1988 Dodge B350 Alternator Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zjmorris

Reaction score
While changing my alternator, one of the tabs that connects to the back broke off. The tab comes out of the black plastic box that the battery positive comes out of. The tab that broke is the one where the green wire is. So I only have two connections on that black box now. Is there a simple fix for this or do I need a new wiring harness?

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_231351467.jpg
    IMG_20220819_231351467.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Everything looks hooked up normal. What do you mean by 'tab'? The metal part under the ring terminal where the red insulation is? If you mean the ring terminal the green wire is connected to, then that is easily replaced.

You have disconnected the negative terminal on the battery?

Last edited:
Yes the ring terminal broke off but it's the ring terminal on the big black plastic array, so it would be under the green wire. This is a picture of the old alt before removal (it's the only one I got so I figured it'd help explain).

Take a picture of the harness as it is now to help clarify please. Make sure to show the broken ring.

Yes he ring terminal broke off but it's the ring terminal on the big black plastic array, so it would be under the green wire.
The small added wires (green and black) are there probably because someone has installed a separate, external voltage regulator. If that's the case,it won't matter that the tab on that large connector is broken.

Normally, voltage regulation is done by the PCM (engine computer) on these old Dodges but it's very common for that section to fail and you would get a CEL and an error code #41.

There is a company that sells kits to add a voltage regulator:

https://store.alternatorparts.com/h...MIvNWwqvbb-QIVA8LCBB0uLgbXEAQYASABEgLkfPD_BwE
Are you still driving it? Is the battery being charged?

Last edited:
Battery not being charged without that connector. Now the other tab broke. Here is a picture of the part that broke.

Attachments

• IMG_20220823_174624746.jpg
    IMG_20220823_174624746.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
^Not charging with the old alternator? Or the new?

Can you trace back to what the green & black wires are connected to?

See if they connect to something like below. It could be mounted on the firewall or to the left side somewhere:

B250 VR.jpg

Last edited:
I have that part but it seems that the wires go somewhere that's in an opposite direction of the alt. I'm trying to trace them all but it's difficult. They also appear to be a different thickness. The small green and blue ones disappear up under the dash somewhere.

Attachments

• 1661305838457801991038351204471.jpg
    1661305838457801991038351204471.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 16613058849279027747041139555001.jpg
    16613058849279027747041139555001.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Is this a carbed motor or does it have TBI?

Or do you know (for sure) if it's a 318 or a 360? Or a V6?

Pan back and take another pic of that part, to show most of the firewall. Mainly I need to see what the part is to the right of the VR.

Last edited:
Oops. I missed that it's a B350. It would have a carbed 360, no PCM and a separate voltage regulator (the rectangular box on the firewall).

How did you determine that the alternator was bad?

Last edited:
Nice! I'm 'glad' it actually was the alternator because I was thinking the problem may have just been a bad voltage regulator. Much cheaper...

Last edited:
Thanks guys your Intel helped a ton! Right in time for Descend on Bend!

I kinda miss both my '77 B350 Maxi-Van and a '91 B250 I sold 5 years ago.

I needed to work on them a lot so I got pretty familiar with their misc. problems.

^Not charging with the old alternator? Or the new?

Can you trace back to what the green & black wires are connected to?

See if they connect to something like below. It could be mounted on the firewall or to the left side somewhere:

View attachment 32628
And those series voltage regulators are directly in the 'drip-zone' at the rear of the hood.
A horridly-awful place to mount an electronic gadget.
The potential for corrosion is 100% guaranteed.
Almost as worse as the connectors inside the Dodge tranny laying in the trans fluid [slowly shakes head in dismay].