CCL reciprocity between states

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
Most of you who carry already know this, but it was news to me regarding the number of states that offer handgun licensing reciprocity with other states.

Michigan is #1, with reciprocity with 40 other states.  http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-46849_47203-266310--,00.html

Idaho reciprocates with 34 states (and cheap: $20 w/ $10 renewals)

Arizona reciprocates with 38 states if you're an AZ resident, 31 if you're not.  Still good!

Texas honors 31 non-resident permits.

Utah, also 31.

Florida, "nearly 40" for residents, 30 for non-residents.

"Five Best Licenses For Concealed Carry Reciprocity":  http://gunbelts.com/blog/concealed-carry-reciprocity/

I have my map and my list. Wyoming residents don't need a CCP to CC but I figured it made sense to get one for reciprocity. West coast, Illinois and NE states are the only ones not recognizing a WY CC permit. We have reciprocity with 36 at my count.

TrainChaser said:
"Five Best Licenses For Concealed Carry Reciprocity":  http://gunbelts.com/blog/concealed-carry-reciprocity/

TC, thanks so much for this info!

Once I've left CA, there are decisions as to domicile, state residence, & CC to consider.  Factor in cost
of RV registration, permit fees, income & property taxes, & the choice of where to begin life anew & it
gets complex. 

confused.gif
  Charlotte

When I leave CA, I'll factor in a CC permit, too. It is not the most important thing on the list but it is something I'll consider. I'm glad you made your post as I thought I was the only one...

Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont allow anyone to carry.....both residents and non residents. Sadly, you must pass through New York and lots of times Connecticut and Massachusetts as well and all three aren't gun friendly states unfortunately. It's a shame three great states got boxed in.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont allow anyone to carry.....both residents and non residents.  Sadly, you must pass through New York and lots of times Connecticut and Massachusetts as well and all three aren't gun friendly states unfortunately.  It's a shame three great states got boxed in.
Dont let them intimidate you little guys here. Hold strong. And if passing through NY...don't make eye connect with the troopers :D

Ill be getting my Utah and Florida non residents before I leave

A friend sent me an e-mail that said (among other things) that Iceland has one of the largest gun ownership rates in the world, and yet has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Anti-gun nuts should think about that for a few months.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont allow anyone to carry.....both residents and non residents.  Sadly, you must pass through New York and lots of times Connecticut and Massachusetts as well and all three aren't gun friendly states unfortunately.  It's a shame three great states got boxed in.

There is the travel-through law if you don't stop or park, except for gas. I keep a lock box also, just in case. Of course I have a trailer so most of my firearms are in there...the shotgun just doesn't fit well under a tank top!!

DuneElliot said:
...of course I have a trailer so most of my firearms are in there...the shotgun just doesn't fit well under a tank top!!
LMAO!  Thanks for that line...
By he way, is the lockbox you refer to a legal designation?  This notion of traveling with firearms is complicated.
confused.gif

Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
LMAO!  Thanks for that line...
By he way, is the lockbox you refer to a legal designation?  This notion of traveling with firearms is complicated.
confused.gif

Charlotte

It is a requirement in some states to have gun locked up and ammo separate...even when just traveling through. I hate to have to do it and will avoid those states to a point, but eventually I'll be traveling through or into some of them. Most of them are in the north east.

DuneElliot said:
It is a requirement in some states to have gun locked up and ammo separate...even when just traveling through.  ...Most of them are in the north east.

Lucky for me, I've no plans for the north east.  Another question:  Does "locked up" mean inside a gun safe, or
will a trigger lock for each firearm qualify?  Don't tell me---this issue is state by state...

Pulling my hair out
confused.gif

Charlotte

Actually, most of the time, driving through a 'gun-unfriendly' state shouldn't be too much of an issue if you don't draw attention to yourself by driving like an idiot or flipping cops the bird. Common sense goes a long way in eliminating problems like that.

TrainChaser said:
Actually, most of the time, driving through a 'gun-unfriendly' state shouldn't be too  much of an issue if you don't draw attention to yourself by driving like an idiot or flipping cops the bird.  Common sense goes a long way in eliminating problems like that.

DO NOT have your CCW permit visible in your wallet.

I live in NY.  I was pulled over one time by a state trooper, and when I took my wallet out to get my driver's license, my CCW was visible and the cop FREAKED, asked me no less than three times if I was armed, acted like I was the biggest threat since Al Capone.

Charlotte\ said:
Lucky for me, I've no plans for the north east.  Another question:  Does "locked up" mean inside a gun safe, or
will a trigger lock for each firearm qualify?  Don't tell me---this issue is state by state...

Pulling my hair out
confused.gif

Charlotte

Usually in a locked box for those states that require it. I just put a padlock on the case my gun came it...that makes it legal in pretty much every state a handgun is legal in. Of course, each states ownership laws vary sl what is legal to own in Wyoming isn't legal in California! I always call ahead to check each states gun laws before going there...most are fairly okay

I have been told that if you lock it in a FAA approved airline transportation case you are good. mind you this is what I was told for California. of course keep the ammo separate. highdesertranger

Since the laws are subject to change, I keep these apps on my phone and look up where I'm going. CCW, and Legal Heat.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
I have been told that if you lock it in a FAA approved airline transportation case you are good.  mind you this is what I was told for California.  of course keep the ammo separate.  highdesertranger

In CA, they don't define the container.  It can be the trunk of a car, a gun rug (those triangle shaped canvas gun cases) that can be locked, etc...  The ammo can be in the container (and in a magazine) but the mag must not be in the gun.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Download a copy of the FIREARM OWNERS PROTECTION ACT, federal law, which spells out the requirements for traveling through gun-hostile states. Follow the requirements and keep the printout.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk