Canine separation Anxiety, or a legitimate itch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
I am house sitting and dog watching.  Me and the 4 to 5 year old  female Lowland Polish sheep dog are very  good friends.  While not my dog, everybody calls her my dog, even her owner's as I have played with her since she was a  tiny puppy.

She is sweet, smart, loyal and tries so hard to be a good dog it is almost painful.  But she can't handle being left alone, most of the time and never could.

The owners and their 3 kids are gone, for about 10 days now.  The first time I left her in the fenced gated yard by herself to go surfing, when I came back and she had chewed her rump just over her tail to the point it was wet with saliva and bright red and her fur all matted.  The day before I had, with permission, run the clippers over  with a number 8  removing huge amounts of hair and she seemed so  relieved to be free of that mass/ burden of unneeded  insulation.  After I saw she had chewed herself raw, i gave her a good shampoo and conditioning which I was planning on anyway, as she sleeps in my Van with me, on my bed,  and was kind of stinky,  and the red rawness miraculously disappeared and all was well.

A few other times I surfed It was overcast, and I knew it was going to stay overcast, and left her in the Van with all the fans going while i went surfing, exchanging all the air inside once every 3 minutes or so. No danger of overheating.  She appeared happy as a clam inside before she noticed me outside the window pulling out my key.  I asked a person parked nearby if she had been barking whimpering or whining or anything and they said no, Did not even know there was a dog inside.

Yesterday I had to leave for several hours and could not take her with me. I thought another person was going to stay at the house and dog sit, but she stayed elsewhere, and the sheepdog was alone for perhaps 8 hours.  Plenty of food water, ect.  No physical danger. When I came back and she had chewed parts of  her paws and parts of her legs raw, they were all dirty, the fur matted, and I washed them and we went to bed and another neighbor told me today she was so annoying with the whimpering and whining he contemplated the consequences of shooting her and almost gave in to the temptation.

Today I had to help a different neighbor with something, was gone for perhaps 1/2 hour, came back and she had mangled her butt, just above the tail, raw redness.  I was really irritated as I had given her another bath this morning to better clean off the mess she made of herself last night, and now she was  a saliva matted mess again.

I can't spend every single  moment with this dog.  Looking at Canine separation anxiety web pages, none fo them say the animal actually chew themselves raw, usuallly chewing destroying somethng  else, or makes a lot of noise whimpering barking panting ect.

She does whimper and bark when left alone, especially if she hears people speaking or knows her family is over at the neighbor's pool.

I am not really sure that there is NOT a legimate reason for her to itch and try and scratch it.  Her ears have been an issue for a while, and I have been using some sort of  vet prescribed antimicrobial product on them and they have gotten better, and look perfect in the morning, but then when I put her on her property in the gate, even if I am there, they seem to slowly turn red as if something on that property is an allergen to  her.

Or she just decided to self flaggelate for some twisted undecipherable reason.

When her owners were having some rather severe marital issues, she had chewed her tail  to the point it got infected and was devoid of hair and absolutely disguting looking, and I cleaned and treated it daily until it subsided, which was rather quick..

I'm not really sure what to do here.  She does need a lot of attention, and I give her a lot, but I cant be there 24/7.  There is the possibility she is allergic to something on the property where she lives, or it could just be anxiety. There are arguements for both.

I am going to clean the area/ decking where she spends a lot of time, perhaps there is a fungus or mites or something and a legitimate  yet invisible reason for her chewing herself raw. I've never seen any fleas or any physical reason for itching, or perhaps she is just so emotionally  sensitive and being left alone is causing her to chew herself raw, even though that is not really brought up as a result of canine separation anxiety as an behavior on the sites I have read.

I do play with her a lot each day, having her chase a ball until she calls it quits and then throwing it somemore which she cannot resist, and I've taken her for walks, which her owners never do.  She always behaves better when I tire her out with the ball chasing, but not lately. Needs to be sitting on my foot or getting some kind of attention 98% of the time.
 I will be the only one taking care of her for 5 more weeks or so and would love to get her being OK with being left alone  for a while without either chewing herself raw or whimpering and whining by the gate and annoying all the other neighbors.

I'd take her with me more, but in california there are so many doo gooders who would not hear or see the fans and simply think the dog is in distress rather then being in the same ambient temperature air, as outside the van.  In California they are allowed to break a window After calling the cops, but most would not bother with the cops revelling in their indignation instead.  I doubt if I hung a thermometer out of direct sun but visible from the front windows, whether they would even acknowledge the low ambient temperature inside.  

I can't not go surfing as that is the only reason I am not  insane, and if Sunny, I fear bringing her with me for fear of the indignant doo gooders breaking a window unnecessarily.  She is going to have to learn to be alone, or wear a muzzle when i am gone so she cannot chew herself raw.

Any words or wisdom/ Advice?

Wow....this is heartbreaking to hear about...

BTW have you tried leaving a TV on when she is alone in the house? Sometimes the silence is what is annoying to them.

The TV doesnt have to be on too loud, just normal volume. They can hear human voices and sometimes it helps.

Worth a try, wont cost anything.

I usually leave her outdoors, as do her owners when they leave her alone. She prefers it outdoors unless everybody is inside Climate is mild, there is plenty of shade.

Last time she chewed herself today there was some light volumed music on. They do not have a TV but perhaps I can get a talk radio station to play. Thing is she is so smart it is hard to trick her. She knows If I leave in my Van, and when I return, knows the sounds of her owner's cars, dismisses others. Can't see outside the fence/gate it would have to be taller than my van to see it from yard. Owners have a stock toyota tacoma pickup she hears it approach and jumps up and goes to gate, tail furiously wagging, another same year same model tacoma often drives by she lifts her head as the it approaches, they head goes back down, eyes close lets out a sigh.

All signs of a very intelligent, highly socialized dog.

When I was a teenager, our family had a large collie, we named him Laddie cuz he looked like a bigger, and male, version of Lassie.

Anyway, he learned to jump our 6 foot high fence because he didnt like being left alone when we were all in school.

He apparently tracked the scent of either our car or caught the wind carried scent of kids at a school about a mile away, where my younger sisters attended and he always went there when he got out. The principal would call our phone number on his tag and leave a message, we would go pick him up as soon as we could. 

He would always get tangled up if we put him on a rope or chain anchored to a stake or pole in the yard, so that wasn't working.

I, yes I, got the bright idea of using a rope attached to his collar to tie him to a large all terrain tire that was pretty heavy, but allowed him to slowly drag it around in the yard so he was able to move and not get too tangled up.

It worked fine for weeks, he stayed put. But he did get pretty muscular from dragging around a 30-40 pound tire all the time.

One day, we got a weird call. The message went like this:

"Hi, Henry Family, your dog is at our school again, but someone has tied him to a huge truck tire and hes dragging it around the schoolyard like it's not even there!"

He jumped the fence with it, the tire marks were on the top of the fence, and then he dragged that tire a mile to the school!

Dogs WILL find a way to be with people if they can.

I hope you can figure this out.

Twelve years working for a vet, I've never heard of that particular manifestation of separation anxiety, but..... I guess it's not impossible.  Usually, when they chew their rump it's due to fleas.  They don't have to have a lot of fleas -- it is an allergic reaction to the saliva in the flea bite, and it only takes one flea.  

How does she act when she is with you?  Stop throwing the ball and trying to entertain her or wear her out -- just be there and watch how she acts.  Does she chew her rump then, AT ALL?  If she does, it's probably a flea allergy.  Even if you used a flea shampoo when you bathed her, the effect usually only lasts about 24 hours.  She will need something like Advantage II or Revolution (forget the el cheapo Sargents, etc, some have worse reactions to that stuff) -- her owners may have some and didn't tell you, or you can get it from their vet.

You could call her vet and tell them what is happening, and ask if they could suggest something.  If they suggest a tranquilizer, be sure to give it to her the first time when you're going to be there to make sure she doesn't have a bad reaction to that.

You could try Bach's Rescue Remedy for Pets, a natural prodcut for calming pets:     http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx    This is usually available locally -- try a human health food/supplements store, like GNC or something similar.  PetCo and PetsMart don't carry it, AFAIK.  If you get it, give it to her first thing in the morning, not two minutes before you leave.

You could call her owners and ask if what she is doing with you is what happens when they leave her alone.  Ask what they do about it. Try leaving her in the house when you leave.

Teach her the Find-It Game:  when it's meal time, don't just dump the food in her bowl and walk away.  Pick up one piece of food, let her smell it, and then roll it a few feed away from her as she watches, saying "Find it!".  If she goes after it, praise her.  If she knows Sit/Stay, sit her down and let her watch you put another piece of dog food about 10 feet away in plain sight.  Every time you set a piece of food down, tell her to find it.  Do this several times in different places, all easy for her to see.  Once she's got the idea, put a piece of food in a small box in plain sight.  Then put the next piece of food under the box.  Then put a piece just around a door frame.  Then put it in a different room.  If she doesn't understand, lead her and point to the food.  Keep doing this until she understands the game.  Then put her on a sit/stay, or put her outdoors, and hide her entire meal, one piece at a time, all over the house (accessible to her), let her in, tell her to find it, and leave the house. You can also do it outdoors.

This game is actually better for training a dog to PREVENT separation anxiety, but you can only adapt to the current situation.

If you need to, use all the above.

Or teach her to go surfing with you...... http://www.socalsurfdogs.com/uploads/5/5/1/6/5516446/1137923_orig.jpg

Good luck!

Sounds like you've got issues with both allergies and separation anxiety. I know you said you've done a lot of reading on the subject, but have you read this article?: http://thepetshow.com/separation-anxiety-not-spite/

Luckily, today is the day Warren Eckstein does his radio call in show so you can can speak with him about the issue and get expert guidance. In pacific standard time call 866-870-5752 between 11 and 1. Then from 1-3 the number is 877-725-8255. Those are the call in numbers for both of his radio shows. The closer you call to 11 am and 1pm at the start of the shows the less time you will spend waiting on the phone.

Disclaimer: I know Warren personally and work for him. Not trying to promote or advertise for him, but am just trying to help out a suffering pup.  Warren is a really good hearted guy and he cares a lot about animals. He's there to help if you want it.

The sore open spots could be 'hot spots' usually caused by an allergen such as fleas or maybe something else in her yard but they could also be caused by separation anxiety. In the short term you might not be able to figure out which it is.

You might have to resort to the dreaded Elizabethan collar to prevent her from harming herself again or making the itchy spots worse while they  heal. If it can't be sorted and you absolutely have to leave her alone in the house then the collar can be used while you're gone. Make sure you clear off things like the coffee table etc. and/or confine her to a safe part of the house because that collar is deadly on household objects.... :D :D 

The vet will have the right size for her.

The spots she attacks when alone, seemingly heal within an hour as they are no longer red, and I cannot find ANY sign of bites/ The exception was the one event on her tail which took several days to heal as it got infected and I was not really around much to check on her with all the Shit hitting the marital fan a few months back.

She does a lot of fur licking, like she is bored and her fur on her front or rear paws, tastes good.

She will not attack her rump in my presence, but she will if she cannot see me. I'll come around the corner and say 'hey' and she looks guilty and stops.

I am going to clean the brown painted decking where I see her spend most of her free time and where she does most of her chewing. While I've gotten rid of my athletes foot, I have noticed that kind of itch after walking around on that decking barefoot. I saw the homeowners have some lamasil spray laying around by where they keep their shoes outside on the decking.

I've done the flea hunt several times and they do have the frontline or one of the other prescription flea remedies.

When I notice her licking herself or being more aggressive at a spot, if I say 'hey, stop that,' she stops. Every other dog I've known that is chasing a flea or legitimate itch, will ignore any verbal command or simply leave the line of site and continue chewing.

I second the Rescue Remedy recommendation. It does not "drug" the dog.. it just files off the spikes of anxiety, distress, fear, and worry. Helps them relearn new mental behaviors- learn they don't need to worry. (eg: fireworks and thunderstorms)
Also, I am sure you have thought of this- as you seem to be dog-people, but give her some good exercise before you need to leave her alone. (A walk around the block is not exercise, playing a hard running game of fetch the ball for half an hour is exercise.) I have a dog that suffers boredom-anxiety if he doesn't get enough physical/mental stimulation every day.

Clonazepam, is good stuff for anxiety-if you can get a vet to prescribe it. Dogs take a much higher dose than humans because of the way they metabolize it, though. Nowadays with the opiate/drugs brouhaha, you're not likely to get it, unfortunately.

Has the dog ever been crated? Often dogs are calmer in their "dens". If she has been crated in the past, perhaps, if you have one available, you could give it a try.

It hurts to see a dog so unhappy that she harms herself. I feel for your frustration.
Ted

My vet gave Tigger Prednizone.  Stopped his itching.

I am starting to think she's got a legitimate itch. I think there might be some mites/ chiggers in some of the places she lays down on the home owner's property. It seems the more time she spends here, even when not alone, the higher likelyhood she will act like something just bit her and attack herself.

There are some time she just licks herself like her fur tastes of steak, and If I yell at her to stop, she stops.

I was inside their house and heard her going at herself and called her in, and was using a paper towell soaked it IPAlcohol to clean th efur, and I felt some pinprick bites on my forearms, though saw no redness on myself and could not see any miniature evil 6 or 8 legged micro creature.

If i have seen her going at her tail or a section of hind leg, I have been commanding her to walk into the shower/ bath so I can wash it. She used to run and hide, but now accepts this fate and walks in resigned to it whch frankly surprised the hell out of me.

Not sure whether she know's the bath is inevitable and best not to piss me off, of whether she realizes she does not really itch for a while after a bath, and when all clean and fluffy and smelling like some foo foo passionfruit shampoo, is is then irresistable to the others who live nearby.

Anyway, I took her to the beach at sunset, illegally, and threw the ball several dozen times for her. She is the master tackler of thrown tennis balls and Snorts with the ball in her mouth as she trots back and puts the slobbery sandy mess in my hand, or drops it at my feet if I command that, so i can Kick it instead.

She will be getting bathed tonight before she is allowed in the van, as she already smells like a distant dead clam.

One morning, after throwing the ball for her near dark when she went charging into bishes chasing it, she woke me up and I though she was playing pirate, but her eye was crusted shut. It took a bunch of warm water to loosen it up and clean it out so she could open her eye. I've been using some 'Soothing eyewash' which is a weak boric acid solution made for humans in purified water to clean out her crusty eye buggers. The canine version in petsmart was 30$, same ingredients as the sub 5$ wash in CVS. Quite amazing how she lets me fill up her eye with this solution then peel back the eyelid and let it flush all around the eyeball perimeter inside. then lets me clean out the corner goop and crusteez the floated up with a Qip, and then clean the surrounding fur with a clean napkin. NOw her eyes are not obviously irritated in any way, and no tear tracs running down her fur either.

That is a lot of baths. There is no way I could bathe Max that often and not dry out his skin.

Many dogs act this way (lots of licking) when they are allergic to their food. Many people swear by Costco Kirkland brand dog food.

The dogs breeder, in Poland, said her mother is allergic to chicken, and the food was changed to a chicken free food a few months ago, with possible improvements, but other variables also changed.

But her food supply is almost out. I emailed her owner and asked what the purchase, b ut will get her whatever might help her out most, though I do not have a costco membersip.

She is freshly bathed, towled off and sleeping peacefully on my bed in the van.

My vet says that Benadryl is good for dogs that are overly itchy and will give them relief and 100% safe for dogs.

Ok back to step zero.

I think she is insane.

I left her alone for 30 minutes and she chewed her belly and part of her tail just above her rump to near the point of bleeding. Wet with saliva and bright red with brighter red spots here and there within the damaged area, which kind of looked like bug bites, or teeth marks.

After I returned and she tried to continue and I yelled at her to stop. She stopped. Completely, looked utterly relaxed. I made dinner, had a beer or three, and One hour later I go inspect closer. The fur is a still a bit damp but she was relaxed without a care in the world. No red spots, no signs anything was biting her, or that she was even attacking herself. Kind of amazing it disappears so quickly as bad as it looks on initial inspection

I think she done be plum loco, and just loses it when alone.

Either that or she tries to smother a fire ant hill or hump a cactus or similar the second I close the gate as I leave and has the recuperative powers of Superdog..

There are no fire ant hills, or cacti on the property.

Poor ole dog! Sounds like you are right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emotional nutjob.

Gonna have to try that rescue remedy.  Where can it be bought locally?

Latest posts