Change of Heart - No RV - Moving too fast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
Well, the bank called and suddenly they'll loan 5K less than previously approved for, so I said never mind. Called the seller and told them and now I'm looking for an apartment.  Sooo, I'm still RV Hopeful ...  :( a year down the road.

This'll give me time to pay off my dental stuff and start putting away $$ for the future.

Thanks for all of the wonderful input and helpful information and all the caring, etc.

You'll get there, just a little different timeframe!

Your bank dropped their offer by $5k and I can almost imagine how disappointing that must feel. So sorry that happened. Any chance of applying at another bank?

Not to sound too cliche but you know, anything can unfold over the course of a year. I was sorely discouraged about my prospects to van-dwell after trying to make something happen for a few years. Just 10-days ago, on a whim, I checked craigslist to see if there might be a used trailer that I could pick up cheap and then turn into a build-up project. On a whim (and I do mean a whim: I had zero expectation or hope that I'd find a suitable and affordable van), I checked for vans and there it was! Something in me 'clicked' and I felt strongly that this was already 'my van', and that there must be a way to get it.

I called a friend who I'd hoped would be able to help me financially but they were unable. I was disappointed and shared my feelings of disappointment with another friend, who was inspired to help... and did! We drew up an agreement for me to repay him over 3-months, beginning in June, and the next day the deal was done! I'm still pinching myself because it happened so fast -- so unexpectedly.

All that shared to encourage you with this: keep those eyes and ears open! You never know when some unexpected opportunity may be waiting right around the corner :)

Not a time to back off RV. Here's a little insight, I recently bought a Gulf Stream MH that booked for $46,000 for $23,000. I resold it for $26,000. The glut of world oil has shut down the fracking in the upper midwest. The oil field workers were living in every type of rv you can imagine. When the jobs went away they walked away from the rv's they were living in, as a result banks and financial institutions are buried with repo rv's. This has hammered rv values. Now is the time to shop hard and buy. No, I am not in the business and can't help anyone find an RV. Good luck.

Bank said it was because Nada guide indicated that AMT, of course the bottom of the spectrum. When I ckd nada it was 23-25 ... All things happen for a reason so I'll just keep on keeping on. Gives me a chance to fine tune medical issues as well as pay off dental. It's all good as they say. (Now that the tears have stopped that is!) Chuckle

RV-Hopeful said:
Bank said it was because Nada guide indicated that AMT, of course the bottom of the spectrum. When I ckd nada it was 23-25 ...  All things happen for a reason so I'll just keep on keeping on. Gives me a chance to fine tune medical issues as well as pay off dental.  It's all good as they say. (Now that the tears have stopped that is!) Chuckle

I'm so sorry you've had this disappointment.  Please don't stop posting here,,,somewhere/someone said that vandwelling is a attitude  as well as a lifestyle and not just something you have to be in a van to embrace.  I know that's not word for word but I think Iv'e got the gist of it You have had a lot of things going on in your life in the past months ....maybe this is a chance for you to catch your breath and regroup.

My bad news for the week.... :huh: ....A 14yr old run away has recently been crashing in my '97 Viking pop up.
The trespasser is in juvie jail [not my doing]......I have been told if you are under 16ys here in AL and a runaway you are picked up and held.   

So my Mothers Day celebration, the first one in 20ys with my son will consist of a dawn raid to see if anyone else is sleeping in it...closing it up and moving it to a locked secured yard at a friends, opening it up and doing a major cleaning and repair........well at lest there will be a feast too...smoked pig butt, baked beans, fried okra, garlic toast, cherry pie salad and whatever else we can think of........loud cajun music with some Big Smo, Moccasin Creek,and Bosephus....this is  L.A. [lower Alabama] after all    :D

Life goes on, you hang there   ;)      Jewellann and Queenie

RV-Hopeful is still a beautiful username. You are right, things happen for a reason. I second the "stay around" and the "vandwelling is a state of mind". One last suggestion and than I stop, promise: Do you think the rv owner wound have been welling to accept a smaller offer?

Will you be renting by yourself or your aunt will be moving with you?

Hang in there, we're here for you. :heart:

Nicole

RV-Hopeful said:
Well, the bank called and suddenly they'll loan 5K less than previously approved for, so I said never mind. Called the seller and told them and now I'm looking for an apartment.  Sooo, I'm still RV Hopeful ...  :( a year down the road.

This'll give me time to pay off my dental stuff and start putting away $$ for the future.

Thanks for all of the wonderful input and helpful information and all the caring, etc.
So, you are disappointed, now. But once you get your debt paid off and some more money saved, you will be in an even better position to do what you want with few pressures from money issues. It's not all bad. It just has to happen a little later.

ilovemyvan said:
RV-Hopeful is still a beautiful username. You are right, things happen for a reason. I second the "stay around" and the "vandwelling is a state of mind". One last suggestion and than I stop, promise: Do you think the rv owner wound have been welling to accept a smaller offer?

Will you be renting by yourself or your aunt will be moving with you?

Hang in there, we're here for you.  :heart:

Nicole
I don't think the owners would have taken a $5K hit on the RV so I didn't offer and I had a friend offer to loan me the $5K, but that just creates more debt, so I'm just gona keep looking.

Just myself renting which is what I've wanted for some time ... Auntie and her finance are off to do their thing.  I'll be looking into low income senior housing.  Man they have a waiting list.  If I were healthier I'd do the van conv thing, but I just don't have it in me.  I know others have with probably more issues than I have ... but I don't have anyone to help me with the heavy lifting as it were ... anyway, as I said it'll all work out.  Thankfully, I've always landed on my feet so I expect I'll do so again. Thanks for the well wishes!

And you know what really pisses me off? All the "sighs" of relief from most family and friends! That just totally blew my mind! All worried that it all happened too fast or worried about me (63 y/o woman with issues) driving around by myself! I mean really ... urg ... well, I'm still on the hunt and I'm gona get this done one way or another!

RV-Hopeful said:
And you know what really pisses me off? All the "sighs" of relief from most family and friends!  That just totally blew my mind! All worried that it all happened too fast or worried about me (63 y/o woman with issues) driving around by myself!  I mean really ... urg ... well, I'm still on the hunt and I'm gona get this done one way or another!

That is frustrating, at what point did we become so helpless in societies/families/friends eyes?  I've got some issues too, but I'm still a capable adult human being.

Queen said:
That is frustrating, at what point did we become so helpless in societies/families/friends eyes?  I've got some issues too, but I'm still a capable adult human being.
oh so true!  My son, in Florida was all "I'm coming out there and help drive you back, no way is my mom going to drive across country in an rv by herself" (my brain exploded with one!) ... I told him, hey ... you know not too long ago I drove a 28' truck towing the car on a flatbed ... I did this twice in 3 months! of course that was 11 years ago, but it's something you don't lose.  Anyway, this is a rant for another topic I guess.

RV-Hopeful said:
I don't think the owners would have taken a $5K hit on the RV so I didn't offer.

Wait....

you didn't ASK??!!!

What's it hurt to ask?? They 'may' actually say YES!!

In this market, if you've got an interested party on something you're trying to sell, and your potential buyer suddenly hits a rough spot, and explains it to you so that you understand that they have 5K less to work with...you may just take it anyway.

It NEVER hurts to ASK!!
(the worst thing they'll say is 'no'!)

Patrick46 said:
It NEVER hurts to ASK!!
(the worst thing they'll say is 'no'!)
Well, Patrick, I was just having this same conversation with myself ... 

It's hard to let it go, so I'll see how low they'll come because I know for a fact they had it for sale last year too. And the other thing is, I having a hard time justifying paying "rent" when I could be paying toward a wheeled home ...

Take a little time and rethink your options. I can imagine your disappointment. Hoping for the best possible outcome for you however this deal works out. I see prices really falling and they should dip again pretty soon when the individuals and dealers realize that anyone that wanted one for the summer has already did their shopping. All my best to you!

I texted them asking "if I could get the bank to go to 18k would they take it." We'll see ... a shorter one would probably be better, but I have confidence this one is mechanically sound. Turning over to God now, again ...and again.