Cheap van=Salvage title?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
I've been finding that cheap vans in my general area seem to turn out to have a salvage title, in many cases. Then too, my foot almost went through the floor in the back of one van I looked at, the rust was so bad. The person had covered it up with a rug. ! Is this the case anywhere, or is it better in other parts of the country, insofar as finding more older but well-maintained vans?

I'm by no means an expert, but I have recently shopped for a van in the Midwest (Iowa) before moving to Oregon to buy.

All the vans in my price range in Iowa were rusty as hell. In Oregon there is rarely much rust because we don't salt the road in the winter. You still face all the regular issues with buying an older vehicle, but at least you don't have to worry as much about rust.

CatCaretaker said:
I've been finding that cheap vans in my general area seem to turn out to have a salvage title, in many cases.

Some sellers more or less specialize in rebuilding cars that are totalled by insurance companies. It can vary widely why it was totalled and sometimes it's not due to a serious wreck. It could be because the cosmetic damage would cost more to fix than what the van is worth.

Anyway, you'd want to be cautious about hidden damage.

CatCaretaker said:
I've been finding that cheap vans in my general area seem to turn out to have a salvage title, in many cases. Then too, my foot almost went through the floor in the back of one van I looked at, the rust was so bad. The person had covered it up with a rug. ! Is this the case anywhere, or is it better in other parts of the country, insofar as finding more older but well-maintained vans?

I think if you can find one with good documentation of the original damage and what was done to fix it and by who, it could be worth considering. Few years ago I asked my ins co about coverage (Geico) & they said if I had the above they would write liability for one. But just buying one from a reseller could be dicey.

drysailor said:
Few years ago I asked my ins co about coverage (Geico) & they said if I had the above they would write liability for one.

I haven't thought about the insurance angle and I've never been asked by State Farm if the older vehicles I've bought in the past had a salvage title or not. I wonder if they could tell from the VIN?

The reasons for a salvage title can vary substantially. Many of the vehicles around Phoenix have salvage titles from hail damage.
Obviously, hail damage isn't really a concern so the only reason not to buy is potential issues with registering/insuring a salvage vehicle.

On the flip side, there's many reasons a salvage title vehicles is going to be nightmare. And ones in rust prone areas are that much worse.

Where are you looking and what is your budget?

CatCaretaker said:

This is somewhat of a cross post for me, so my apologies.  The following link is footage taken from a recent "test trip" of my van that I purchased for $800 in Eugene Oregon last year.  It's a 1995 Ford e350 1ton 15 passenger van with a 5.8l (351 windsor) engine, 270k miles on a rebuilt engine and transmission.  That only leaves everything else that could break (in a perfect world)!  I've made it my default driver for over a year so I could work out the issues before "adventuring."  

I'll post an interior tour soon, but if you watch to the very end, you'll see a glimpse of the inside.  This van was not really well maintained.  The engine & trans were terrific, but I've had to do quite a bit of work to it.  Needless to say, it's no longer a $800 van :)

There was one local van, also a 15 passenger e350, but a 2000 model, 160,000 miles, daily driver and they wanted $1,600.  That lasted about an hour on Craigslist!

Good Luck!

-T

^
Hey Umpqua: do you know at what mileage the engine was rebuilt? I have a '93 E150 with the 5.8L.

(PS..I'm on limited data so I have to avoid YT)

slow2day said:
^
Hey Umpqua:  do you know at what mileage the engine was rebuilt?  I have a '93 E150 with the 5.8L.

(PS..I'm on limited data so I have to avoid YT)

I don't. As far as I know, it was approx 25k miles ago, but honestly, the exact number is a mystery.  The work had been done prior the last owner who used it for his band's tour.  He did so for about a year.  I purchased the van after it returned from their last gig in Colorado.

-T

Basically, the insurance company will "total" a vehicle whenever the cost of repairing it would exceed It's current blue book value.

They give you a check, and they take possession of your totaled vehicle.  They will then auction it off, if possible, to recoup some of their money.  Badly damaged vehicles, which no one bids on, go to the crushers for recycling. 

A totaled vehicle that has been repaired will be issued a salvage title.

Vehicles that have a salvage title might have been in an accident, might have been damaged by hail, or might have been underwater courtesy of a hurricane.

I would not buy a salvaged vehicle unless I absolutely, positively, could identify WHY it was totaled in the first place.  I would certainly pass on a flood vehicle, or one that needed frame straightening.

You would want to do your research and inspect quite a bit before you buy. Sometimes a salvage vehicle can be in better shape than other ones of its age.

For example: A few weeks ago I bought a salvaged BMW. It had been wrecked in the front. It had all brand new shiney front end suspension and steering components, new body panels, new cooling system, and fresh paint job. All that stuff would have more wear on it on an original "clean" car.

That's not always the case due diligence is important.