Cat Harness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmpaden

Reaction score
My two cats are not accustomed to wearing harnesses. Any recommendations for harnesses? Anecdotal sharing of experience?

Thanks
L

Put them on till they get used to them. Buy ones that are very soft and comfy.

I have harness trained both my cats. There was much drama at first; they would flop over on their sides and act like they were dying!

It took a little time but gradually they became used to the feel of it. Now my cats come eagerly if I get out the harnesses and ask if they want to go for a walk.

I tried several but the harnesses I use now are harder for them to get out of. I use retractable leashes. Here's a blog post I made a little while ago: http://www.dawnann.com/blog/leash-training-fun-and-games/

Following......

My stupid cat ("Wilderness Kitty'!) is staying home during my initial fall trip with Van only. Two Doxies and an antique Chihuahua are enough!

I will take her later, if I use RV next time. (Only I'm now realizing... I need more truck to haul it)... ugghhhh. Truck purchase will require an entire life change.. lol argh!

ANYBODY WANT A REAL NICE KITTY??? lol (Hey... I'm jus sayin')

I've seen lots of posts on here in the past about kitty travel... I'm sure more will chime in soon!
Enjoyed blog story!

My two cats preferred those small size, soft, padded mesh dog harness over the little skinny webbing strap cat harnesses. The padded harness has the effect of those "thunder shirt" wrap around things that calm dogs by adding some compression against their chest. But just do realize that for the first few wearings the cats will likely "plant" themselves in one place until they get used to moving around in them. Just let them wear them around for a while before you add the leash training.

Surprisingly my cat will even calmly sit on the grass verge right next to a busy sidewalk with people passing him when wearing it. But if off leash he would want to run and hide if strangers were around. It really does comfort him and make him feel secure. Without the mesh harness he won't even go near to where there is traffic with passing cars, with it when I have him on a leash the traffic does not bother him. I never could get him leash trained with those skinny web harnesses.

I did re-home my cats before I went full time. Two cats in a tiny travel trailer just was not going to work well for me as I also need space to work on projects that I sell. Not enough space to do it all or have it all including a cat box for them and a toilet for me. I miss them but they have a great new home, lots of space to play in and they are still happily living with each other.

Thanks for yoy info. I'd love to rehome my two but I'm afraid my adult kids would take issue. Two have pets already and the other two need to grow up more before accepting such a responsibility.

Thanks again.
lucille

Of course the best way to introduce cats to harnesses is when they're tiny.

The harness impacts the cat.  We started my cat on the smallest strap-style harness you can get at any pet store.  It became the signal that we were going outside to tackle the world together.  To this day, little buddy (now 4 years old) purrs whenever we start getting him dressed.  Even though it's not his favorite thing to wear, he knows we're going on a hunt. 

In his early adolescence we transitioned to the standard, velcro-only walking jacket from Hyendry.com.  It's much more comfortable for him, looks great on him, and is now his default harness.  It's still lightweight and doesn't inhibit him much, but I believe the fact that this 'walking jacket' is larger and covers his back a little (as opposed to the strap only harness) is a constant reminder that I'm present and in control.

I also picked up a second harness from Hyendry, this one with the "double lock" feature. which is a thick, nylon adjustable 'belt' sewn into the harness (as seen in this photo).  When he wears this harness, he feels like he's wearing a straight jacket.  As long as the straps are adjusted right, he can move around no problem, but he knows he's wearing something heavier, senses the security of it, and he is more constrained especially the tighter the straps are.  Sometimes I use this harness when we're in a new place, when there are going to be lots of distractions, or if I just want added peace of mind.

I have a 6 yr old cat. He has a chip and all paws have nails. I am now training him with the leach. Allowing him to sniff it and letting me click it on his collar. My vet gave me some relaxing pills for him so I can put his harness on. Hes a big cat so it's not easy for me to put the harness on him. Recently, I've been bringing him outdoors into his Fabulous Pet pen. Its fabulous and he loves it. It's very well made for small all small animals needing to be corralled. With my cat, I introduce the items to him slowly and less hype. I know him well enough that I will allow him to tell me when he's ready for each item. He loves his pen outdoors. so I think he'll like the harness and leach.
Best of luck for you and your pet