Cat a dog and a van - windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catmomtoo

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]QUESTION:  What would you seasoned builders think about enclosing one or both back SIDE windows on this ole' passenger van? Maybe even something that is removable?[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]WHY: It'd give me more space to build taller and black out my sleeping area. (Watched another one of Bob's videos and he said something like build as tall as you comfortably can...) 

ISSUE:  I'm in Portland and moisture and condensation is of course an issue. 

I'll take all thoughts, modifications and suggestions. As always, thanks in advance to all you wonderfully creative people.[/font]

Attachments

• back right.jpg
    back right.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 7
By enclosing, do you mean removing the window(s) and building a box?

I plan on trying out using polyiso boards or something similar.. cut into the shape of my windows and attached with clips. That way I can remove during the day and put up at night for privacy or when its cold. I will make the street side panels black and will look fine with the already tinted windows.

Of course I wont be building up the sides as I dont have a high top like yourself. But I dont see why you couldnt use  board insulation  and then a thin sheet of luan or something over it for a more permanent wall.

slow2day said:
By enclosing, do you mean removing the window(s) and building a box?
Well, leave the windows in.  Cover up the window with something like a shelving unit. But how to battle the moisture control??

desert_sailing said:
I plan on trying out using polyiso boards or something similar.. cut into the shape of my windows and attached with clips. That way I can remove during the day and put up at night for privacy or when its cold. I will make the street side panels black and will look fine with the already tinted windows.

Of course I wont be building up the sides as I dont have a high top like yourself. But I dont see why you couldnt use  board insulation  and then a thin sheet of luan or something over it for a more permanent wall.

Man we are on the same line here.  I have about ten sheets of (FREE from work) the PVC foam boards that copy shops use to make signage out of.  They are moisture resistant.  I was thinking of covering one side with reflectix, and the other side is the white side of the board. Glue on a fabric edge that can help seal around window, using magnets, clips or duct tape(?). 

A board overlay would be good, but will noodle this around. I have kept the original fiberboard on the walls, and struggle with building around this...

I guess if I used something that was removable and checked every season change for mold, it'd be okay. And who knows, I don't plan to live full time during Portland winters. They're just too wet and gloomy.  I'd ultimately be living in Stirbux!    thanks!!

The PVC + Reflectix + fabric wouldn't give much insulation value compared to foam but if you're not going to live in it over winter, then that would be a good way to go.

My van has wooden sills at the bottom of the windows that are about 6" wide and I've thought about extending them out a little more and add some shallow shelving.

I really wish I had walled up my windows in the back. I am gonna ask dude how much cost and engineer it would be to do so. I honestly don't need the extra view and would much prefer the insulation and privacy/security. When parked I would likely have the back and side doors open giving all the daylight I would need. I can leave the windows near the front  open and available.

hmmm..now you got me adding  more to an  already out of cost expense sheet! :thumbsup:

Well, I posted this on FB as well, and having discussions with a guy that has a full shop and has been doing marine builds all his life. So looking at this as a boat issue now... the possibility of using a marine grade filler... ???  And then yes just put shelving or a wall over the top.   I've been doing this project as the money becomes available. Maybe live in it for awhile to see what's most important, and save this for a later day?  thanks!

It is now July and your project is likely completed, but I'll leave this here for what it's worth: Consider the materials in your project and create cool zones.

I bought a '92 GMC/Explorer conversion decked out with velour ceiling, walls, curtains, and front-to-rear shag carpeting. I've never had an issue with condensation. I believe pile textiles do a fantastic job with absorbing moisture, sound, and providing insulation so I will be going green and leaving them in my rebuild. I think smooth wood and laminate textures encourage moisture to condense and bead up. Adding a roof vent could go a long way in managing moisture and heat. Heat is currently a bit of an issue in my van - mostly through the windshield. Half my windows have full tint, but the other half strangely are not. The picture windows are tinted, have shades, and heavy velour curtains - providing great insulation and making it impossible to see into the van.

There isn't much in the body of the OP about pets in vans but the title mentions it. Try to allow pet access under furniture. While I had the conversion-installed sofa bed, I found the expansive mattress buffered the heat and created a great cool zone. I'd stow my stow my water bottles at the back door to keep them room temperature - not tepid. Eventually I want to adopt a cat and I thought it should have access to below furniture to keep comfortable.