Cheap Chevy Suburban Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailer-t

Reaction score
Hi,  I am new here,  and I thought I would post a few pics of my '99 Suburban Camper that I am working on presently.  The only physical modifications to the vehicle is the passenger seat is turned backward (so I can use it like a recliner and access the back area), and the front center console is removed to make room for a 52 quart cooler (the center console will slide right back in place in about 30 seconds if needed).  The 8' x 10' awning is from 3/4 inch conduit & seems rock solid.  I just go camping in it for now, and it stays plenty warm with a space heater down to at least 25 deg f.   The ceiling is a bit too low, but I just used what I had.  I use the Suburban to tow my Cargo trailer camper conversion when I need a/c or to haul my motorcycle.

The back area has space for  my 2000 watt generator and 18" grill with fuel etc. I am looking now into installing a Deep Cycle Battery and 12 volt system.   It just has a Coleman cot with 12" under bed storage which was what I wanted.

The " floor"  is a sheet of 1/2'  plywood  and outdoor rubber back carpet.  I can just pull out everything to pop the back seats up..   Presently, I am working on reflectix panels described prior thread in the "insulation" threads.  Any suggestions to improve would be much appreciated.    T

Attachments

• 2019-12-07 16.23.05.jpg
    2019-12-07 16.23.05.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • 2019-12-07 16.21.52 (1280x719).jpg
    2019-12-07 16.21.52 (1280x719).jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2019-12-07 16.22.27.jpg
    2019-12-07 16.22.27.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 2019-12-07 16.23.19 (1280x719).jpg
    2019-12-07 16.23.19 (1280x719).jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 103
Looks great and an easy way to get on the road.

Welcome to the forums, this looks about like what I would like to do yo my 3004 Ford Excursion 4x4 diesel. I have 2 big house batteries for the diesel, that should run about everything I need. I had thought about a full length roof rack also, and moving the spare tire to a swing away rack.

nice job. don't you wish they still made high tops for Suburban's. I have the same BBQ, I also have a smoker attachment for it, yum. highdesertranger

Thanks for the replies.

to highdesertranger--What is the smoker attachment you mentioned?--the grill shown in my pic is an old version of the Weber Jumbo Joe 18" grill that I have had about 10-12 years. I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain 18 inch smoker that I bring in my cargo trailer sometimes. My cargo trailer started as a BBQ contest trailer that I converted for camping due to my lack of use. Thanks T

to ckelly78z-- I am thinking about a roof rack or box on this as well. The spare tire in the back is in an inconvenient location and eats about 2 square feet of scarce floor space. Also, all my tools are stored "behind" the reversed passenger seat under the dash and that space could better be used for a house deep cycle battery and 12 volt system and inverter. Bottom line it does not take much on these bigger SUVs to set it up at least for camping for very little cash investment. I also bring a 6x6 Quickset clam shelter but have not messed with it yet. Thanks T

Reminds me of my dad's 80 blazer he rigged up for hunting.

Nice! I never heard of these.  The 22" version is interesting for the price compared to the 22" WSM. 

I am actually going to downsize a basic 14" Smoky Joe to save space in my SUV.  My 18 inch Jumbo Joe has the side intake holes instead of the bottom holes and maintaining heat is a problem on the old style Jumbo Jo (I think that was why it was discontinued for several years).

There are a bunch of links on making a mini 14" smoker from a base Smokey Joe and a Tamale Steamer pot and that is what I am thinking of doing. 

link:  https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smokey-joe-mini-wsm-project

Happy Smoking!  T

yeah I started with the smaller one but if I tried to cook for a few people it was just to small. 8 hamburgers was a challenge. also a full rack of ribs wouldn't fit and forget a tri tip or brisket. highdesertranger

What sort of MPG do you get? Engine? Year?

I’ve had 2 vans with 5.7L (350) and got 13-14+ on one and solid 15-16 on the ‘98.
The engines seem to be good runners.

Like your setup. What frame do you use for the bed?

As far as fuel mileage on my diesel Excursion (8200#). I knocked down 18.5 mpg with 6 people, luggage bag up top, and 2 bikes out back running from Northern Ohio, to North Carolina. I generally get 13 mpg pulling my 9000# travel trailer. It is always going to get better mileage than a gas version, but cost more to buy, and to run so....

Firtree, The bed frame is is just a regular Coleman Comfortsmart cot (about $48). They also make a longer wider size "delux" model.
The Coleman Ridgeline III is also highly rated but is like $70.

I added some cheap memory foam to the original mattress--. It does OK but the mattress slides a little.
There is about 12.5 inches of clearance under the frame for storage, porta potty water jugs etc.
You can fit 4 storage boxes under the cot (each 13" W by 25" L by 11" tall).
Ceiling clearance is low but I wanted the storage under the mattress instead of putting the mattress on the floor.

I thought about building a bed frame but I was trying to keep it simple.

The Truck is a '99 and has a 350 (remanufactured Jasper). Mileage is fairly poor @ about 13-14 highway without
towing anything. I was expecting something like 16, but it is what it is. T

I have a "Cobb" BBQ dome covered grill. I wanted a BBQ that was not too big or too heavy and was very well made for durablity. It is not a high temp grill, more of a slow cooking BBQ and you can set it up with some wood chips in the inside ring to add smoke. The do have an extension ring to raise the height of the dome. Also a griddle you can put on it for making breakfast. There is now a "portable version, a little smaller than the standard, too bad they did not come out with it before I got mine or I would have opted for it. But mine is not all that much larger so it will do. I do want to order the griddle accessory for it . Having grown up in Texas I am of course a huge fan of BBQ (and Mexican food).

https://cobbgrillamerica.com/

That Cobb looks nice!! The stainless steel should last forever. I was looking primarily for a higher temp direct grill since that is what
I cook while camping. At home I do alot more low and slow BBQ with Pellets or Drum style smokers. By coincidence my Weber
14" Smokey Joe Premium showed up today. It is WAY smaller than the 18" Smokey Joe discussed above. But I cook for one person camping
, and the 14" should get a lot hotter with the small charcoal chimney I carry in the suv.

How long will the Cobb cook low BBQ temps with a normal load of coal.? t

FYI: Biggest complaint for car and even some can dwellers including me,  can't sit up/ can't stand up/ try putting on your pants after pooping in a bucket when you can't stand. It sucks... GMC Yukon 4 months so far... Getting old fast.

Mooma said:
FYI: Biggest complaint for car and even some can dwellers including me,  can't sit up/ can't stand up/ try putting on your pants after pooping in a bucket when you can't stand. It sucks... GMC Yukon 4 months so far... Getting old fast.
Mooma,  You are 100% correct on the low ceiling on the GM/Chevys.  I usually camp in my Suburban with a cargo trailer (7' by 12'- with stretch nose w/ 6'6"ceiling) unless I want to just overnight at the lake.  My cargo trailer is real minimalist -I think-- and it  makes life much more comfortable.   The cargo trailer was kinda based on the Bob Wells' cargo trailer video from a few years ago.  T

Attachments

• 2019-05-05 16.24.47.jpg
    2019-05-05 16.24.47.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hey Trailer T

I wanted to ask a little more about your build. I currently have a 2003 GMC Yukon XL. I'm in the process of converting it to live in it full time.(temporarily)

I'm  Interested in how you did your flooring as I see it looks like you have pull outs in the back for tables or countertop space. Did you rip up the carpet? I'm assuming you left both middle passenger seats in but just have the left side folded down? I have taken out my left side mid passenger seat and just trying to brain storm on the best use of the space. I was considering building a small platform for my bed with approximately 10 to 12 in underneath for storage. I see you have a cot which I've considered. Anyway... any more detailed information be greatly appreciated. I.e. pictures would be awesome. I've just been racking my brain as to whether or not to take the left side panel off where the tire jack is stored over the left rear wheel well for more space. I've seen people build a narrow Cabinet on that left side. Anyway I'm trying to do the least amount and the cheapest route...

It was awesome to find someone on the Forum that has a similar vehicle to mine and to see what you've done.

Happy camping... from

Jeff in Tennessee

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk