Cargo trailers and toxic plywood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salient0ne

Reaction score
Newbie here,

I'm in the never ending planning phase, done some reading about toxic plywood in older rvs and cargo trailers. I am currently considering converting a new cargo trailer.

Is this still a problem? Or will I die a slow horrible death inside my cargo trailer? :angel:

Salient0ne said:
Newbie here,

I'm in the never ending planning phase, done some reading about toxic plywood in older rvs and cargo trailers. I am currently considering converting a new cargo trailer.

Is this still a problem? Or will I die a slow horrible death inside my cargo trailer? :angel:

If you're ordering a new one, order it without the plywood walls installed and seal/cover the floor if it's a serious concern.

I ordered my first cargo trailer 23 years ago and then installed many, many sheets of plywood in building the custom interior workshop I needed.

I'm still around and quite healthy thank you!

IMO, the economy revolves around fear mongering of all types - if it's not possible plywood toxicity, it's something else including the water we drink and the air we breath.

I use as an example the industry created around smoking cessation - it's estimated to be a market worth over 3 billion dollars US worldwide. The entire industry is based on making people fearful of their ability to quit smoking by themselves. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just pointing out that what the entire industry is based on is fear!

one problem i know of is with formaldehyde in the glue,you can get formaldehyde free plywood or encapsulate it with a sealer,people had problems with it on those fema trailers post katrina

The Fema trailers used exterior grade plywood, which permits a higher outgassing rate, use of interior grade plywood should be fine
Airstream uses peal plywood in their RVs, and I've yet to hear of anyone being poisoned by it, though if you had , I forget, is it MCRS? you might be in a pickle
you can order cargo trailers with metal for the inside

ArtW said:
Airstream uses peal plywood in their RVs, and I've yet to hear of anyone being poisoned by it, though if you had , I forget, is it MCRS? you might be in a pickle

It's MCS---Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Somebody like me, with MCS or asthma, has to be a lot more careful than a regular person. For most people you can pick and choose whether or not something is a concern for you and just do your best, seal things that are a concern. That being said, I worked in a sick building for 5 years which contributed to or caused my MCS---not everyone developed it, depends on immune system. The simplified version of what some sick buildings are: buildings with chemical-laden air and no fresh air exchange.

If someone gets headaches or has breathing issues in the lumber area of HD or Lowes then they would do well to be more careful about what's in the products they buy and if there's any concern then seal those products well. Opinion---use interior grade products inside your home whether s&b or with wheels.

Thank you for the clarification and the information, always appreciated

Almost There said:
If you're ordering a new one, order it without the plywood walls installed and seal/cover the floor if it's a serious concern.

I don't believe you can order one without the plywood walls, at least not the cheaper ones that use the z-studs.  The plywood is needed to add structural rigidity to the walls.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I don't believe you can order one without the plywood walls, at least not the cheaper ones that use the z-studs.  The plywood is needed to add structural rigidity to the walls.

Sorry, didn't know that!

But then I've never ordered one of the cheaper ones. I test drove some various ones 23 years ago, didn't like the way they towed and headed for Wells Cargo. Other than for picking the big one up, broken but in one piece, off the interstate because someone tried to drive between my van and the trailer (long story, big mess), I've never had a problem with either of my two W/C trailers.

ArtW said:
Thank you for the clarification and the information, always appreciated

Welcome. :) Figured I'd explain sick building before someone asked. I'd never heard of it until after I was diagnosed.

Dawned on me after posting that MCRS is a combo of 2 things I have---MCS and Can't Remember S**t! Got a big chuckle out of that. :D

Speaking of which, the CRS got me and I forgot the important part. For OP, unless you have a compromised immune system or get headaches/breathing problems in the lumber departments, if you're basically healthy and don't plan to seal yourself in a small space for a long time with all kinds of off-gassing products then don't get too involved in worrying about this stuff.

WheelEstate USA said:
I love the smell of the lumber section.

I love the smell better when all that lumber is standing upright and has leaves and needles attached.... :angel:

I assume off gassing happens at a greater rate when the item is new. Maybe buying used would be better for those sensitive. I plan on staying where a vent fan will keep me comfortable. If I was going colder climates, I would look into an air exchange system. I don't see how breathing any kind of heater fumes is OK.

There is more off-gassing when things are new but it's a lot more complicated than just buying used if someone has to deal with any of the illnesses where it is a factor. Sensitivities are individual so what would work for one won't work for another, and may not work for that first person at a later time either. That's a whole 'nother thread though. This can give those interested an idea though: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-EI-MCS-Chemical-reactivity-COPD?highlight=mcs

Almost There said:
I've never had a problem with either of my two W/C trailers.

Thanks for all the input, any thumbs up for other brands other than wells cargo?

I've been happy with my Carry On I bought used. I also have a larger Pace that I bought used this summer for a tool trailer for my business. It seems decent.

I've read about formaldehyde off-gassing concerns with mobile homes and one recommendation was to allow them to air out. You could do that with a new trailer as well. Just open the doors when it's nice and allow it to air out for a few weeks/months before using it.

Salient0ne said:
Newbie here,

It has been said that 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane will keep the toxins at bay.  Also, I am currently building my 6x12 foot cargo trailer into a camper and my walls are chip/wafer board. That's double trouble due to the glue in this type of wall board. They say that toxic glues are no longer used.
My solution for the floor:  I painted the already sanded 3/4 inch chip board floor with 185-Latex Primer and then installed Peal 'n Stick one foot square vinyl flooring. I saved on weight by not laying down Luan plywood before applying the vinyl squares. I feel this flooring will protect me from toxins in the floor. I also sprayed the vinyl squares with 3M 77 Spray Adhesive, as the surface of the chip board is extremely rough.
My solution for the walls:  Instead of using 3 coats of polyurethane on the walls, I am mixing it first to keep it from turning the chip board too dark. The mixture is the same I learned from boat builders. Mix equal parts of polyurethane, tung oil, and mineral spirits in a glass jar. If you need to save it for later use, just put a lid on it. Linseed oil will darken wood, but tung oil will not. They claim this will protect boat furniture from moisture. This is the mixture I will apply on my walls. 
On my Luan shower walls however, I will use epoxy/spar polyurethane.

Some people are hypersensitive and need to take extraordinary measures.

The rest use common sense, lots of ventilation, more in early stages.

But never seal up completely, have to prevent condensation by actively venting whenever living aboard.

Latest posts