Cargo Trailer Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jooliepoolie

Reaction score
This isn't a van, so some things work differently. For example, only the frame is steel and the walls are aluminum, which limits where you can drill/mount things. And I think there's a lot more swaying and bouncing while on the road, so things need to be really locked down while travelling. However, there are a lot of cool ideas in this forum so I'd thought I'd share a few pics of my cargo trailer in case anything is useful to someone.

I purchased my trailer used. I picked it in part since it had some features just as I'd been thinking, and the previous owner had already made some great upgrades. There are other features I might have done differently, but I probably wouldn't have known until I'd used it for a while anyway. The e-track isn't at the height we would have picked necessarily in all places, but is super handy.

It's a 6x10 v-nose (Wells Fargo Tote Wagon TW-101V) with an extra 6" of headroom. I love the fact that it's short enough I can fit it into a standard parking space and the width (including the fenders) is no more than our truck. However, since the inside width is 5'9" and I'm 5'8" tall some days I wish it was 6" wider.

These days I usually pull it with my Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
trailer-jeep-parked.jpg

Having openable windows on both sides means there is a lot of light. Plus there are two openable skylights (one had a 12v exhaust fan, but it fell apart recently and I need to replace it).
gever-relaxing-outside-RR-HQ.jpg

The nose came with a simple bench in front, but I rebuilt it with multiple shelves and plenty of hooks for my "kitchen". I usually cook outside. Since this photo I've replaced the water box on the left with a second NEMO Helio foot-pump shower that has the spray head over the blue sink - it's great for washing up. The upper water box is drinking water. We build the little table; it has a simple folding support underneath. The support folds against the wall for travel, with a pin to hold it in place. The table pulls out (also pinned in place) and is stored under the futon for travel. I have more photos of it somewhere if anyone is interested.
towards-front-full.jpg

The trailer came with a couch that folds up completely against the wall, or folds out into a double bed. We don't expect to need to fold it up all the way, so took out those straps. It's pretty cozy for two when folded out and the foam is very worn in spots, so we're trying to figure out a better alternative for sleeping two (I often travel alone and prefer the platform bed). Costco had plastic boxes the perfect size to slide under the couch, so there is tons of storage under there for food, kitchen supplies, camping supplies, etc.
right-side-towards-back.jpg

The back doors swing open (rather than the more common flip-down ramp style door), which means they can be opened much more easily when backed into a parking or camping spot. Also, I can open just one. There is tons of storage under the platform bed, which is normally accessed from the back doors. 
left-side-towards-back-window.jpg

I'd like to make an extension for the platform bed that would make it big enough for two, but it would take up a lot of space if it was a permanent arrangement. I'm hoping to figure out an extension that slides out. Either with an extra pad for the extra surface area or a bigger futon that folds in some way. The etrack could be used to support the pull-out. Something along those lines.

Attachments

• trailer-jeep-parked.jpg
    trailer-jeep-parked.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 47
  • gever-relaxing-outside-RR-HQ.jpg
    gever-relaxing-outside-RR-HQ.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 68
  • towards-front-full.jpg
    towards-front-full.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 101
  • right-side-towards-back.jpg
    right-side-towards-back.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 77
  • left-side-towards-back-window.jpg
    left-side-towards-back-window.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 78
Very cool. I'm planing a similar build on a 7x14 CT pulled by a 2500 express. I'm talking note from your rig. Nice indeed! Did you instalk those windows yourself? Or did it come that way? This will be my most nerve racking part of a CT build.. The CUTTING! [emoji16]

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Hello and Welcome JooliePoolie, Very nice build. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into it. Good on you!

Nicole

I'm with you on the barn doors, and not a beaver tail.

If you've got a beaver tail and want something out of the back of your trailer, then when you open up the back...
a.) if it's raining out then everything in the back will get wet (I live in Oregon where it rains, ALOT, so this is a valid concern)
b.) Everyone within eyeshot will have full view to all the contents of your home.

Like you said, with barn doors, you can crack on open, get what you want, without getting everything wet or exposed to prying eyes.

My last box trailer was a 6' x 10' also, but it didn't take me long to realize that a 6' x 12' trailer was what I really needed. I DO like that 'V' nose though too!

Patrick46 said:
My last box trailer was a 6' x 10' also, but it didn't take me long to realize that a 6' x 12' trailer was what I really needed. I DO like that 'V' nose though too!

I can definitely see how valuable those extra 2' would be. It would certainly make my bed dilemma pretty trivial. When we pulled it with the Excursion there was no sense of a trailer behind at all and it was basically the same width and length (with the tongue) - so in a parking lot where you could pull through (real-size spaces) they would both just fit. The Jeep is a lot smaller (much shorter and definitely narrower). Plus it has the spare tire mounted on the back, so I had to get a longer hitch bar. The trailer is definitely a bit more noticeable, so 2' longer might seem like a lot.

Milk Hauler said:
Did you instalk those windows yourself?  Or did it come that way? This will be my most nerve racking part of a CT build.. The CUTTING! [emoji16] 
Lucky for me it came that way - the windows, the side door, and the skylights. We made a hole in the floor for my extension cord (it came with a marine battery, which I've replaced with a Goal Zero solar rechargeable battery, but I'm often places where I can run my extension cord for full power). I definitely would be nervous about cutting the walls, but I saw some other people on this forum have done their own windows (including those cool awning ones so you don't get wet if it's raining) - hopefully they have some tips for you!

julie

Very nice rig. I like my ramp door for loading my motorcycle, and it had it as I bought my trailer used also. But I think if I were to order a new one now I'd buy it with barn doors and just use a ramp to load the bike, for all the same reasons you laid out.

My trailer is a 6x10. When I see posts from people with a 6x12, I think "dang, that's a mansion". When you're 6'4", there is only 1 option for bed placement. One thing for sure is even the thickness of plywood changes interior dimensions, when you're dealing with small spaces. You never realize how precious an inch is. I already had the trailer - with a ramp, but probably would have bought a barn door too. However, I'm going to put an enclosed awning/screen room over the ramp and give myself another 6ft, so it might be a blessing.

IanC said:
My trailer is a 6x10. When I see posts from people with a 6x12, I think "dang, that's a mansion". When you're 6'4", there is only 1 option for bed placement. One thing for sure is even the thickness of plywood changes interior dimensions, when you're dealing with small spaces. You never realize how precious an inch is. I already had the trailer - with a ramp, but probably would have bought a barn door too. However, I'm going to put an enclosed awning/screen room over the ramp and give myself another 6ft, so it might be a blessing.

Please let me know about the awning/screen add on when you get it.  My converted cargo trailer is very similar to yours.

29chico said:
Please let me know about the awning/screen add on when you get it.  My converted cargo trailer is very similar to yours.
I do upholstery for boats and such so I'll be making the awning - I'm planning on adding a rail on the roof rack and attaching the awning to that. It will be staked out with the poles on the ramp.

However, I can't see a reason why you couldn't attach a cross rail to a roof rack and mount a commercial roll out awning to that, Don't know if they make them in 6ft lengths though, but a roll out might be easier to deal with than my idea.

29chico said:

I saw this one on an Australian web site

Attachments

• img015-roll-out-awning.jpg
    img015-roll-out-awning.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 22
jooliepoolie said:
The back doors swing open (rather than the more common flip-down ramp style door), which means they can be opened much more easily when backed into a parking or camping spot. Also, I can open just one. 

Smart statement.  I agree.

Not to be a nit picker but I'd like to clarify something concerning the term 'beavertail'.
Just having a ramp rear door is not a beavertail. A beavertail is a feature built into a trailer where about 3 feet of the floor at the rear angles down.
This lowers the hinge of the ramp creating a less steep angle allowing for easier loading of your wheeled toys.
It can be a real PIA when using the floor space for things other than loading. My old trailer (8 1/2 x 18) had about 8 inches of 'drop' at the rear.

If someone does want a ramp rear door, but a FLAT floor all the way back, don't ask for a 'beavertail'.
Likewise, if looking at used trailers and the ad says 'beavertail', be sure to clarify what the seller means.

Hope that's useful. :)

Nice looking setup. The roof racks, do you mind giving more info on them? Are they in some type of track to move them forward or backwards?

I just purchased a 7x12 v-nose, gray, extra 6" interior height. Barn doors!

The walls? Painted white or are they pvc panels?