Cell Hotspot Port Forwarding Trouble

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B and C

Reaction score
I know this is not a technical help forum but thought I would ask here first as it is more likely someone here has done something similar.

I have put together a Raspberry pi to act as an Emby media server for the van.  It works just fine here at the S&B (sticks and bricks) but I can't get remote access to it to work through a cell carrier.  I have set up the same port forwarding rules in the jetpack that I have here at the S&B.  I even put it in the DMZ to no avail.

Anyone here doing any port forwarding or DMZ stuff through a cellular carrier?

I don't think it is possible to forward ports on cellular network. At least I've never heard of a network that allows it for technical or other reasons.

First, as you migrate from tower to tower you are not garanteed a permanent IP address.

Second, there are network level limitation:
In the past, during IPv4 era, they used multiple levels of private network segments preventing direct port forwarding (DMZ, uPNP etc).
Nowadays, majority of 4G networks use IPv6 that theoretically could allow port forwarding but I am yet to hear about successful attempts.

If you find a solution, let us know. It might be an interest to many people on the road.

I had a raspberry pie once but I ate it. When I went to school many years ago the tried to teach me pie are square but I know better pie are round, cakes can be square. Sorry I am not a tech guy and had to have some fun. The only reason I know what a raspberry pie is that I have 3 pro geeks in the family.

After a lot more digging, cellular networks are not giving true internet addresses but are using NAT so they have more addresses. No good to port forward through the second NAT in the router if the first NAT cannot be port forwarded. :(

Verizon for a one time $500 charge will assign a static IP that the router will be able to control. I don't need it bad enough for that.

I know some ipv4 stuff, ipv6 looks like a nightmare. Maybe someone with ipv6 know how could do it. I can see the router picks up a ipv6 address, I just don't have a clue what to do with it.

Well, as they say, back to the drawing board.

Just a headsup. If you have a Straight talk plan or thinking of getting one. They now offer 10 gigs of data with their ultimate plan which still cost only 55$ a month! Plus right now you can get the first three months for 50$ instead of 55$ then it goes to 55$ a month. HoboJoe

Visible on the verizon network and unlimited data, $25 a month on a party plan. Way cheaper and better.

edit to add: only one device can be tethered to the phone for data usage unless that phone is an iphone.

billybob200138 said:
Just a headsup. If you have a Straight talk plan or thinking of getting one. They now offer 10 gigs of data with their ultimate plan which still cost only 55$ a month! Plus right now you can get the first three months for 50$ instead of 55$ then it goes to 55$ a month. HoboJoe
Please tell me a little more? Interested. HJ

There are several threads about visible already that can explain it more thoroughly. Search for visible in the forums. You will be reading for awhile :)

I did change my earlier stance because visible is (was) not throttling and is unlimited. If I am in an area where visible will work, I will use it instead of my verizon or AT&T hotspots.

I love to camp in Idaho. There are a lot of remote places that have only one tower within miles. Some of these are private? operators and either verizon or AT&T has made a deal to use their towers (roaming) which visible (and straight talk) will not do. My most favorite place only has verizon and at that I have to use the booster and a directional antenna to get it. If you stay near major roadways or towns, you probably won't have much trouble with the prepaid stuff. I just like having an arsenal at my disposal as I like remote. That is also why I have a class B and not an A or a C. No trailer either.

K I'm just going to say this because I don't know. What's the difference between having this port and using your phone as a Hotspot and connecting that way?

Visible sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that.

But, Wondering if Straight Talk plans vary from area to area. Here in VT I've had Straight Talk for at least 4 years. First 2 years I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 and this year I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S9. Aint paying No G for No phone. Anywho I've had the $55 plan the entire time which originally was the $45 plan before they changed it. This was the only plan to chose from in the beginning that would work with these particular phones. But now...

I talked with a ST Rep last week there are 3 plans available $35 Unlimited Talk & Text with 3 Gigs of Data, $45 Unlimited Talk & Text with 10 Gigs of Data, and $55 Unlimited Talk & Text with Unlimited Data. I've had the S9 for the past year and I have put that data plan to the test many months I've used well over 50 gigs of Data. Perhaps I'm not throttled because I live in the middle of nowhere currently. But thought I'd share my experience with that since it was brought up. That and here at least the $55 plan ends up being closer to $60 after they tax you even with autopay.

Using my phone as a hotspot or my jetpack is the same, it provides access to the internet. A port is kinda like a highway you can build to go to only one place at the destination and inside the internet signal. Without a port, the signal doesn't know where to go. Webpages on the internet are using port 80 or 443 for the secure connections. They are there even if you don't see them. I don't know enough to teach a class but I do know enough that I can do research to get things to work the way I want (not always as in this case). If I was willing to spend the $$$, I could get it to work.

Phone and data plans change all the time. Data is getting cheaper. Visibles plan sounds very similar to what you are using now if it isn't the same and at half the price. Straight talk is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) just like visible. If you are not traveling and the mvno works where you are, I would sure look at getting a cheaper prepaid plan.

Just remembered, straight talk has two carriers, at&t and verizon. IIRC, the orange box was at&t and the blue box was verison. Before you go jumping ship, make sure what network you are on and what network any new prospective mvno is on especially if you are close to only one tower.