CCL reciprocity between states

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
DO NOT have your CCW permit visible in your wallet.

I live in NY.  I was pulled over one time by a state trooper, and when I took my wallet out to get my driver's license, my CCW was visible and the cop FREAKED, asked me no less than three times if I was armed, acted like I was the biggest threat since Al Capone.

I have been stopped 3 times since I got my CCW and started carrying 24/7, and each time I said "Hey before we get into the stop, know that I have a valid CCW permit and there is a handgun in the car. How do YOU want me to proceed?" And all 3 times the answer was "Well if you were going to do something stupid you wouldn't have told me you had a gun, so you leave yours where it is and I will leave mine where it is." Then they told me not to drive so fast, chatted about guns for about 5 minutes, and parted ways. Trying to hide that you have a gun, even when you are legal, creates problems. 

You don't see why they want to know if you are armed?

My biggest concern is renewing the license. I am in Ohio and would want to keep my domicile here, but the CCW permit expires every 5 year and has to be renewed in person, and it isn't as simple as walking up to the counter and renewing like a drivers license. They go through the whole background check process again, so it takes 4 to 6 weeks. And I have to do it in the same county. I plan to set up home base in New Mexico, a 24 hour drive away, and I would have to rent a place to live here for the time it takes to get that renewed.

I suppose my inquiry should be made to New Mexico as far as their CCW process. Will I have to take another CCW class so I have a completion certificate from the state where I am applying for a license to carry? I really don't want to spend another weekend in a class, though I would if I absolutely had to. I would hope, and this is what I will have to check, is that holding a CCW from another state qualifies that I had a CCW class, even though it was in another state. Ideally I would like to get set up out there in the RV and never look back to Ohio again until my executor gets my ashes....

Anybody have any light to shed on this aspect of legal gun ownership and carry in New Mexico?

eddie1261 said:
Anybody have any light to shed on this aspect of legal gun ownership and carry in New Mexico?

Open carry is legal in New Mexico without any permit needed. While operating a motor vehicle, the loaded gun is legal while visibly sitting on the seat beside you, but not if you hide it under the seat or in the glovebox, UNLESS you have a New Mexico CHL or one from a reciprocal state. There are conflicting views of this last part, (concealment within a vehicle) but in general, most NMSP officers will not ask or search unless they have a valid reason, or some other reason to search the vehicle.

New Mexico CHL permits are not issued to non-residents unless you are active military stationed there.

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Mexico

In Michigan, you are required to tell the officer you have a CPL IMMEDIATELY and if you have a weapon with you. I have been stopped two times in the past 15 years or so. I was always treated courteously, but always made sure my hands were clearly visible gripping the 12 o’clock position of the steering wheel while he was approaching my car.

speedhighway46 said:
In Michigan, you are required to tell the officer you have a CPL IMMEDIATELY and if you have a weapon with you. I have been stopped two times in the past 15 years or so. I was always treated courteously, but always made sure my hands were clearly visible gripping the 12 o’clock position of the steering wheel while he was approaching my car.

I believe that stops end up completely based on the attitude of the person getting stopped. What you described and what I described is the way you walk away from a police interaction unscathed. The people of my older generation were raised in an era where respect was normal. This punk generation we have now that for some reason thinks they are going to fight with cops, and that the law applies to everybody else but them and who all seem to have that "Ain' no cop gon' tell ME what to do" attitude... Well, yeah they are, and you will likely end up either locked in a jail cell or dead on the street by your car depending on how much you choose to resist. If you have drugs in the car, outstanding warrants....  You are guilty. You created your own problem. Man up and resolve it.  Innocent people have nothing to fear. My entire police record is speeding tickets spanning 50 years of driving. 

In this society, only a fool would RV alone with no protection. Particularly when we go into towns we know nothing about. Remember that the criminal element knows RVs stop at Walmarts a lot. If a crew comes up and surrounds your RV, you better have protection AND not be afraid to use it.

As far as I can find online, New Mexico has no 'duty to inform' when detained such as during a traffic stop.

Texas DOES have a 'duty to inform' law, BUT....the penalty for not informing has been removed from the laws.

Travelmonkey said:
In CA, they don't define the container.  It can be the trunk of a car, a gun rug (those triangle shaped canvas gun cases) that can be locked, etc...  The ammo can be in the container (and in a magazine) but the mag must not be in the gun.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

I live about 6 miles from the California border, (in Nevada). I was just in my local gun shop and was told in California ammo is not allowed in any type of quick load device including magazines and moon clips.

Here is a handy web site for CCW recip laws.   http://www.handgunlaw.us/
on the map click on your State and it will show you States that will honor your CCW. If you click on a different state it will also show you who honors their non resident permits. I am in Nevada, but can get a non resident Utah permit. This adds the States of Washington and Georgia to places that I can carry. Washington and Georgia do not recognize the Nevada permit, but they do recognize the Utah non resident permit. Kinda dumb ehhh? My renewal class is on the 11th of this month. The instructor is certified in Utah as well as Nevada, so I just have to send a form and money to Utah to get their non resident permit.
looking again I also pick up Delaware with the Utah permit. I am not goint to the East Coast soon if ever, so Washington is the main attraction for me.

DannyB1954 said:
I live about 6 miles from the California border, (in Nevada). I was just in my local gun shop and was told in California ammo is not allowed in any type of quick load device including magazines and moon clips.
calguns.net is a good website to double check or get clarification on questions on CA gun laws.  I did a quick and there is a post as recent as 9/2017 that confirms the unloaded in locked container.  Not consider loaded unless the magazine is in the handgun and/or one in the chamber.