Cargo van or passenger van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
If i were getting, say, a used Ford E-150, I'm not whether I would want to get a bare cargo can or a van that once held passengers. On the one hand, DIY-ers seem to leap at the opportunity to make the empty space into their dream home. But I'm not a DIY-er, and the extra fit and finish on the passenger versions would offer a nicer-looking interior un-modded; I'd just have to remove the rear seating. Plus, I don't see myself being handy enough to apply insulation to bare walls. (Of course I will cover the windows with something, since I understand that's the biggest insulation issue.) The finished walls on a passenger van may not offer much in that department, but at least they offer SOMEthing. Also, don't passenger models include climate control vents toward the rear? That might be useful for normalizing the cargo bay temperature/humidity while I'm driving.

Thoughts? I guess what it really comes down to is getting the most reliable vehicle at the best price, regardless of configuration....

I think it depends on two things:

1. The climate of where you live - if it can get cold, its better to insulate as it will save you in fuel costs. Insulation can also help with keeping outside noise down. I live in Canada and I am adding two inches of insulation.

2. How long do you intend to do this? If its just for a few months/trips per year, dont' bother with insulation. However, if you live in an area where it gets cold AND you plan to do this longterm, its much better to insulate.

One thing to consider is that if you do buy a passenger/conversion van and later decide that it is better to insulate, ripping all that conversion van stuff would be a major pain.

A cargo van would be better, but I've seen some older class B vans for sale on CL for a reasonable price. I would certainly have the engine and transmission checked out, but at least then you have all the fixings done inside.

I'd be in it for the long haul, as it were. I just figured that a passenger van would have some kind of insulation stuffed behind those panels. Guess not.

I'll be in warm climates primarily (snowbirding), and I would try to stay somewhere with electric hookups in the winter so I could run a little heater of some sort. But I would be spending most of the day out and about, coming "home" to the van as an evening residence.

I wonder how pricey and time-consuming insulating one of these things is. I'm sure it would cost a ton to hire someone for it, unless maybe that someone was just a local handyman following instructions.

You don't need the skills of a carpenter nor a house builder to do the conversion. We're not talking rocket science or heart surgery here.

The most important skills to have is ability to think things through and to know when to ask questions. Second set of skills is ability to do some simple math and learn to measure twice, cut once...:D

Insulation - first layer is radiant heat barrier. Tools used - tape measure/ruler, scissors, caulking gun. Materials - bubble wrap, reflectix, metal tape.

Next item should probably be putting in strapping. If you don't want to or aren't comfortable using a drill and screws, you could always use VHB tape. Then you can insulate using the foam boards that come in sheets - again, glue/tape/screw your choice.

Take it slow and easy, understand what and why you're doing something, figure out what it's supposed to be in the end so you get things like the strapping in the right place for where it's going to be needed when you're attaching 'furniture' or tie downs.

Yes, there are different grades of 'pretty' when it's all said and done but as long as you're not aiming for a show quality van, I'd guess that you're up to the task of DIY.

Almost There is dead right. Its really not hard but you need to a) think things thru *very* well and b) willing to work. It does take some elbow grease. The best thing to do is take one step at a time. The two walls and roof all basically follow the same process so once you learn it for your first wall you apply the same principles to the other areas. The floor can be easy as putting some 1/2 inch plywood down and sticking on some linoleum tiles. The partrition (wall behind the front seats) is probably the hardest part as you have to some measuring based off a template... a little more tricky. However, you could always just hang a heavy black blanket there instead. It also matters if you want your van to be stealthy or not.

One tip I have learned is that, especially for beginners, it would likely be easier to build out a Chevy or Dodge van because the walls of the Fords are not flat, while the Chevy and Dodges are.

You can see that in this pic below. I had to put my ribs (strips of wood) horizontally rather than vertically to make it work on my Ford E150.
20150101_233138_zpsbyblwl4z.jpg

Anyway, I say go for it. When you educate yourself, you empower yourself. A couple of years ago I came across free plans to build some bass guitar speakers that I wanted. Only thing is, I had zero woodworking skills, but I took on the project and did things one step at a time, thinking things thru. In the end I had a great finished product and discovered I really enjoy building things... and it cost me hundreds less because I learned how to do it myself.

Best of luck!

Probably the most important consideration is can you live without the windows? I'm fine without them but I have many friends who simply MUST have window to see out or they feel claustrophobic. It's important you figure that out for yourself.
Bob

bb196aa75821b46ea2cea1f7e4ac33af.jpg

25aa2261117ef1f132eb53ad82c84436.jpg

Display van. The 50/50 answer?

akrvbob said:
Probably the most important consideration is can you live without the windows? I'm fine without them but I have many friends who simply MUST have window to see out or they feel claustrophobic. It's important you figure that out for yourself.
Bob

That's right Bob, and if you choose a window van, you can cover the windows your don't want with insulation and paneling, and leave the one's that you do want. I did this in my Dodge High Top and it's just what I wanted.

Almost There said:
Next item should probably be putting in strapping.

OK, I'm a handy guy from way back. But I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. "Strapping" could mean so many things, and it could be used to hold down so many different things.

Thanks for clarifying.
Grant

Latest posts