Caution for RV Owners Using Lithium Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully you have a heavy duty alternator for that E350.

May I suggest a DC - DC Charger? It isolates the batteries to prevent drain from different voltages and limits the draw from an alternator. Heavy alternator draw will kill the internal regulator, causing a failure.

I think this is a little bit too much hysteria. Lithium batteries are not inherently more dangerous than any other type.
Newer LiFePo4 are safer than previous generations of Li-Ion formulations.
Battery management systems are getting better, and using an MPPT charger means there is a charging profile for chemistry type. So it won't over volt or over amp.
The real areas for caution are being sure your cables are large enough guage to handle the amperage you are pulling. And making sure your cable lugs are crimped on correctly, and ideally, sealed watertight with heat shrink or marine lugs.

It sounds like a lot of fear mongering to me. This guy owns an electric company, he's done installations, but that doesn't mean he's a chemist. If lithium batteries were such a huge problem Tesla wouldn't still be selling cars.

Improper setups, improper equipment, and other human caused errors will always be there regardless of battery chemistry.

So my lifepo4 bank is dangerous ....whoa man. I got to go back in tech time and use crummy old AGM now. I'm SO scared the BMS isn't going to protect if I somehow manage to go over 1000amps at 12v dc. Might as well just install FLA that outgas when charging and or AGM that has crappy voltage sag and doesn't last and but better to not die in a fire /s. Guys lithium is just as safe if not safer than AGM or any lead acid battery. People will do garbage installs on either and harm themselves. Lead acid explodes all the time in cars. We all carry lithium batteries in our pockets now inside our phones. This is just fearmongering

Maybe you remember testing a little 9vt battery for your transistor radio by touching it to your tongue? I recommend not touching your tongue to your new 200ah 12 volt lifepo4 battery to see if it's good. Be safe, camp happy. Why should my magic dust for my blackwater tank be the only Happy Camper. RTFM

Maybe you remember testing a little 9vt battery for your transistor radio by touching it to your tongue? I recommend not touching your tongue to your new 200ah 12 volt lifepo4 battery to see if it's good.
Definitely be fun to watch. Wonder if eyes light up and smoke would come out of the ears?

This reminds me of a boat fire that killed 34 people a few months ago. They were suspecting a lithium battery was the suspect, article:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...-fire-Coast-Guard-warns-mariners-14432894.php

After reading your post and now looking back at this article, the fireman are using water to put it out and now I'm wondering if that made things worse for the people on the boat.
From what I read of that accident I think the problem was in the design of the living quarters, no matter what started the fire. A lithium battery may have started the fire but was not the culprit in preventing a fast and effective escape that caused so many deaths.