Cheap Trick: Hello There...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vantastic

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentleman...

I might have dated myself!  If that tune is in your head you are over 40! lol

I am thankful for the activity in this forum...I have never been more appreciative
of community than I am in life at this stage.

After reading threads for hours...days (what am I saying) I decided to join.

I know many of you can recall the beginning, that glimmer of thought that bounces
from the edge of insanity.  What am I thinking!  Really...living in a van conversion.
I took a walk last night and all I saw was Honda Odyssey's and Toyota Sienna's.
I almost laid down on the street to measure the real time length of the Honda!
I woke today and thought of a daily routine...up from bed bunk to...ummm, to
what? 

Then the questions.  This is where the forum posts become magic...people sharing real
life details--the good, the bad, the ugly of nomadic life on the road.

I am a 52yo male living with his dad after my mom passed.  I will spare the sad details
to say life isn't working.  Living in So Cal can be a lonely place.  I moved from WA
in the PNW--a cabin on a private lake to metal coffins driving frenetically to nowhere,
drought, people always busy, neighbors that live 20 feet away but might as well be
3,000 miles apart, family that is disconnected, and way too much time alone.

I saw a documentary on the band RUSH.  When drummer Neil Peart lost his daughter in
a car accident, then his wife a year later he took to the road on his motorcycle.  55K
miles later over almost five years he decided to pick up his drum sticks and call the boys
in RUSH.  He needed to process by moving forward.  Something clicked in me.

That's good for now.  I will ask a few questions here and continue my research.  If anyone
can recall threads directly addressing or wish to chime in, thank you.

Blessings,
Joe

1. Health insurance or Emergencies: What do you do?  I am on Medi-Cal, so I guess should
stay in CA.

2. Thousand Trails: Some love it or hate it.  For $465 I can obtain a year pass to stay in
one of five regions, first 30 nights free, then $3 a night.  Can stay two weeks on, then one
week off OR four days on and off to another location.  Parks vary like cars on the road...
some luxury while others daily drivers.  I want a docking station for periods of time over
boondocking and going stealth continually like some do.

3. Free-Time: This is my biggest concern being single.  How to transition from vacation to lifestyle?
I used to rescue dogs and will get one...love large breeds, but will look for medium.

4. Docile Residence/Mail: I used my dad's address which will work, but what about getting
mail on the road?  Can you order from Amazon and schedule a delivery at a local PO?

5. Family/Friends:  This is a big one for me.  No way to get around this complication.  Nobody will
understand.  They will say I am escaping life...irresponsible...selfish.  My temples are tense
already.

6. Van Conversion: In my head I know what I need.  Solar system that is high end to run
fridge, TV (not sure about reception...I hate monthly fees), hot plate, heater, A/C (do I dare?),
excellent insulation, Fantastic on top.  Honda or Toyota?  Stealth (I choose the mini-van to
act like soccer mom in town)...boring lighter color tone, best long-range tires.  I am still in
the design phase, but narrowing down interior and ergonomics.

Those come to mind this morning...

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it can be. Let me ask you this. Is there any reason you're deciding on a minivan instead of a larger more roomy cargo/passenger van or truck with a camper? Also, if you're set on buying a Japanese van, I'd go for the Sienna. Honda Odyssey are all automatic, and Honda auto transmissions don't go much past 100k miles(I've got lots of experience in that area). The Sienna I also find is a more comfortable ride. Cheers!

Welcome to the site and yes, most all of us have spent days reading back through the archives, so you're not alone in that.

I can't help with some things like your medical coverage, others will help but I noticed a few things that come to my mind.

Check before you sign up with any of the organizations like Thousand Trails that what you deem to be RV living matches their idea of an RV. No point in laying out bucks if the group won't allow anything except professionally manufactured motor homes. Also spend some time visiting that type of campground BEFORE you buy in to them. Personally, I don't like hearing my neighbor snore and a lot of the campgrounds are laid out so tight that you can hear them flushing the toilet in the summer when the windows are all open. There are other choices - it's not boondocking or TT with nothing in between.

Most of us don't have enough free time - we hike, sightsee, take pictures, travel etc. etc. Also living a more simple life actually takes more time than you'd think. How to fill your time will be the least of your concerns.

There are lots of places to have your mail and parcels delivered to - put that on the bottom of the list of things to iron out - somewhere after you have a van and an interior but just before you hit the road.

As to friends and relatives - ha, just tell them you're going on an extended six month vacation and are planning on camping in your van. That's not as nuts to them as the concept of running away to live in a van down by the river... :rolleyes:

When it comes to the outfitting of a van it doesn't take an outrageously large solar system to power the compressor type fridges (RV fridges are different). A/C and a hot plate are out unless you want to have more solar than you have roof for. Both will usually have to be run on a generator which you'll be hard pressed to find room for in a mini van. Most of us run either propane or another type of fuel stove. Insulation should be matched to the type of weather you expect to live in year round - hint, SoCal won't need the same insulation as someone living in, say, Montana in the dead of winter.

Good luck getting started on an exciting adventure.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it can be. Let me ask you this. Is there any reason you're deciding on a minivan instead of a larger more roomy cargo/passenger van or truck with a camper? Also, if you're set on buying a Japanese van, I'd go for the Sienna. Honda Odyssey are all automatic, and Honda auto transmissions don't go much past 100k miles(I've got lots of experience in that area). The Sienna I also find is a more comfortable ride. Cheers!

Thanks. Means a lot.  The death of my mom was hard enough (I was working overseas in the Middle East--UAE) but when I gave up a high paying gig only to come home to rejection (nobody would even console me about mom...like she just disappeared, I realized all the shit never dealt with in my family rose to the surface).  I have done a lot of inner work since and have come to some powerful insights (made a website about it but won't share here). 

I thought of the Sienna or Previa (older but love to hear your thoughts on one with less than 100k if I can find).  

Check before you sign up with any of the organizations like Thousand Trails that what you deem to be RV living
matches their idea of an RV.
--Agreed.  Youtube is great for this.  They have changed ownership this year and the yearly pass is the way to go, BUT...it is parking lot "camping"...which is great for families and couples, but it is that "boxed" in feeling I want to avoid.  Might as well stay in LOST Angeles! lol

There are other choices - it's not boondocking or TT with nothing in between.
--Excellent.  This is what I am seeking.  TT main plus is the fees and the ability to dock somewhere for a few weeks.  I have to reorganize what I think time is :)  I will be on a saving budget so not traveling means no gas costs between stays.  The "what to do" comment applied to the TT experience..."OK, here, day three, now what?"  ...and the locations do vary greatly between nice and shabby.  

--The power options (solar knowledge) is crucial because if I do have electrical outlets (TT should supply power) I want to be able to run "appliance loads" as needed when available.  A small portable A/C w/single hose set-up would then work and the hot plate.  Ideally, I want to set up a larger propane tank over the single 1lb cans.  My limited vantage point says, "No open flame in van is best--use propane as a second option"...and this is where your experiences impacts my thinking.  I do really like the thin, flexible solar panels available today making a stealth look much more realistic over the mounted roof rack.  Good videos on this.

When it comes to the outfitting of a van it doesn't take an outrageously large solar system to power the compressor type fridges.
--Lot of time surfing this topic.  Many seem to like the "trucker" fridge.  If I secured a compressor (typical 3.2 size found on Amazon) and tried to get the best insulated one, I can work with this.

A/C and a hot plate are out unless you want to have more solar than you have roof for. Both will usually have to be run on a generator which you'll be hard pressed to find room for in a mini van. Most of us run either propane or another type of fuel stove.
--Good words!  I am very ergonomic and tend to think things through...lot of travel experience, but nothing compares to your (others in forum) practical yearly ins and outs.  I hope I am very teachable and listen well..."seek first to understand, before being understood" kinda thing.  I look for patterns, like the Buddy Heater option many seem to enjoy.  I was thinking an electric oil based space heater like I used in my cabin in WA (1500 watt)...but still have a long way to go in understanding the "electronics thing"--amps, watts, conversion, inverter...lions, and tigers, and bears, OH MY!  My head does spin with this stuff.

Insulation should be matched to the type of weather you expect to live in year round - hint, SoCal won't need the same insulation as someone living in, say, Montana in the dead of winter.
--YES...the TT's options made this easy (southwest locations only) or (northwest) or...  I really would like to have places to go that are not $30-50 a night kinda thing.  The WalMart stealth sleep is last option for me right now.  More power to those like this, but I do LOVE that quiet spot near a creek or under a tree in the desert. Someone has to have a travel log that highlights locations pro and con, something to map out for a monthly schedule kinda thing.

Thanks for taking the time.  Do you have a site or blog to follow?

The first thing to decide, aside from what vehicle to use, is what kind of lifestyle do you see yourself living.

Some here live in major urban areas and stealth park all the time because they have jobs or other obligations in the area. Others  (waves hand, pick me) will never see the inside of a city and while we may spend an overnight in a WalMart or truck stop while on the road, our primary time is spent in either free camping or downright inexpensive camping ($10.00 a night or less). Some wouldn't stay in an organized campground unless it's the last possible option, others spend most of their time in organized campgrounds either moving regularly or staying put for months at a time. Some run their businesses while on the road and need to accommodate the needs that that entails, others are either retired or on pensions. Most but not all of us are on limited budgets.

Once you (and we) know what kind of lifestyle you realistically envision for yourself, we'll be much better able to steer you in a direction. Note I didn't say 'right direction' cause there is no right or wrong about this whole deal... :D

I'd have a blog I think, if I could figure out a name for it. So far my brain goes to sleep whenever I try to decide on one. I'm also not sure if I'm dedicated enough to it to keep on writing on a consistently regular basis. I do have a running thread here that is detailing the build of my van

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Building-Arabella

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Vantastic! I have no doubt our members will provide all the help they can.
To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Regarding your thoughts on the Previa, I like them, but they wouldn't be my first choice. They are mid-engine with the engine right under the drivers seat, and can be a huge pain to find parts for and because the engine is right under the body, the interior can get quite hot, and they can be expensive to maintain and repair. I like the later model Sienna('06 and above), but all the generations and years of the Sienna are good vehicles. I used to work at a Toyota dealership, so I've got plenty of experience with these lol. Good luck in whatever you decide to get. Whatever it is, make sure to post pics! Cheers!

Vantastic said:
1. Health insurance or Emergencies: What do you do?  I am on Medi-Cal, so I guess should
stay in CA.

2. Thousand Trails: Some love it or hate it.  For $465 I can obtain a year pass to stay in
one of five regions, first 30 nights free, then $3 a night.  Can stay two weeks on, then one
week off OR four days on and off to another location.  Parks vary like cars on the road...
some luxury while others daily drivers.  I want a docking station for periods of time over
boondocking and going stealth continually like some do.

3. Free-Time: This is my biggest concern being single.  How to transition from vacation to lifestyle?
I used to rescue dogs and will get one...love large breeds, but will look for medium.

4. Docile Residence/Mail: I used my dad's address which will work, but what about getting
mail on the road?  Can you order from Amazon and schedule a delivery at a local PO?

5. Family/Friends:  This is a big one for me.  No way to get around this complication.  Nobody will
understand.  They will say I am escaping life...irresponsible...selfish.  My temples are tense
already.

6. Van Conversion: In my head I know what I need.  Solar system that is high end to run
fridge, TV (not sure about reception...I hate monthly fees), hot plate, heater, A/C (do I dare?),
excellent insulation, Fantastic on top.  Honda or Toyota?  Stealth (I choose the mini-van to
act like soccer mom in town)...boring lighter color tone, best long-range tires.  I am still in
the design phase, but narrowing down interior and ergonomics.

Those come to mind this morning...
1. Health insurance or Emergencies: I have no insurance. I can't afford it and I don't qualify.

2. Thousand Trails:  don't care for TT . A great deal has to do with I never found one near to where I was at. So it never seemed worthwhile for me. I will be getting Passport America ($44/yr) in August. You can check out the campgrounds that are part of the system without joining. They are 50% off regular nightly rent for 1 to 7 nights (a few are longer). Only way I can beat that is to stay for a month at a time... my other way of keeping costs down. The 50% off makes the site cheaper than most public campgrounds plus it gives me full hookups.

3. Free-Time: How to transition from vacation to lifestyle? I can't help you with that. I recently quit my job but have been working on the bus to make room for my daughter and her greyhound puppy to move in with me. I am working on trying to get the jewelry making back on track (not felt like doing anything since David passed away).

4. Domicile Residence/Mail: I am signed up with St. Brendan's Isle in FL. I think I need to add the ability to view the mail online to my monthly service. As for getting packages from Amazon/eBay... That's is what staying monthly will allow. I will simply stay a month or so someplace (Private campground) and have the package shipped there. Currently a resident of NM, I will change everything when I pass thru FL.

5. Family/Friends:  We have always been the ones that the rest of the family laughed at. I figure if they don't support me then they have no say so in how I live my life so I ignore them as much as possible. It helps that my mother and I get along best with at least 500 miles between us.

6. Van Conversion:Can't help you on that one either. I live in a self-converted schoolbus.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted. I wanted to say that 'Ghost Rider' by Neal Pert was written about his ordeal after losing his daughter and wife. Good book :)

I agree with the advice to think about the lifestyle you want to have and make some choices from that. I do know that can be hard if you have not actually experienced something similar. I lived in MT for 10 years and camped a lot -- both in a tent and in a mini van. So I already KNEW that I loved being out where I might not see or hear another person/vehicle for days. I knew I would not be frightened nor get too lonely. Only you can look at your life experiences and make some parallels.

You may want to take each of your questions and search the forum by the keyword(s). For instance, there is a very old thread started by Van-Tramp about "becoming a SD resident" (or similar). But someone added a new question in the last month or so and things in that old thread got updated. I am a SD resident (cheaper registration and insurance plus no state income tax). However, SD did not get on the ball with Obamacare and this year I have no insurance. On that Van-Tramp thread, Bob discusses which states he has found offer a "national coverage" health insurance policy. I am considering switching my state of residence.

Also Bob's BLOG posts vs this forum offer years of well thought out advice. His blog also has headers on some of the subjects (like solar) you need to know about.

You wrote out your list of major questions, so now you have an outline to do methodical searching. As you make a few decisions/choices, I think you will begin to feel more peaceful about your new life choices.

Rugster said:
I wanted to say that 'Ghost Rider' by Neal Pert was written about his ordeal after losing his daughter and wife. Good book :)

Ha...I was gonna mention that his book too...but I have a feeling you already know about it.

I watched that same documentary 3 days ago, (Netflix), and then remembered that they (RUSH) were going on tour this summer. SO I looked at their tour schedule...and wouldn't you know it...they played in Portland just last Monday!!! :(
(insert Homer Simpson...."DOHHH!!!!")

Good luck to you in your future on the road. May you find the peace you need.

WOW...cool forum with that "campfire" feeling.  Was at Big 5 here in So Cal today looking at camping gear and ran into a woman who was heading to the same place I was off to with her kids.  Small world?  We grooved on all things camping and it was like we knew each other.  Something about this thing right?  

Thanks for all your thoughts.  Yes, Ghost Rider was Neal's healing experience.  As a drummer, he was more a inspiration than influence.  My drum hero and the guy that influenced me the most was Jeff Porcaro.  If you got time to burn see my blog (http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com)

As a kid, I could not grasp Peart's playing and RUSH until Spirit of the Radio, then the epic, Moving Pictures.  After, I revisited my favorite LP, A Farewell to Kings.  That blew me away musically.  RUSH really has the spirit of this forum...listen to your own voice despite what others might say or think...don't live for the sold out stadium...but if it comes, good (RUSH touring with KISS early on was just funny!) 

If you're a Peart fan, his instructional video, http://faststrings.com/neil-peart-work-in-progress.html, goes over the Test for Echo LP, song by song.  This is where I went, "Whoa...the drummer for RUSH sounds more like a literature professor than a prog/rock musician!"  Any RUSH fan would love this...he thinks in pictures and movements when describing how he constructs drum parts, in one scene he says he thought of a flowing river of water when he listened to the demo Alex sent him and then drummed what he thought water flowing sounded like.  That was the take on the album.  Stuff like that.  As if writing all the lyrics to RUSH tunes on top of the drumming was not enough!  He wasn't writing, "We love you yah yah yah" lyrics. Some deep stuff up there with Kansas and Kerry Livgren in the early days.