Cheapest way to buy Gas.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALLMAN

Reaction score
What is the cheapest way to buy gas. Best Discounts or Credit card discounts?

We buy gas every two weeks. I fill the jeep's tanks and use about half of that. We buy at Sam's Club or Murphy's... which ever is cheaper. When traveling, we use a Flying J fuel card for RVers sometimes. BTW, not all Sam's Clubs have diesel. Not a biggie as the bus has low fuel consumption. It has a "Fuel pincher" engine.

Some stations with cheaper prices give a discount of a couple cents for cash rather than plastic. Some grocery chains offer fuel discounts with their club cards. We also take advantage of our Pilot/FlyingJ RV discount card.

Gasbuddy.com is helpful to find good fuel prices as we travel.
We have a 454 engine that's a gas hog that likes premium gas, so we check ahead along our route for best places to top up the 60 gal tank.

How about membership travel clubs, good sams, escapes, any of those you recommend.

I wouldn't pay for a travel club counting on much in the way of fuel discounts. Their draw in mostly RV park discounts.
We use CoachNet as our road service, but there's no fuel discounts. They do, however, understand RVs send out a towtruck that will do the job and not one for a car. Hope we never have to use them, but its a comfort to have and at a reasonable price.

I always recommend Gas Buddy to find good prices...they have a cell app too.

I agree with Bindi. I would not pay for a card to get a discount anywhere! for anything! All free cards I am offered, I accept.

The only cards which have benefited me are grocery store cards to get their specials (although if you say you are just passing through they will often give the discounts anyway), the Flying J and TA cards to get a few cents off fuel (only when it is cheaper than their competitor) and the Panera Bread card, where I have scored a few freebees. But then, it is one of my favourite places for food and wifi, as I travel around the country.

Sam's club turned out to be a rip off. For one thing I never received the refund on my $25 off, for joining. In Tok AK at a Sam's RV Park, the stay cost $29.50. I asked for the discount and was told if I wanted the discount, she would have to charge me $37.75. So much for a discount.

Lifey

Kroger owned grocery stores honor each others cards, and combine for the gas discount. I've used my Ralfs card at Fred Myer, Smiths, and Frys. Safeway and Vons are the same as well. The Frys in Yuma put in a gas staion this summer.

Lifemagician said:
Sam's club turned out to be a rip off. For one thing I never received the refund on my $25 off, for joining. In Tok AK at a Sam's RV Park, the stay cost $29.50. I asked for the discount and was told if I wanted the discount, she would have to charge me $37.75. So much for a discount.

Lifey

I assume you mean "Good Sams Club" which gives discounts on campgrounds along with a ton of junk mail. Sam's Club is a wholesale grocery warehouse like Costco. I do not like Good Sam as the only discount I ever got was the single RV park in Nashville where I bought the membership (buying membership meant membership cost plus discounted park fee was less than full price). What I later found was the discount was only applied for one night. Not good for weekly or monthly stays. Therefore a waste of money for us. Sam's Club saves us lots of money on groceries. We only shop every two to four weeks. Having a large upright freezer allows us to buy larger amounts (less packaging) that we portion out and free or cook up several family sized entrees, side dishes, desserts which we freeze in single portions for fast meals for the two of us.

If you're in the United Kingdom and run a diesel engine don't forget you might be able to run your stealth camper van on vegetable oil. Careful of your fuel pump though cos if you knacker that up it can be an expensive fix. Anyway, to my knowledge you are allowed to use something like 2,200 litres a year by law.

For our counterparts in North America, we are currently paying +/- £1.40 for 1 imperial litre of diesel equivalent to $2.29 USD.

The supermarkets tend to be the cheapest sources of fuel.

Up in Scotland in the far north west (true wilderness country) the cost of petrol (gas) and diesel is very high indeed. Last autumn (fall) when I was up there, I was paying £1.68 a litre in some places equivalent to $2.75 a litre.

Btw there are 4.5 litres to one gallon. You do the math.

If you are in Canada, I find the best program is the Canadian Tire Options Mastercard. All purchases earn Canadian Tire money, Fuel being the best because the rewards multipliers are automatically applied.
Just keep paying off the card so you don't get interest payments.

I used to get $30-40 every couple of months that you can use towards fuel purchases as well.

Mark Andrews said:
Btw there are 4.5 litres to one gallon. You do the math.

There are 4.5 litres to an imperial gallon, but when you are in the US there are 3.75 litres per gallon.

Litres are universal, hence there is no such thing as an imperial litre. A litre is a litre no matter where in the world you travel. Part of the universal decimal system. To my knowledge there is only one 'western' country which has not adopted it.

Lifey

I use a WalMart gift card . You get it free , put a couple of $100 dollars on it . And when you use it at a WalMart that sells gas you get 3 cents a gallon off the pump price . Some times they offer 5 cents a gallon off . Every little bit helps .

There's an app called Gas Buddy for android where you can put in a location and search for cheapest stations in the area. You can also go to their website and search. I usually save 5-10 cents per gallon for just driving a mile down the road.

well... there are some dirty tricks...

farmers can get gas wholesale, as can anyone who has fuel storage tanks, a tractor, and lives in an unincorporated area. I have heard of farmers, fleet vehicle business owners, etc. Selling wholesale gas slightly above wholesale. but that would likely be illegal and bad.

there are some others... but much more illegal.

There's always.. uhmmmm.. the 'Mexican credit card' if ya wanna live dangerously. ..Willy.

If you have one of those loyalty cards go into a Safeway,etc. and ask someone who has a cart heaped with goodies if they use a card. If they don't, ask them if they will swipe your card. Do that a couple of times a day and you will have like 3000 points so you'll get gas almost for free!