Can You Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry-new said:
Have patched small holes with repair goop available in auto stores..it usually doesn't last terribly long if the vehicle is driven every day, but it is cheap. A tailpipe after the muffler should not be very costly either.
It it is just a small hole, it can be welded closed with a clothes hanger as the "filler material" or "welding rod". We used to do that all the time. You need an Oxy-Acetylene torch. I don't know if MAPP gas would work or not, never tried it.

I got a mig welder....

Ive tried to get kaylee to come to az and take my old generator also. ;)

Kaylee if you can smell exhaust please get it fixed ASAP. I doubt a small hole towards the rear of the exhaust is causing you to smell it. unless you have bad rear door or window seals.

if rust has caused the hole welding ain't going to fix it. you can't weld rust.

highdesertranger

Suanne said:
I really like the community spirit that this idea embodies.

Unfortunately, when on public land, we can't have organized HOWA activities without a Special Use Permit, operations plan, lots of processing time, and many associated BLM costs.  That's why the Caravans are kept smallish and not organized by HOWA once on sight.

Suanne, in the LTVAs there are MANY clubs and groups and organization meetups and campouts. They don’t have to have special permits. If it’s a special HOWA meetup there shouldn’t be a problem at all. The Escapees and other such groups have been having their rallys there for decades.

highdesertranger said:
if rust has caused the hole welding ain't going to fix it.  you can't weld rust.

highdesertranger

Can and do all the time. You sand the area until you have bare metal and you patch or tack fill the gap.

Cammalu said:
Suanne, in the LTVAs there are MANY clubs and groups and organization meetups and campouts. They don’t have to have special permits.  If it’s a special HOWA meetup there shouldn’t be a problem at all. The Escapees and other such groups have been having their rallys there for decades.

The Yuma Field Office that manages the LTVAs in Quartzsite, said the only place we can have the RTRs is at the same place it was last year, in Scaddan Wash at $6/person/day.  That's problem number one. 

The second problem is that we want to keep the RTRs free to participants; or, on a donation basis only.  For the LTVAs, even if available to hold the RTRs, each participant would be charged and that would ace out many of those who are most in need.  Of course, we could have them apply for assistance through HOWA … 

But, without the Field Office's approval, the LTVAs are not an option.

Suanne when you are dealing with the federal government "said" does not cut it. Post documents and transcripts of conversations. Estimating numbers also does not cut it when dealing with the government, preregistration or past numbers of people that signed in is required. The nonprofit needs a lawyer that specializes in dealing with the BLM. Many groups do this already. Everything dealing with the government has to be done with legal documents and official letterhead replies and most likely taken through the courts because of the way you are attempting to do this with one large group. You would be better off using the nonprofit to get a land grant and raise money to make improvements that will be required. Moderators please move this and similar comments above to a new thread of it's own.

Suanne have you considered paying for say a hundred sites for volunteers, speakers and a few special small groups on solar install ect. with everyone else in areas like the party RTR and individuals parked nearby within walking distance in the regular BLM areas to set up camp. Maybe have open campfire discussions locations and regular nightly gatherings posted with lighted flags in the RTR area.

Sorry I did not make myself clear I was referring the area the RTR was in last year that she stated the BLM said was the only place the BLM would allow the RTR to be held since time is short and basically use it as a day use gathering place with everyone who is not a worker or speaker camping in the BLM dispersed areas much like the Escapees, other groups like the party RTR and friends of Youtube people have done in the past. Although the LTVA's could be used also as they are nearby with no charge for day use you could simply walk from the dispersed area as it I believe is next to the LTVA.