Cheap carbon dioxide detectors OK?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogidog

Reaction score
I see prices ranging from 15 to 200 dollors, in back of small pick up truck would.cheap one suffice? Dont want to kill my dog. She will be lower than me,.thanks!

Did you mean carbon monoxide aka CO?

If so I have a Kidde with digital display for $50, and a Kidde without the display(as a backup) for about $20 (Canadian prices)

You want a Carbon MONOXIDE detector.  Carbon MONOXIDE (CO) is a deadly gas in low concentrations.  Carbon DIOXIDE (CO2) is benign until quite high concentrations.  You will be hard pressed to find a CO2 detector for under $800.

Cheap CO detectors work well but do not hold up to lots of vibration (and so will need to be tested more often).  There are CO detectors made for RVs but they are more expensive.  I have a smoke/CO detector ($30 at HD) in a camper riding on a 3/4 ton pickup that has worked for the past year and a half.

There is disagreement on where to place a CO detector; I placed mine on the ceiling.  If in doubt, place it at the level you are concerned about.  CO mixes very slowly in still air.

-- Spiff

Sorry about the wrong words! This helps a lot, can get one around 30 and under and place it at the level of the dog and close to her. Thanks!

Are you using a lot of gas appliances like a furnace, oven, gas fireplace, etc? If not, then you probably don't need to worry about carbon monoxide. Just make sure you have some ventilation.

The main difference in specifications between the RV units and the household ones is the temperature range they can withstand.

thank you guys, nice Video, clear voices, good to know on the temp ranges.

As of now (subject to change with knowledge and experience) I am thinking of leaving some of the air gaps in the tailgate area in truck and putting the mr buddy back there, I will only be using that and a stove to heat water for coffee in the am, so sounds like I don't have to worry much. The problem I see with that is it could blow out, my other Windows don't open, so I don't want to seal it too much.

Thanks so much!

if you are running anything that uses any type of combustion in an enclosed area, you need to provide fresh air. the buddy heaters tell you in the instructions how many square inches you need. please make sure you provide the proper ventilation. highdesertranger

Yogidog said:
thank you guys, nice Video, clear voices, good to know on the temp ranges.

As of now (subject to change with knowledge and experience) I am thinking of leaving some of the air gaps in the tailgate area in truck and putting the mr buddy back there, I will only be using that and a stove to heat water for coffee in the am, so sounds like I don't have to worry much. The problem I see with that is it could blow out, my other Windows don't open, so I don't want to seal it too much.

Thanks so much!

please install a operating window in the camper if you can.   i always carry a heavy claw hammer with me, you never know when something could happen where a broken window or pried open door can save a life.  I worry about the heater sitting between you and your esa blocking maybe your only out & iffy ventilation to boot!  It sounds like you are making good progress on your lifestyle change.   Queenie and I are definitely envious       :p     TJB

A CO detector is cheap protection against CO poisoning.  Anytime you have an oxygen consuming device in an enclosed living area you should have one (even with 'proper ventilation').

-- Spiff

a human or a dog is an oxygen consuming device. low oxygen and high CO are 2 different things. a CO detector will not alert you of low oxygen levels. In my previous post I in no way meant to say you don't need a CO detector. even if it might have seemed that way. highdesertranger

Thanks so much u guys, got the window open.

Will use your hammer idea, Tell Queenie this aint no walk in the park either!