

If you have the coin for new, yes, you are looking at the top 2. Availability of service is superior to Sprinters. I'd probably go with the Transit, but the PM is a close second.

Do you plan on driving a lot? That may be the decision maker or deal breaker. Do you "wrench" or are you like me, less inclined to do so? (Mostly cause I don't fit underneath anymore).

Nothing wrong with new, if you can absorb the initial outlay and the depreciation. For the rest of us, it's one-tenth of what you would spend for new... Does buy a lot of fuel and repairs (which we will need!)

As the poster said above, buy what puts a smile on your face...

D98

dusty98 said:
Well, what's the van you are looking for and what's the budget?  The 2005 era Sprinter Diesels are excellent, (older engine) but most have too many miles on them and questionable service and parts availability.  They are somewhere around $8-12K, YMMV.

If you have the coin for new, yes, you are looking at the top 2.  Availability of service is superior to Sprinters.  I'd probably go with the Transit, but the PM is a close second.  

Do you plan on driving a lot?  That may be the decision maker or deal breaker.  Do you "wrench" or are you like me, less inclined to do so?  (Mostly cause I don't fit underneath anymore).

Nothing wrong with new, if you can absorb the initial outlay and the depreciation.  For the rest of us, it's one-tenth of what you would spend for new...  Does buy a lot of fuel and repairs (which we will need!)

As the poster said above, buy what puts a smile on your face...

D98
Hey, great info, thanks. Budget is flexible but still a factor. Buying new would be nice for the reliability, I don't 'wrench' much at all. And I would like to drive across the country in it too. I'm in the NE and need to get somewhere warm for the winter! :)

The cheapest brand new 2015 Transit (cargo, not the smaller Connect) that I see online in Phoenix is $30K.  You could do better with a fleet price...  Connects don't usually go "on sale" like Focus or F150...

PM's (again cargo, not city) are typically mid $30's, a lot of 2014's (not new) still above 30K, don't know why. And those were 2500's, not 3500's and not extended length either... :huh:

Queen said:
We came -> <- this  close to going home with a Ford Transit yesterday, but the low top is much to low for me at 5'10", and the next higher roof is 8" to tall for the carport.  *sigh*

I hear yah.  I bought a high-top Transit without first measuring the beam over my carport, only to find the clearance was just 2".  I've had to be very creative about how and what I mount to the roof rack. 

I've been noticing those Promasters a lot lately.  Nice looking rigs.  :cool:

I bought a 2500 Promaster Hightop with the diesel a month ago. It handles great and I just averaged 25+mpg on a hilly trip this past weekend. I love the handling and room.

There are issues out there with the diesels though. My check engine light came on during the trip, a very widespread issue that is hit and miss of getting fixed in a timely manner. Once they figure this out I think I will have an awesome vehicle.

FYI: Transit diesels are reporting issues too for what it's worth.

*&^%$#@ new diesels. with all their electronic doodads. they have taken the simplest of all engines and turned it into an electronic nightmare. highdesertranger

BigT said:
I hear yah.  I bought a high-top Transit without first measuring the beam over my carport, only to find the clearance was just 2".  I've had to be very creative about how and what I mount to the roof rack. 

I've been noticing those Promasters a lot lately.  Nice looking rigs.  :cool:
If you're carport has an unpaved floor, dig down!

highdesertranger said:
*&^%$#@ new diesels.  with all their electronic doodads.  they have taken the simplest of all engines and turned it into an electronic nightmare.   highdesertranger

Emissions controls...

The full-size Transits came out in 2015.  2016 model year is approaching and some of the 2015s will be going off-lease.  Look for some deals in a couple of months.  

At 5'10" I need the high top version.  I looked at the Nissan NVs and Transits.  Transits win, hands down, in every possible way.  Fit, finish, good design, handling, all of it.

I ride to work in a vanpool that uses a low-top Transit.  It is a very nice ride.  Too bad they don't use the high-tops, I would look for one of them off-lease.

Just ordered a 2016 Ford Transit MR 148" LWB. Have to wait a couple of months for delivery before I can tell you much about it.

Did however some quite extensive research and comparisons and for me it was hands down the Transit. As with most things, different people like different things, so one is not particularly better than the other.

As already mentioned here, the diesel versions aren't to my liking and the Transit has a much better styling than the ProMaster.

Van Williams

Queen said:

cargovanconversion said:
Just ordered a 2016 Ford Transit MR 148" LWB. Have to wait a couple of months for delivery before I can tell you much about it.

Did however some quite extensive research and comparisons and for me it was hands down the Transit. As with most things, different people like different things, so one is not particularly better than the other.

As already mentioned here, the diesel versions aren't to my liking and the Transit has a much better styling than the ProMaster.

Van Williams
Must be tough to wait 2 months for it! I like the looks of the transit a lot. Although I'm not really keen on the battery begin under the drivers seat...

myke said:
Must be tough to wait 2 months for it! I like the looks of the transit a lot. Although I'm not really keen on the battery begin under the drivers seat...

Likely, it'll be at least three months and I just heard that the Limited Slip Axle that I ordered, was on order. It will be a long wait!

Van Williams

dusty98 said:
The cheapest brand new 2015 Transit (cargo, not the smaller Connect) that I see online in Phoenix is $30K.  You could do better with a fleet price...  Connects don't usually go "on sale" like Focus or F150...

PM's (again cargo, not city) are typically mid $30's, a lot of 2014's (not new) still above 30K, don't know why.  And those were 2500's, not 3500's and not extended length either...  :huh:

I just bought a new 2014 PM window van (I specifically wanted a window van). The one I got is basically a cargo van with windows (no rear passenger seats or anything). You can get great deals on 2014's as I got mine for 20% off window sticker of 36.5.