Carla's Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... same finger. Just be glad it wasn’t a table saw.

We all have our comfort zones when it comes to using tools. You can learn to use a mandolin slicer safely but I understand if getting hurt when using one makes you want to never try using one again. After all it is not actually an essential tool in the same way that a very sharp knife is.

Of course some adults should not be trusted with any sharp tools, they just do not have the mental focus for such tasks. You can’t be someone who is easily distracted or has lots of wandering thoughts when using very sharp tools or you will get hurt. Keeping your fingers out of harms way takes focus.
Thanks Maki, I think I am one of those who shouldn't use sharp tools. I do ok with a sharp knife. Don't trust myself with a mandolin. I bought a sharp folding knife a year ago... my first. Did well with that. Also bought some nice kitchen knives. Chef's knives.

But my mind does wander ... so no more mandolins. I'm ok with that.

Thanks Maki, I think I am one of those who shouldn't use sharp tools. I do ok with a sharp knife. Don't trust myself with a mandolin. I bought a sharp folding knife a year ago... my first. Did well with that. Also bought some nice kitchen knives. Chef's knives.

But my mind does wander ... so no more mandolins. I'm ok with that.
Repetitive task can lead to minds wandering. Fortunately I was always pretty good with staying focused when using tools as that was what I did for work. 🤣 Actually I still work with sharp tools including knives but on a much smaller scale as shown with a hobby knife blade.
IMG_0170.jpegIMG_1260.jpeg

I used X-acto knives often as an art major, but for the life of me I can't remember what for. Probably cleaning up corners on mats when framing prints.

I think my older brother used them when making model airplanes out of balsa wood.

That's a special photo to have. Not everyone has old photos of themselves at work. Especially in a factory setting.

That same brother made his career in aeronautics. Corporations and the military flew him all over if there was trouble with a corporate jet or if there was a plane or helicopter crash.

I'm mostly mad (and disappointed) at myself because it was 3:30AM and I thought about going to sleep, but decided to surprise my daughter with scalloped potatoes in the morning. I had bought so many groceries for Christmas and didn't get everything cooked. So I didn't want the food to go to waste. <<< That's from my dad growing up during the Great Depression;)

At the hospital everyone kept asking why I was cooking at 3:30 Am. Like it was suspicious, lol. I'm just different, I guess. Always been a night owl... since I was a teen.

I hope I get to see your buildings when I get to the southwest. Very impressive stuff:)

I have the photo of myself at Boeing because it was published in a company newspaper article about the project I was working on. It was against company rules to take personal photos while on company property so that is the only photo I have of me at work at Boeing.

As to seeing my work when you visit me. I only carry one small, assembled sample of it with me. I make “flat pack, precut kits”. They ship out in an ordinary business sized envelope. The inside of my travel trailer is not decorated the way many women do with their spaces with lots of colorful fun stuff. I used to do that when I owned houses and had some fun collectibles. But my tiny trailer space is less than 10 feet long inside and is too small for that. I need some relatively empty, light reflecting surfaces to rest my vision on so I do not feel claustrophobic.
IMG_0744.jpeg

I have the photo of myself at Boeing because it was published in a company newspaper article about the project I was working on. It was against company rules to take personal photos while on company property so that is the only photo I have of me at work at Boeing.

As to seeing my work when you visit me. I only carry one small, assembled sample of it with me. I make “flat pack, precut kits”. They ship out in an ordinary business sized envelope. The inside of my travel trailer is not decorated the way many women do with their spaces with lots of colorful fun stuff. I used to do that when I owned houses and had some fun collectibles. But my tiny trailer space is less than 10 feet long inside and is too small for that. I need some relatively empty, light reflecting surfaces to rest my vision on so I do not feel claustrophobic.
I love the interior of your trailer. It's a fantastic build.

I bought a popup before buying this trailer and if I ever get working on it I want to have similar inserts in my cabinet door fronts. What is that material called? You told me once before. I need to write it down. From a distance it looks like burlap.

I love the interior of your trailer. It's a fantastic build.

I bought a popup before buying this trailer and if I ever get working on it I want to have similar inserts in my cabinet door fronts. What is that material called? You told me once before. I need to write it down. From a distance it looks like burlap.
It is Phifertex Vinyl Mesh fabric. It is made with stands of fiber with a vinyl coating. It gets used for the seating material on high end outdoor patio furniture. Water can drain through it because of the open weave. But it is dimensionally stable and super strong. Contents inside the cabinet are not going to break the mesh or distort it even if things get slammed around on rough roads. I stapled it to the inside of the doors using wood staples in a staple gun. The strands of mesh are bonded to each other where they cross each other so the weave can’t unravel at the edges. That bonding together of the weave is why it is dimensionally stable and super strong. It is also UV resistant not that it matters all that much for interior doors.

Last edited:
It is Phifertex Vinyl Mesh fabric. It is made with stands of fiber with a vinyl coating. It gets used for the seating material on high end outdoor patio furniture. Water can drain through it because of the open weave. But it is dimensionally stable and super strong. Contents inside the cabinet are not going to break the mesh or distort it even if things get slammed around on rough roads. I stapled it to the inside of the doors using wood staples in a staple gun. The strands of mesh are bonded to each other where they cross each other so the weave can’t unravel at the edges. That bonding together of the weave is why it is dimensionally stable and super strong. It is also UV resistant not that it matters all that much for interior doors.
Wood staples? You are an encyclopedia for builders and crafters. My kids asked how I knew about Kevlar thread:)

Thank you!

Wood staples? You are an encyclopedia for builders and crafters. My kids asked how I knew about Kevlar thread:)

Thank you!
I was definitely wishing I had brought along my electric stapler for that job as it would have been much easier on my hands and a lot faster.

In this photo I had finished cutting and assembling the cabinet doors and just put the last coat of varnish on them. The next step was adding hinges and the Phifertex mesh panels. My screen room tent makes a good workshop space for such work. The adjustable height folding scaffold turned out to be a terrific choice of tables to travel with for finishing up making my new interior cabinets while on the road. IMG_1264.jpeg

I do not use Kevlar thread for outdoor gear. I typically use UV resistant, heavy duty polyester thread. If I was doing commercial work for others I would use PTFE thread instead but it is only available in the large size spools used for commercial sewing and it is very expensive.

Thd issue with Kevlar thread is that it does not stretch and is so strong it can literally cut the fibers of fabrics when they are stretching and flexing such as in windy conditions. It certainly has its uses but it would be a poor choice for the projects I make for my Van life as wind and flexing is frequent for items such as my canvas popup top or a screen room, shade cloth, awnings, cushions to sit on, clothing, etc.

If you are not all that familiar with outdoor canvas work types of projects and the materials and methods visit the website and YouTube channel for the company Sailrite. That will give you a lot of important background knowledge. They sell Phifertex mesh but it cost less from other sources. They are also a great resource for how to make cushion covers, install headliner material, etc.

Last edited:
I do not use Kevlar thread for outdoor gear. I typically use UV resistant, heavy duty polyester thread. If I was doing commercial work for others I would use PTFE thread instead but it is only available in the large size spools used for commercial sewing and it is very expensive.

Thd issue with Kevlar thread is that it does not stretch and is so strong it can literally cut the fibers of fabrics when they are stretching and flexing such as in windy conditions. It certainly has its uses but it would be a poor choice for the projects I make for my Van life as wind and flexing is frequent for items such as my canvas popup top or a screen room, shade cloth, awnings, cushions to sit on, clothing, etc.

If you are not all that familiar with outdoor canvas work types of projects and the materials and methods visit the website and YouTube channel for the company Sailrite. That will give you a lot of important background knowledge. They sell Phifertex mesh but it cost less from other sources. They are also a great resource for how to make cushion covers, install headliner material, etc.
I've been on Sailrite's website pretty often. Once it was to get ideas for a liner for my fiberglass topper on my truck. I think that is why I was there.

That was such smart thinking on the Kevlar thread for the Coleman stove (oops, I meant oven) project!

I think I found the fabric you used at Joann Fabrics:

Phifertex Plus Madras Tweed Terracotta Vinyl Mesh Fabric
Item # 18864363
Discounted Price $54.99

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 00-20-43 Phifertex Plus Madras Tweed Terracotta Vinyl Mesh Fabric JOANN.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 00-20-43 Phifertex Plus Madras Tweed Terracotta Vinyl Mesh Fabric JOANN.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I finally tackled my propane tanks. Got them off to take them to be filled and discovered that both are already full.

So I turned the thermostat to 65 and the furnace blower was blowing cold air. The propane was still turned off. I was about to turn the knobs on outside when the furnace shut off.

Is that normal? For the furnace to shut off because I didn't have the propane tanks turned to on?

Most likely stopped because the thermocouple wasn't sensing heat at the source, if I'm remembering my HVAC correctly. It might be different in an RV setup.

Someone here will have the proper answer I think.

I finally tackled my propane tanks. Got them off to take them to be filled and discovered that both are already full.

So I turned the thermostat to 65 and the furnace blower was blowing cold air. The propane was still turned off. I was about to turn the knobs on outside when the furnace shut off.

Is that normal? For the furnace to shut off because I didn't have the propane tanks turned to on?
It would be a safety precaution as well as trying to save electricity. The propane burner needs some electricity just to start the flame, but if the flame doesn’t start then there is an indication that something is wrong, often with the propane regulator.

If I recall correctly, you have the manuals. I would double check the sequence.

Since the system has power, you probably need to open up the propane, then turn the thermostat to heat. As a precaution, leave the door open for circulation until you can verify everything is working properly.

The ones Ive messed with had what was called a sail switch. The fan comes on first to disperse any possible leaked propane before the igniter will fire. The fan will run a minute or two or whatever before it ignites. The fan moves the sail switch, if it doesnt move it (meaning the fan isnt running to clear any possible propane), the igniter wont work in any event, but with no propane, no, it wont run if it doesnt ignite after the preliminary start-up procedure doesnt complete. Theres probably also a pressure valve in the furnace control valve that shuts it all down if no propane pressure.

Thats how they worked 20 years ago anyway..... Probably some variation on that unless its a 20 year old rig and furnace.

If it hasnt run in a while it may take a couple start up sequences before the air is out and the line is filled with propane, then it should ignite and fire. the igniter sounds like clicking sounds. You may be able to speed that up by getting a stove burner to light first, that will ensure propane is going through the line and air bled out.

When Im away from my cabin a while it takes a minute or two or three to get my stove and water heater to light.

Last edited:
Carla you may need to 'purge' the propane lines, to remove the air trapped in them.

Assuming your cookstove is adjacent to (or close to) the furnace, they probably share a propane line.

If so, you can purge the line by lighting one of the stove burners and letting it burn for a few minutes after the flame stabilizes.

Then try turning on the furnace again.

The ancient NG furnace in my house has a few simple safeguards to make sure it doesn't blow up the house or start a fire. Though I've never tried to run it with the NG valve closed, I'm pretty sure the lack of flame would be something that would make it turn off.

Have you tried it with the tanks on yet?