Car carried rooftop tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fearnoevil

Reaction score
So I ran across this thing and I don't remember seeing one before so I thought I'd post it here for the Cardweller :cool: I think it looks like a great way to have a really decent sized sleeping area while still driving the smallest vehicles ;?D But stealthy it's not, lol.

dusseldorftrailers-23.JPG

* Model and spare tire sold separately, batteries not included.

Another cool idea for making the most of a small space, a trunk that has a cook stove, bed and other items built in.
pictures

http://www.gizmag.com/20-portable-campers/29191/pictures#24

Hmm, first link didn't work, well this thing is called a Ququq
http://www.gizmag.com/ququq-van-camper-one-minute/28009/

I've seen these online, not stealthy, but think it's a great alternative to a tent. You're up off the ground from critters and water (when it rains) and you get a hard top roof. They're a bit pricy but if your thinking of a pop-up tent trailer and the price of a hitch, it might make sense if your towing capacity isn't large. And no tags and registration fees.

I have had one of those on my PT Cruiser for a couple years. I really like to sleep in it. It's very comfortable inside.

Attachments

• cartent.jpg
    cartent.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 42
Yes, here is a link to a webpage I found about the model I have.

http://www.autohome-official.com/en...f-top-tent/airtop/maggiolina-airtop-roof-tent

Here is the website I used to contact someone and purchase it:

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolinaAir.php

I live in N. CA and had to drive to Sonoma for them to install it. Don't do that though, just install it yourself. It is super easy to do. Putting the roof rack together was a lot harder (for me anyway).

The only drawback so far is I can't figure out how to get my pit bull up into it. She is too heavy for me to lift that high, so she sleeps in the car when we camp.

Jora, that does look like a nice perch to spend the nite in, I like the idea of being off the ground, you avoid the damp and all the creepy crawlies that like to snuggle up with you while you're sleeping, lol.
As for your dog, maybe a sling, a block and tackle and a tree branch :D

Holy guacamole, just checked the prices and the sticker shock knocked me out of my chair, lol, $2500 to $5500???

I was thinking more like $1200 to $1800 :-/

Yes, a bit pricey, but made really well. I bought a small one so it was toward the lower figure. It pops up all made in about two minutes, with the pad, sleeping bag and pillow all ready for me.

It has screens all four sides, so a nice breeze can blow thru and I can look down on all the critters passing by my car.

I only camp in it now, or stay at relative's homes when I visit in their yard. I do hope to travel more in it when I turn 62, but we will see.

I am still puzzling about the dog, and will give a thought to your block and tackle idea. I might need more arm strength though. :shy:

Hi Jora,
Yes it does look well made and as my grandaddy used to say, "Quality is like buying oats. If you want good, fresh oats you have to pay the price, but if you're willing to settle for ones that have already been through the horse, well they come a lot cheaper." :p

Btw, you don't need a lot of strength with a block and tackle as they are designed to make lifting heavy objects easy, and although my advice was a bit tongue-in-cheek,:angel: I do imagine that it could work. All you'd need is to park under a tree with branches you can reach, (but the limbs should be sound of course, as in live not dead ones ;?), then of course there's the matter of training your pooch to stay quietly, with a sling wrapped around him, as you attempt, as quickly as possible, to climb up to your tent and begin hauling him up, lol, well let's just say I'm not going out on a limb on that one. :D

If you stored your stuff in 6 sturdy 15" cubes, you could build doggy a staircase with them instead of having a ladder. Perhaps not the most practical idea I've ever had. :)

Slightly more serious, my neighbor's chickens have a ramp up into their coop. It's a long board about a foot wide with struts nailed into it horizontally for traction. You could probably keep that in your car, do you think doggy would take to it better than the ladder?

Chicken-Ramp.jpg

Attachments

• Chicken-Ramp.jpg
    Chicken-Ramp.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 18
After I got the rooftop is the only time I wished I had a smaller dog I could just plop up there at bedtime. Even at home, my dog is up a few times at night going in and out.

A ramp is a good idea. My son tried to figure out how long it would have to be to create a gentle slope the dog would walk up by herself, and it was pretty long. We haven't tried to build it yet, but that may be the solution we go with.

A few times though, I went without the dog, and that was fine too. I may have to have her stay with somebody while I am out and about. We will see.

Many thanks for the good ideas, much appreciated!

many dogs don't like walking up even a low ramp. Getting a dog to walk up a ramp 6 feet in the air would take a lot of training and probably be impossible.
Bob

akrvbob said:
many dogs don't like walking up even a low ramp. Getting a dog to walk up a ramp 6 feet in the air would take a lot of training and probably be impossible.
Bob

I didn't know that. That's too bad then. I know she did well on a ramp at a dog gymkhana thing, but I was beside her at the time and it was only about waist high. She is also a bit heftier now. Anybody with any other ideas, I would love to hear them! :idea:

Otherwise, my dog is going to have to sleep in the car while I sleep on top in the tent. When we did that, she stayed awake all night guarding things and then slept during the day anyway. That works too. I am sure we will figure something out.

Thanks, everyone! :)

There's no reason why a "rooftop" tent HAS to be mounted on the roof of your car. Many Jeep drivers mount theirs on an off road trailer that they pull behind their jeep. Such a rig is only 3 or 4 feet off the ground.

If you're not worried about ground clearance, you could even mount your tent to one of those light utility trailers usually used to pull lawn mowers and riding tractors from job to job. No ladder or ramp would be needed then.

Regards
John

Thank you! That is a great idea. I know that PT Cruisers cannot tow much, around 900 lbs max, if I remember correctly, and also I understand it is hard on the transmission.

A light trailer would work. But first I would need to get a trailer hitch put on there. Oh no! Another project!

But this is the most workable solution so far. Thank you again! :)

Actually, thinking about it a few more days, putting the rooftop on a trailer would take the fun out of it. I like sleeping up high--it's kind of like a little treehouse.

:)

Looks kinda cozy but I think I would want to pull the ladder up and put it on the roof over night but I'm kind of a security spaz, not that you would have to worry about it if you have a pit bull down there.

MattK said:
Looks kinda cozy but I think I would want to pull the ladder up and put it on the roof over night but I'm kind of a security spaz, not that you would have to worry about it if you have a pit bull down there.

Good point. So true that the pit bull is a deterrent. I also keep a mace gun near me in the tent just in case. I could pull the ladder up into the tent and lean it against one wall if need be. I am small. I don't even take up half the tent, so there's room for it, easily.