Cheap Heating?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have read recently paraffin wax candles are not safe... for long periods of time in a small enclosure like a van. They have a number of cancer causing ingredients since paraffin is derived from oil and is essentially a petroleum product. I'd much rather go with soy candles but then they are likely alot more $.

Vegetable oil is seemingly the safest. I can't see it producing nasty toxins... correct?

That said, I think running two of these clay pot "heaters" is a cheap and easy solution to heat a van. With adequate oxygen/fresh air vented in it seems pretty safe. However, they would take a while to reach their potential as to how warm they will heat the enclosure.

Going the 'open flame' route, why not just get one of those cheap kerosene lanterns (the metal ones with the wide base and bail handle) and heat with that? Many years ago, I quite comfortably lived in below freezing weather using one for heat/light. Worked in both a tent and camperette. You can probably even burn vegetable oil in one, though there might very well be problems with it congealing when cold. ..Willy.

Except that doesnt the implementation of the clay pot create more heat then an oil lantern?

The clay Pot does NOTHING by it self---it must absorbe heat from the lit candle first..
the oil lantern gives off more light & heats the glass as well=heat
i have NO clue which gives off the most from the same size flame size.
personally i don't want the smell from kerosene in my van. I do carry some TiKi oil to burn (Outside),I have never burned it inside. But to keep from freezing to death some will have to do what works for them.
sparky1.

Most of that tiki oil I've seen smokes.
Frankly, I'm going to do all I can to make sure my propane heat is in safe working order.
I would dern sure try the cooking oil method if my heat crashed.
We also have a small Coleman lantern that screws to a green bottle. We know it will keep a bedroom comfy in 30 degree temps during a power outage.
I'll find a way to keep us warm safely one way or the other.

I could see clay pots over cooking oil heating a small space.

Open flame, small confined area, bad juju. I'm not talking about burning up available air. (not possible in a van). I'm talking about the potential for knocking over causing fire. Don't reinvent the wheel. There are quite safe ways of staying warm, including everyone take off their clothes and get in a big pile. :)

Ok, the best suggestion yet is a big pile of nekkie bodies.

No way I'm sleeping during a heat crisis if it requires an open flame. Just couldn't close my eyes.

sure glad i'm home right now---a whopping 19 degrees here & ice on the windows-electric heat to the rescue.
stay warm folks-

A couple of reasons why I like those 'storm lanterns' is that the wide base makes it harder to knock over, and the bail handle allows it to be hung from a hook.. making it impossible to knock over. Just have to have a length of fine chain to hang with just in case.
Those Tiki-torches smoke because the wick is often not at the correct height for a clean burn. One can get the same effect with a kerosene lantern by having the wick up too high, which produces a rather large flame that pukes out carbon and smells gawdawful.
The lantern will generally produce considerably more heat/light than a candle. Just look at the width of their respective wicks and that should give you an idea. The lantern also allows for adjusting the flame size for more heat during the day, let's say, and less during the night. ..Willy.