Cheap, easy eating from Old Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxGypsy

Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time in Old Mexico and I am amazed at how flavorful, filling and economical the food is. &nbsp;I thought I'd pass on some of what I've learned.<br><br>Beans are omnipresent in Mexico. &nbsp;They are eaten at least once a day and often at every meal. &nbsp;Beans are good for you and they are a wonderful fiber rich base for making many different dishes. &nbsp;<br><br>I was lucky enough to be invited to eat lunch with the building crew that was finishing up the house I was going to start renting the next week. &nbsp;They had black beans(most of Mexico eats black beans rather than pintos) that were well seasoned, salsa, fried eggs and tortillas. &nbsp;I was served a bowl of beans, topped with an egg, some salsa and tortillas. &nbsp;There were no eating utensils! &nbsp;One fella explained to me that a tortilla was a spoon. &nbsp;The whole crew had fun teaching me how to eat with a tortilla. &nbsp;That was one of the best simple meals I've ever had. &nbsp;In Mexico there are almost always tons of tortillas served with a meal. &nbsp;Tortillas are one of the cheapest foods available there and you are expected to eat plenty.<br><br>Learn to make tortillas....there is no comparison to store bought, and they are pennies or less each. &nbsp;They are easy to make once you get the hang of it. &nbsp;My first attempt at making a flour tortilla had my Amiga's Mexican husband laughing so hard he was crying and saying.....hey, it is in the shape of Texas! &nbsp;Even with it being funny shaped, it was still delicious. &nbsp;I'm now reasonably proficient and could whip up a batch anywhere that I can find something hot to cook on and a flat surface to roll them out on.<br><br>When in doubt, dice up jalapeno, tomatoes and onions. &nbsp;Though I am primarily a vegetarian, I do eat fresh 'free swimming' fish from time to time. &nbsp;The absolute best fish dish I've ever had was marlin cooked with jalapenos(remove seeds to remove the heat), tomatoes and onions. &nbsp;This was served with a side of beans, hot tortillas and Mexican coke in a glass bottle. &nbsp;Heaven! &nbsp;This works with most any type of fish. It comes out with the fish minced up into small pieces. &nbsp;Cook the onions and jalapenos first and then add the tomato and fish when the veggies are about half done.<br><br>Simple snack. &nbsp;Heat up a flour tortilla and place slices of avocado and roma tomatoes in it with some sea salt. &nbsp;Stick some tortillas in tin foil on the dash to heat them in the summer and this is a super quick, easy snack to fix on the side of the road.<br><br>Everything is better with salsa. &nbsp;Salsa adds lots of flavor and lots of nutrients. &nbsp;When I eat out(invariably breakfast foods since Texas is NOT vegetarian friendly..lol) I often help round out/help out a mediocre meal by smothering everything in salsa. &nbsp;If you ever get used to 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 salsa for your french fries you will never go back to plain ketchup. &nbsp;By the way, if you get salsa at a restaurant that is too hot for your taste...cut it in 1/2 with ketchup. &nbsp;Check out the Mexican food section at the grocery store and they will likely have little cans of salsa that say Salsa Casera(hope I spelled that right). &nbsp;This is good salsa, will do about 2 servings, so you don't have to worry about refrigeration. &nbsp;Generally this is very economically priced as well. &nbsp;<br><br>Mexican potatoes are traditional for breakfast, but awesome for any meal. &nbsp;Cube potatoes, dice onions, couple of cloves of garlic, dice jalapenos and cook in olive oil over medium heat until the potatoes are mostly done. &nbsp;When potatoes are almost done you can add tomatoes if you want. &nbsp;I prefer without tomatoes. &nbsp;You can eat the potatoes plain or beat up some eggs and stir into the potatoes. &nbsp;Burritos!&nbsp;<br><br>The easy, no mess way to eat avocados. &nbsp;Cut in half lengthwise. &nbsp;Remove seed(thwack the blade of your knife into it sharply so that it sinks into the pit, twist and it will come right out). &nbsp;Use a knife to 'score' the avacado meat down to the peel, but not through it about 3 times so that it has been divided into fourths. &nbsp;Then score it across at a 90 degree angle. &nbsp;A spoon will easily carve out neat bites. &nbsp;Throw about your 'bowl'(the peel) when you are done. &nbsp;It takes far longer to explain it than to do it.<br><br>Add some fruit to almost any of the above suggestions and you have a pretty danged nutritious meal. A single serving of everything listed should be under $1. &nbsp;The fish dish might exceed that depending on what type of fish you use(you could always catch your own).<br><br><br>

Great post, I agree homemade tortillas are the best!<br>Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the ideas. As for the catch my own fish, I'm to add. Someone told me once maybe fly fishing would work for me.

After checking out the price of non-resident fishing licenses in the states I want to visit, I'm pretty sure that it will be cheaper to buy fish. &nbsp;It's really a shame since I'd enjoy doing a little fishing.

check into cat fish farms and such.&nbsp; sometimes it is not fishing if it is private ponds stocked with fish.<br><br>and once you are over 60 you sometimes can get discounted fishing license.&nbsp;

txgypsy I hear you on the non resident fishing licenses ditto on hunting licenses also.&nbsp; when they used to be more reasonable I used to get them all the time.&nbsp; not anymore.&nbsp; guess it just for rich folk these days.&nbsp; highdesertranger

MMMMM salsa and avocados!&nbsp; I was really lucky one time and scored 20 avocados for only 50 cents each at a grocery store called Sack n Save.&nbsp; I had at least 2 every day...<br><br>I too thwack the pit, twist it, then score the meat, and scoop it out.&nbsp; The best method by far.<br><br>I like to make a large batch of very hot salsa with lime in a blender, blend it gently with avocado, then store this in a fridge.&nbsp; When I get my van power, it will be in the van.&nbsp; I stick this sauce on everything I eat, and often, just eat that only...all day.<br><br>Instead of using normal corn tortillas, I like larger wraps, as I tend to eat alot, when I actually make my own food.&nbsp; <br><br>Nothing beats fresh homemade food, for sure, and the food from Mexico is oh so much fresher than the Tex Mex you get in Texas.<br><br>I never buy Mexican food in Texas unless it is from a lunch van, or something similar to that.&nbsp; The chains are just...bad.

Latest posts