Carpet and Upholstery Replacements

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iplayguitarintheshower

Reaction score
Hey All,

Long time lurker, new poster.

I have a 94 gmc g2500 vandura van that has nasty carpet along with some torn grey leather seats with vinyl wrapping. I was quoted $1350 to replace the entire carpet and swap out the bad leather spots on my captains chairs with Vinyl look-alike material so I could save my seats.

However, $1350 is out of my budget.

I have a few questions if you guys can help, i would appreciate it!

1. Is there a preferred place to order replacement carpet mold kits from? Ive seen several out there on google and they all vary widely from either specific fits, shipping costs, and colors available. I have the 125'' wheelbase model.

2. how hard is it to replace the actual carpet? I know ill need to remove the seats and disconnect wires for power seats and all, but its the securing pieces that worry me...the carpet is locked under metal guards in the door jams, sits underneath wood side panneling along the floor boards...how hard is this typically to work around?

3. Tools needed for the carpet replacement? Nailgun? Carpet sheers?

4. Good place to find either replacement seats (besides pick n pull as my area is tapped out) or fitted seat covers that aren't poo quality...If i do seat covers, Id prefer something fitted (or made to fit) so it looks like it belongs.

Any help is really appreciated!

Let me first state clearly that I am no help whatsoever on your questions. :(

Then let me say you may have the longest handle on the forum and certainly one of the most ... curious ones? OOOOHHHHHH.... for the acoustics with no water?

yep I am not going to even try to spell that out. if you are talking factory type replacement carpet. it's fairly easy. first you must remove seats and anything else bolted to the floor. then all the trim around the edges. then just pull all the old carpet out and lay the new stuff in. factory type replacement carpet will have all the moldings and hems ready to go. then reinstall the side moldings and seats. an awl helps you find the holes. also an clean and easy way to make large holes for the seat bolts and seat belt bolts, is to put the awl though the hole then heat up a bolt with a torch or even a camp stove. heat the bolt up good and hot then pull the awl and burn a hole with the bolt. this leaves a nice clean hole and seal the carpet so it won't fray or run.
when you do this job it's a good time to check your metal floor for rust pots and address them. it is also a good time to check your insulation a good replacement is Ensolite closed cell foam. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL forums guitarplayer!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

before you buy new take the old carpet hang it on a fence get abottle of carpet cleaner and a bottle of good dish soap and a watterhose and see what hapens. I did one and everybody thought I had replaced it with new.

Oh man, the old carpet is dis-gus-ting! There are holes and tears too =\

New carpet is mandatory at this point unfortunately, but good tip nonetheless!

If you can't get factory replacement carpet can you wash the old and use it for a pattern to cut fresh?

dhawktx said:
If you can't get factory replacement carpet can you wash the old and use it for a pattern to cut fresh?

In cutting roll carpet to fit, put the new carpet face down on a clean surface that will not be damaged by a blade. 

put the old carpet over it also face down.

outline with a sharpie or laundry marker. 

cut carefully with a sharp carpet knife.  

It is much easier to buy a ready made kit.

"It is much easier to buy a ready made kit" GotSmart is right, especially if you get molded carpet for contours. highdesertranger