CB Radio......useful?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speedhighway46 said:
Or just say:

73 K7EED SK

PS: Great callsign!

I thought if I ever wanted to get into CW, (Morse Code), I wanted the shortest identifier possible. Besides when I say it I kind of like the way echo echo sounds. If K7eee was available it would have been mine! For others info that would have been said Kilo seven echo echo echo. The E is the shortest symbol in Morse code. It is a period or dot.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FAA_Phonetic_and_Morse_Chart2.svg

There are only two sounds so in Morse Code: the dit (not dot) and the dah (not dash).

So, written, 73 K7EED SK

Best wishes from station K7EED and shutting down

Morese Code is very efficient and uses lots of special abbreviations. In addition, Morse Code, or more correctly CW (for continuous wave) can get messages through during poor atmospheric conditions when voice and digital modes cannot. It is a fun form of operating and requires lots of practice to become proficient.

However, learning Morse Code is no longer required to earn an Amateur Radio license.

From K8SG CRVL
-.. . -.- ---.. ... --. -.-. .-. ...- .-..

instead of further derailing this thread, I am going to start a new thread on amateur radio. I hope all of you guys comment on it. highdesertranger

speedhighway46 said:
CRVLers:

Compassrose has pretty much nailed it as far as CBs are concerned. I have one in my motor home and can count on one hand the number of times I have used it in the past few years. Stil, they are cheap and having one is better than not having one; it may be the one thing that saves you one day. Go to a truck stop, TA or Pilot, and buy a new one. They are pretty cheap. Also, get a magnet mouth antenna and stick it on your roof; that's all you'll need so don't let them talk you into anything more.

I'd also like to put a plug for Amateur Radio. Yes, you do need  a license and pass a test but it's pretty easy and the questions on the test are all published so you know what they are. Then get a radio that operates on the two meter band (146-147 MHz). The national listening frequency is 146.52; have a problem? Go there and ask for help and there is a good chance someone will hear you and lend a hand. For more information Google ARRL and go to their website; it's the national organization for "ham" radio operators and they will gladly help you out. The radio in my motor home is always on and always set to 146.52! Having to pass the test to get a license serves as a pretty good "riff-raff" filter; folks in ham radio are generally helpful and you can make lifelong friends; just like here!

Hope this helps.
Oh, I've just spent way too long drooling over the pix of your build. Just lovely. Hope I run onto you, someday, and can have a tour. And thanks for the input on the CB. I've been wondering about that, too.

I'll agree with much of what's been said previously here. I have a Tech license, and have a stealth-mounted Yaesu 7900 in my HHR. As a retired trucker, I'm quite familiar with CB use, though after a few years, I got past my ratchet mouth phase.
Driving from place to place alone, you may not get much use out of it, but if you're convoying with anyone, especially any of the majority who aren't hams, it's a great way to communicate between vehicles. Also works great in camp. Just pick a channel that isn't busy (easy to do these days) and stay off of 19 or 9 (for general chatter) and it can be a great tool.

If you're traveling with other hams, then I still might use the CB for light chatter, as I'm not a fan of arbitrary rules and really do like my privacy (lots of info can be found about you from your ham call sign), but I do like what I can do with 'em, and it's also necessary if you're wanting to get into the more capable UAV technology.

With CBs, you can get a model with sideband access... I've also found that to be a good riffraff filter, as most of the trash-talking motormouths I've known can only access the standard 40 channels. There are exceptions, but hey...

Stay off channel 19 unless you want to hear truck driver endless swearing, horrible racial comments and radio rambos wanting to pick fights. Channel 9 is the emergency channel and once in a great while the highway patrol will listen in. I'd suggest finding a channel far away from 19 and everyone agree to run with that in your pack. A lot of shippers/receivers use the low channels to let a truck driver know their loading/unloading dock is ready for them. If you travel on I-75 in Kentucky you'll hear the various fuel stop/restaurants advertising their fuel prices and menus including nanner nanner nanner nanner puddin. CB means Citizen's Band but for some reason there are those that believe it means Commercial Band. Speaking of commercial... umm.. commercial company is women you "rent" by the hour. They have other names but in the trucking world commercial company is often advertised on the CB. And NEVER NEVER NEVER use the term Good Buddy... unless of course you are a fella that is looking for another fella to share a moment with. Think Broke Back Mountain... A stock CB radio will only get out about 5 miles or there abouts so unless you got a big kicker or you're getting skip that is about as far as you can effectively communicate.

Commercial Company, lot lizard, sleeper leaper, horizontal hostess... and so on. :D

Communicable microorganism delivery system.

Most definitely CB radios are great to have. If you get stuck somewhere a CB can really save your bum. Its also cool to chat with others on the road.

Latest posts