Caravanning down Baja in December

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I want to drive my rig down to La Paz or La Vantana in early December. It's been recommended to me that I drive with a group to be safer.
Is anyone doing this? I don't want to pay, I don't need a tour, I just want to drive with a group until I get to the end.

Thanks

Last winter, the woman who blogs at Winnie Views wrote about all the places she stayed. I'm pretty sure she was traveling alone for the trip though she met up with some friends once down at one of the campgrounds. She did usually stay in places where she paid to park, but they all seemed very reasonable (some cheap).

If you'd like to read up on where she stayed and see pics of tons of beaches, here is a link to a post about one of the beaches (the beginning of her trip to Mexico starts a several posts back.

http://winnieviews.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-best-boondocking-beach-in-baja.html

My oldest Son, and possibly myself, will be heading into Baja after RTR in January. We'll be on motorcycles so not real conducive to caravanning. But staying safe for the most part is no different than in the USA. I do know several people that travel south regularly. One thing they all recommend, is to not spend to much time near the border, and other normal tourist areas, as that is where problems can happen. What they do is cross the border first thing in the morning, at a smaller crossing like Tecate, and then not stop until they are a couple hours or so south. Once away from the borders the people for the most part are just hard working genuine simple people who will enrich your life if you take time to get to know them. I remember having a conversation with a lobster fisherman about how the traps worked. I only have a rudimentary understanding of Spanish, from working in the building trades all my life, and he only knew a few words of english. But he was still able to explain his work and we parted having formed a friendship.

Latest posts