Candles and ceramic heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphim

Reaction score
Probably better for smaller spaces, but my filters pulled in these two articles today. The first is a Kickstarter project in the works, the second an inexpensive DIY version. Thought someone might be interest in trying the DIY version.

http://www.psfk.com/2014/12/heat-your-room-for-10-cents-a-day-with-candle-powered-device.html

http://inhabitat.com/video-how-to-m...ater-that-heats-your-home-for-pennies-a-day/

http://inhabitat.com/video-how-to-m...eater-that-heats-your-home-for-pennies-a-day/

Don't know why the direct link above doesn't work. Cut and paste this one in the browser.

I wouldn't expect this to heat a large space. The commercial version claims a 2-3 degree temperature increase in an 8x10 space. I'm skeptical, but..

I looked into candle heating and it takes 16 candles to get 1200 to 1500 BTU. It might do a little but not much in cold weather.

One Awesome Inch said:
I looked into candle heating and it takes 16 candles to get 1200 to 1500 BTU. It might do a little but not much in cold weather.

I believe that rating would be for open candles. The clay pot method increases the heating dramatically.

Since I've got some clay pots kicking around here somewhere in the S&B home and a small room about the size of the van, I'll test them over the holidays and get back to y'all.

Yep, thoroughly debunked: http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/van-essential-flower-pot-heater/
It is impossible for a clay pot to "amplify" or "magnify" the heat provided by the candle. All it does is act as a heat-battery (no different than if you heat up a chuck or metal) which slowly disperses that captured heat over time.

and, get this, it costs MORE to heat via candle then propane.

I was considering a much smaller space. The value of a candle in cold weather survival - a smal snow cave - has been demonstrated. It won't heat the cave, but brings it up to a more tolerable level.

We've had people in small cars ask about heat. By blocking off a portion of the vehicle, and with proper clothing, something like this may be an assistance in emergency situations. Care must be taken.

The Kickstarter project used 4 candles...

The small space required for 4 candles to provide any measure amount of heat (like a small closet) may also get you killed when burning 4 [paraffin] candles in that small of a space. Paraffin candles (such as the cheap candles needed to make this idea cost effective) release toxins when burned.

I think it would work *okay* as long as you have realistic expectations.

If each candle is 50w or roughly 150 btu, 16 candles would be 800w or 2400 BTU. Thats actually not too bad and pretty close to a small propane heater.

Now to me the clay pots have the advantage of keeping the heat lower for longer, rather than accumulating on the ceiling of the van's interior. I don't believe they will produce *more* heat but you can manipulate it to keep you warmer by keeping the heat lower for longer.

That said, one or two little tea lights is not going to do jack squat. No doubt about that. You need lots of them.

So then there is the matter of expense and the solution is to not use paraffin candles but food grade canola oil. It produces no toxins and burns very clean with next to no soot. Olive oil is even better burning but costs more. Olive oil and canola have a very high flamability rate (for lack of a better phrase) and wont catch on fire even if you put a flame directly onto them. Another advantage of food grade oil is that there is no concern of having a propane tank in your van.

One ounce of canola oil will last for about 2 hours for one wick. Two litres of canola oil up here in Canada is about $2.00 (68 ounces is about 2 litres). So if my math is right $2.00 of canola oil with 16 wicks should last about 8.5 hours. Do that every day and you spend $60 per month on canola oil. If you buy large quantities of oil or get used oil for free that cost will go down.

The most attractive advantage to me is that canola oil flames don't produce all the moisture that propane does (which could eventually lead to mold problems). This is very important to me in the humid climate in which I live.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/can-burning-a-candle-affect-your-health-95326230498.html

A lot of marketing hype in the last few years, since the advent of soy based candles. This article seemed unbiased either way...

... Always ventilate.

The above link isn't working for me, for some reason. Here's part of the text:

Chances are, you probably own a candle. After all, the National Candle Association reports seven out of 10 households use candles. But is it safe to breathe their fumes?

The definitive answer is, well, up in the air. A 2009 South Carolina State University study found that burning paraffin candles releases pollutants into the air, potentially affecting human health. But a 2007 study from the Bayreuth Institute of Environmental Research analyzed candle fumes for more than 300 potentially toxic chemicals, finding no appreciable difference between paraffin, beeswax, soy, palm, and stearin waxes.

So why are people concerned? Rob Harrington, a toxicologist and industry consultant, believes that it’s about perception. “Years ago, candles were pretty much made with paraffin,” he says. “Soy candles are somewhat new. The marketing is that soy is all-natural and good for you, and that paraffin comes from the petroleum refining process.” Burning soy or paraffin, he says, makes no difference in air quality. (Dr. Massoudi, the lead researcher on the 2009 study, declined to be interviewed for this story.)

Apparently there are two somewhat commercial sides to the argument. According to the EPA, the jury is still out. *shrug*. To each their own. I thought the articles interesting, and still do.

But if you burn 16 candles a day for 8 hours it will magnify toxicity levels quite a bit.

I can't believe we have another heating with candles thread. I guess at this point all I can say is if you think it's going to work try it. once you do and freeze your *ss off. maybe then you will understand. highdesertranger

NM. I'll just keep things I find interesting to myself *grin*

Seraphim said:
NM. I'll just keep things I find interesting to myself *grin*

No, no, even if some give you a hard time, don't keep it to yourself.

I've found a whole world of interesting stuff by following links and then another link and then another.

If our great inventors had never tried some stuff that others thought would never work and were goofy ideas, look at what we wouldn't have!

If you kick hard enough, the horse recovers.

ANY oil, wax, or gas will give off contaminates when burning. They are not pure hydrocarbons and all have differing hazardous elements. Propane is the cleanest to burn.

You can stay warm with candles. You just need too many.

When I first started to camp in 1968 I purchased a little hand book on camping. I still remember one comment, never underestimate the little candle.
It was talking mostly about using for light. Compared to a mag light or led lantern it will not compete but at least you are not in the total darkness.
The same can be said I guess about heat. It won't compare to propane but you may be able to warm your fingers and toes.
So "Never underestimate the little candle"

Bob

I think the problem here is people expect candles to keep the enviroment warm. The expectation should be it raises ambient temperature a bit to permit clothing and sleeping systems to do their job. I started a post on cold traps and such, possibly used in a car, but decided it would just create more controversy lol.

I must apologize for being a little snappy with my reply. my thought is you must be able to stay warm without any outside help. it is far more important to have the proper clothing and sleeping gear than it is to having outside heating sources. this is very important so I will repeat, you must have the proper gear to stay warm without outside heat sources. outside heat sources can fail so without the proper gear you will be in deep doo doo. highdesertranger