Car Camping and traveling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinneyboy1

Reaction score
I've been to CheapRVLiving website many times and learned a lot.  I'm not a full timer but get away on long road trips and car camp to save (considerable) money.  Sometimes I take my small ancient trailer to a local area (SE Arizona) and use it for a base camp for back road explorations with my tow vehicle, an ancient 4x4 Durango.

I learn so much from full time van dwellers or car campers that I apply to my own trips and camping.  Bob's recent video/interview with an experienced boondocker gave me several useful tips even though I don't long term boondock.  (Short term b.d.ing is really camping, right?). My longest stay in one campsite to date is 1 week.  I usually keep moving.

Welcome Kinneyboy1 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I use the term "boondocking" to refer to any camping outside of established campgrounds, whether long term or just for one night.  
I only boondock when on road trips/vacations, so it's not long term, and in fact, almost all the time it's just one night, as I tend to stay in one spot one night, then move on as I keep touring the area and hiking in new spots. 
There is a big difference between camping in a campground, versus camping in areas outside of campgrounds on public lands. This is what the term refers to and why it's useful.

Sounds real similar to how/what I do. I see your point "boondocking" is not tied to a length of time.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :)

The length of time issue may be confused with the policies of the Bureau of Land Management as to Boondocking.

14 Days. Dispersed camping is allowed on public land for a period not to exceed 14 days within a 28 consecutive day period. The 28 day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands.

BLM length of stay policy

It seems Boondocing is often used loosely with using BLM lands.

When I realized that I could not do a van conversion, I started thinking what else I could do! One day I was on uTube and saw the same car conversion that you were probably looking at.......where Bob took a tour. I am in my 50's and a disabled vet, but I am going to see what I can do with my car. My present car is a little too small but we are going to buy an SUV before I retire. I am going to make sure it's more roomy. Like you I will not be out long term, a couple of weeks at a time is about the best I can do. I don't plan on staying in any one place for more than a day or two, I plan to travel through all 50 states over a 5 year period. Staying in my car would greatly reduce my costs, making more trips available.

People do this in all sizes of cars, and you can too.

I suggest you carry a backpacking tent. Not necessarily to sleep in, but it comes in handy if you want to stay a couple days in one place and "mark" your spot. I have also used mine to make more sleeping/living room in my van by storing stuff in the tent.

And it is a good idea to start camping right now in the vehicle you have. Everyone needs some regular fun, and you will learn much from the experience.

Latest posts